WFC Hands-On Game Rant

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by iwasherenotyou, May 29, 2010.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Probably where Prime decides to leave Cybertron.

So either it's all G1, or none of it is G1 and G1 doesn't exist.

Now Japan is showing Animated, and if I understand correctly they are re-writing the story. So now, once again we have to conclude that they areboth Animated, or neither of them are Animated if they contradict each other.

It's just yet another log on the G1 woodpile.

2. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I went to the event and played the game for about 10/15 minutes (first level, 'con campaign as Megatron).

Meh really wasn't the word I'd use to describe it, and I've hated every TF game thus far. Although I'll agree the whole reducing ammo side of it was annoying (especially since I assumed I was using Meg's fusion cannon....surely that wouldn't run out?) but the transforming side of it was fine, didn't feel "too long" at all to me.

3. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Way to miss my point. I said that there will be no emotional attachments to the characters because we will know their fates.

4. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but somebody has to. Making things up isn't a valid way to debate or argue. The game ends with them leaving cybertron, presumably to arrive on earth. That's what Teiger's said. The fact that the same basic event happened in G1 means nothing. You're putting words in Teiger's mouth.

My strawman sense is tingling. I've never seen anybody say that the movies were G1. G1 is the various simultaneously running series from the original toyline, as well as continued comics/shows expressly stated and tied into the events of one of those series (IE: Beast Wars, IDW Comics, etc).

WfC is a retelling. It's inspired by. It draws largely from. But it's not directly tied in. Events are playing out different already, and the story is definitely not going to wind up in 1984 earth...

In short, it's not G1. It's just heavily inspired by it. I don't see why anybody would have a problem with that, as it means that the series has the possibility (FINALLY) of staying true to the concepts and FEEL of G1....while erasing the miriad of huge mistakes that were made in the original series. Such as the massive, uncountable continuity errors that seem to be confusing people so much that they think anything that involves the autobots leaving cybertron qualifies as G1.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Sounds like a lot of semantics and spin to me.

6. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

No, just logic.

Nobody involved with the game has claimed that it's going to dovetail into 1984 earth. We've got big differences in plot details, new designs, and the story is starting from the very beginning of the war. We've got neither Orion Pax nor Optronix. Jetfire is already with the Autobots. There is a massive list of things that don't fit within G1. And then there's the developers, who've said over and over that this series uses G1 as a touchpoint and inspiration. They've said G1 is the feel they're going for. Clearly, this is a rebooted series made by fans who hold G1 in high regard.

I don't know what the problem is. Maybe some fans have been burned too many times by reboots that claim to be channeling G1, and are attempting to label this as G1 itself to avoid having to think about the possibility that it'll get it wrong?

Whatever the case, with the amount of support and cooperation that Hasbro has given this project, it is inconcievable that they intend it to just simply dovetail back into G1. Apart from all the logical story related issues, as well as the statements of the developers, Hasbro is a toy company and is not going to tie this into a 25 year old story and set it on 1984 earth and re-tell G1. It's a fresh start, and it will strongly resemble G1, but that's all....

That's better than G1 in my opinion. It allows freedom to write better stories without being bogged down by inconsistencies, and it also lets whomever takes the reigns to look at what did and did not work in G1 and use only the parts that worked, as well as come up with new things (like dark energon!).

Thus far it looks to be about as similar to either the G1 cartoon or G1 comic as they are to each other. If THAT is why you're considering it to be G1...ok, I suppose. But it's separate from either of those continuities. It's not going to tie into one of them. It is it's own beast.

7. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How's the game speed? Did Megs feel slow? Is there ammo lying around to refill your gun?

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You obviously missed a crucial bit of info from an interview he had on X-play in which he stated G1 is a touchstone to this game’s look and story, but more importantly:

If you and others want to keep ignoring the words of Matt Tieger that's cool, but don't dare tell me I'm making shit up or putting words into Matt's mouth.

9. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

If you could provide me with a link to where those exact words were spoken, I'd appreciate it...

10. Takara_destron

Ebay:
    I wouldn't necesserily call him slow, but he wasn't particularly nimble (he can take hits pretty well though), his tank mode was a lot faster than I expected though.

As for the ammo, yeah I think there is, and you can pick it up from units you kill, but as I was playing it in a huge crowd of people I didn't have as much time as I'd liked have to get to grips with it.

11. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Thanks man, one last question, were the controls pretty tight?

12. Takara_destron

Ebay:
    Well I've never been a fan of 360 controllers yet I picked it up pretty quickly, so it's pretty tight in terms of "run, shoot, transform, change weapon" etc. They had sheets with all the controls for each mode (didn't really pay much attention to it, just wanted to play the game!) and from glancing there seemed quite a bit to get to grips with when playing properly.

13. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  14. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Honestly, there's a good chance you're going to end up disappointed. The way he words it can also be interpreted as that it will end in a similiar way to how the original cartoon started, but not exactly. "This is kind of where we finish". Besides, it makes sense for the gamestudio to have a similiar but not exact ending; that way the sequel can be "War for Earth", and a game-form retelling of G1.

15. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    which would actually be kinda cool IMO

drawing from the good g1 stuff from the toons and comics and you could have yourself a neat game to play! [and they would HAVE to try figuring out a way to do combiners. PLEASE xD that would be awesome]

16. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I would just like to add my two cents here, I am hearing a lot of people arguing whether or not the War for Cybertron is G1. The fact of the matter is whether you are for or against War for Cybertron’s inclusion into G1 you are arguing semantics. Essentially War for Cybertron is as G1 as IDW or Dreamwave comics, that much we can agree on. If IDW comics does not fit the (personal) definition of G1 then by that individuals standards it is not G1 however, in contrast based on the official word of the Game Director at High Moon Studios the War for Cybertron is linked to G1. Whether or not that link is to a new continuity or an attachment to an existing one (IDW, Cartoon, UK comic) remains to be seen. In the end War for Cybertron unity with G1 is simply based off of a given individuals definition of what is Generation One, as far as I am concerned though G1 is a catch all for something that bares a close resemblance (in design and character personality) to the 1984 cartoon and comics. So as far as I am concerned (emphasis on the “I”) War for Cybertron is G1.

17. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Indeed! Though it might be hard to properly introduce the "disguise" concept to the game, unless they're just going to continue their battle on Earth without caring about keeping their presence hidden.

I can see them keeping the conflict focused on Cybertron, though. Introduce new characters, let Shockwave or someone else who stayed behind be the villian...Hell, maybe even have Xaaron as the Autobot leader! :lol 

18. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Thanks man, appreciate the info.

19. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

20. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why hope for something not told to us since Matt stepped in front of the camera? Many here said this game was G1--showing quotes and what not--still many made the case that it wasn't despite all the signs.

I don't see this being a waste of time, as this game's story is telling a story we DO NOT KNOW. But if it's not your cup of tea, it's not your cup of tea...

EDIT:
    Doubt it. I like EVERYTHING I’ve seen so far. Bring a more mature feel to an old classic is fine by me. If events happen out of order or slightly changed, it doesn’t bother me, as the original cartoon had issues of its own.

Unlike Matt and many others, G1 isn’t just the cartoon for me, but everything Transformers during its first run.

You forgot about them leaving Cybertron and synching up to the cartoon of the 80s—he told us the ending… The original cartoon never really said why they left did it? I don’t recall. I don’t really care, actually. The very first episode rushed them off their home world to tell the story on Earth, so any back story is greatly appreciated.

The game’s touchstone is the cartoon from the 80s says Matt. While it probably draws from other elements, as seen in random non-G1 characters, characters built after they left for Earth and things we haven’t even seen yet, its anchor is the original cartoon.

As far as I’m concerned it’s G1 enough.