WFC Hands-On Game Rant

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by iwasherenotyou, May 29, 2010.

1. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
  2. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

The reviewer didn't hate it, but the verdict was that this game was for the fans, since it kind of is. The game was made BY fans too. I can't wait to get my hands on it myself, but I'll probably go the rental route depending on my finances.

4. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I can't trust the reviews of anyone who didn't like the RotF game. That was the best we've had.

5. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's not saying much. The game was clunky and unpolished. Multiplayer was the only fun bit and still it wasn't too great.

6. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    You mean there was a singleplayer section?

7. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Isn't he talking about RotF?

8. Thepower911

Thepower911 Decepticon

The reviewer seems like, he wants the game to be bad.

9. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    My review of this review? Meh. First of all, he makes it clear he's no fan of the property. Why does that matter in the context of the game? Then he says it's not a bad game, but that the Transformations take too long? Haven't we seen video of transformation on the fly? Sounds more like he doesn't like the style of game (he made the obvious Gears of War connection), and complained how both games color palette was blah blah blah.

Then he can't decide what was missing based on one level of play, said he's not saying he didn't like it but... Then he says the shooting mechanic isn't fun? Why? It's confusing, doesn't tell me anything I didn't know... I hate reviews/previews like this.

10. Metal Maverick

Metal Maverick Well-Known Member

As he pointed out, the game seems tailor made for the fans. As great as that is for us transformer fans, that doesn't mean jack squat to everyone else. The writer of this preview is just one of the kind of people that High Moon needs to consider if they want this game to sell well enough for any hope of a sequel.

Besides, it's still too early to tell for sure how that demo he played will reflect on the entire game.

11. Ceasar121

News Credits:
    Yeah, but the way he states it makes it seem like he's so against the franchise that just playing it is a chore BECAUSE it's Transformers. Not only that, but he gives no context on why there are better 3rd person shooters, what makes this one inferior?

Doesn't sound like an objective review to me.

12. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

I'm not sure if saying it was made "for the fans" is supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing.

It sounds more like an excuse here for why some may buy it. Obviously I'm a huge TF fan, I'm also a fan of video games. However that doesn't mean I'm going to go buy a mediocre game just 'cause someone slapped a licensed property I like on it. In games, gameplay comes first (for me at least). Batman: Arkham Asylum was the first licensed game I bought in a long time, not because it was Batman, but because it was a GOOD Batman game.

I'm still unimpressed with all I've seen from WFC (funny that the reviewer mentions the bland color palette, it's one of the issues I have with the game's look) and this small review doesn't bolster my hopes.

Still it's only one take on the game and I'm still curious to hear more reviews (from Game sites and fans) once it gets released.

13. sunbreaker

sunbreaker Well-Known Member

I'm also hoping wfc does transformers as good as arkham asylum did batman,
    with a good story campaign.

I just wish it was a bit more melee focused with some slo mo's to make it stand out more. I would rather see optimus battle megatron hand to hand than shooting at each other.

also only seeing the characters battle drones and not each other is a bit of a worry.

14. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't let one review out of the handful of positive ones we've received lower your expectations. The review itself really does sound rather biased. He even says he's never been that big of a Transformers fan.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I'm not sure what the heck this guy is talking about when he says that the Transformers property doesn't seem like a good property for a shooter game. Hello? THAT'S WHAT TRANSFORMERS DO. They shoot at each other, and then transform. I'm seriously wondering what kind of game he thinks TFs are suited MORE to if not shooters.

16. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    And, on top of it, he's basically saying he's being distracted by other stuff happening around him in the Expo hall. That definitely isn't helping the case any for this "review". Hopefully some of the other review sites get a chance to sit down and do a proper one.

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I think you guys are going overboard with the butthurt on display here and cries of bias just because a journalist said he wasn't a Transformers fan.

I am pretty sure reviews disagree with you there.

As far as I am aware, Melbourne House's Armada game on the PS2 was considered by the press to be the best Transformers game ever made at that point (and judging by reviews of later games, still is).

It's because the game seems to use nostalgia and the built-in fanbase as both a crutch and an instant audience to hide its deficiencies and guarantee a certain number of sales.

All games should be judged on how well they are made and how well they play, not because of how great High Moon and Hasbro were at injecting fanwank into it.

Usually, (non-game franchise fans are always significantly more tolerant of franchise tie-in video games that are objectively considered (by the non-fanbase and press) as average to bad games.

18. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

:thumbs2: :thumbs2: 

Exactly. The guy being a TF fan or not has nothing to do with how good a game it is. Let's face it, ideally we'd want a TF game so good that it would be considered a good game by the majority of the gaming public, fan and non-fan alike.

However if we end up with something lack-luster people will just hide behind the whole "for the fans" nonsense. That's not to say, good or bad, people shouldn't have fun with the game if they enjoy it, but to give it a free pass based on the name brand alone does a disservice to both the developers and the fans.

The thing with Batman:AA was that there were tons of touches for the hardcore BMan fans but it was still a great game to play for anyone who picked it up.

19. SpeedyDesiato

SpeedyDesiato New Member

Hi there! I'm Phillipe, the guy that wrote the article. First off, I'd like to say thanks for reading and taking the time to comment, it really does mean a lot.

I figure I'll take some of these head-on;
    I'm not at all against Transformers, I've always been rather indifferent to it. I'm aware of the huge cultural phenomenon that it is, but I've never been really that into it. Perhaps it's because I'm too young to have been a kid when the toys were about, but it's never really appealed to me. Sure, robots crashing into each other is cool, but it's never really grabbed me.

That isn't to say, I'll repeat, that I dislike Transformers. I don't dislike it. If I had to choose of the two, I'd say I liked it over disliking it.

I played War for Cybertron and felt it was an Ok game. You know, I can't give a full in-depth review of something I didn't get a chance to play in-depth. The reason why I say it's likely mostly for the fans, is because, without the license, it really did feel like 'just another shooter'. I don't have a bond with Prime or Megatron, so I'm not likely to feel attached to them when stuff starts happening.

Oh, I know that much, but when the shooting mechanic feels poor compared to other third-person shooters, you start to look for other things to do. I think that WFC would seriously benefit from inputting a more visceral close-quarters combat system, so that if I got in close, I could punch another Transformer and have it really feel powerful.

As has been mentioned in this thread, a good game is a good game (is a good game). Arkham Asylum was a fantastic game (again, I don't have any attachment to the Batman license) because it really felt like you were this utter badass. When playing WFC, I was hoping to feel like a big, badass robot transformer - instead, I felt like a surprisingly light tall dude with a pretty crappy gun.

Again! This was all based on the first level, and I've no doubt that the game does change up the feeling and vibe throughout. I can only give impressions of what I've played, and I felt that WFC needed a view that was from 'just another gamer', rather than a gamer/transformers fan.

PS: Metal Maverick hit it right on the head. Sure, I'm definetely not the target audience, but in the economic climate that the world is in right now, we really need developers to be making games that are incredibly kickass and ensure they stay in business.

Thanks, Phillipe.

20. Ceasar121

News Credits:
    How much different is it than Gears of War? How does it compare from the shooting standpoint?

What you stated above was more in depth than your other review, which left me not knowing what your opinion was at all. If it's fun it's fun, if not it's not. I agree, if the melee system is too shallow, it'll be a let down. Does it at least offer some sort of melee combo?

Honestly tho, IDK how one could complain about a drab color palette in a war game on a metal planet. Now if the game was taking place on earth... I liked Gears of War's drab muted color palette, so I doubt I'll care as long as the graphics are good and the framerate solid.