WfC/FoC vs Prime asthetics

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by General Magnus, Feb 22, 2012.

?

Wich aesthic do you prefer?

1. WfC/FoC

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Prime

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Both

14 vote(s)
    38.9%
  4. None (I like pie)

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So apparently this is required to be on a "neutral forum", so be it.

2. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime. The expressive faces alone make it leaps and bounds better than WFC.

3. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Extremely expressive

4. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

More expressive than WFC's "Mouth open, Mouth close."

5. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    The way the mouths move in Prime is one of the main reasons I find the Prime aesthetic to be insufferable.

6. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    They were pretty expressive, especially in the cutscenes. Starscream was smarmy as fuck in the cutscene at the end of the first level.

7. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Neck up, Prime. The other 90% of the body, War for Cybertron.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I prefer WFC/FoC.

Prime's aesthetic is... okay. I really like some designs, like Arcee or Soundwave, but most TFP character designs fall into the "just decent/does the job" category. I like the eyes the characters have, but the paper thin eyebrows don't work for me. And the ridiculously broad-shouldered/narrow-waisted thing on Optimus and Bumblebee doesn't work for me at all. And I love Megatron's robot mode but hate his vehicle mode.

9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Prime for me. It basiclly took what I love about the Movies and Animated and made them into something VERY appealing for me!:D  Just how thye look with thier different body designs alone is what's amazng. I don't even mind the eyebrows! Having them have very expressive faces also takes the cake! WFC/FOC is great too but it's aimed for the Hardcore G1 fans which is good. Also that the faces aren't very expressive and they look a little too huge for my liking.

Though there are desgins of WFC/FOC that I do very much like. I like how the Dinobots,Shockwave and Trypticon look!:thumb 

10. jordy

jordy Banned

News Credits:
    wfc/foc prime for sure, more detail more robotic like and as southtownkid said and I can't believe I am saying this he is correct, plus I am so sick of hearing a bumble bee that talks like a ******ed r2d2 unit!

11. power prime

power prime AutoBot Commander

Ebay:
    I think pie beats both prime and wfc/foc.

12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    WFC/FOC are all dull, unimaginative, overly blocky chunks of metal. Prime by far.

13. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

WFC/FOC isn't perfect but I think it works better as a complete aesthetic than Prime.

I don't see WFC as being anything like G1 aside from a few callbacks to the original designs and the sense of heft. Otherwise it's pretty alien, but in a refreshing way compared to the post-Movie/season 3 G1 designs which were kind of just "future Earth" rather than truly Cybertronian.

Prime brings a lot of Animated's verve and panache into the Movie aesthetic but they seem a little too cartoony at times, both humans and robots, for the more grounded and detailed look of a CGI series. A lot of what Animated did worked in 2D because EVERYTHING, from the buildings to the people to the streetlights were in that aesthetic. Prime has cartoony character faces and proportions meshed with fairly mundane looking vehicle modes and environments. It's okay when we have closeups on the characters but it's jarring in wide shots where those faces are up against realistically proportioned objects.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Prime wins. designs for autobots aren't "chunk ontop of chunk" and decepticons aren't haphazard piles of triangles.

15. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Both are good, but saying WFC characters have no emotion revokes any possible awesomeness you have in life.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Panache is a good word for it, and TFP has too much of it, imo. Too much of the TF Animated/Legion of Super-Heroes aesthetic, both shows which I like, but it doesn't fit as well in CGI, imo.

Yeah, this. Exactly.

And I don't mind the characters having eyebrows. I think it's a great idea and it really helps convey emotion. I just have a problem with the design of the eyebrows. They look too flat, like they were cut out of construction paper. Or like that Amaro guy in FLCL who had the seaweed eyebrows.

17. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    This. The characters look like caricatures of themselves and lack any real detailing, giving a childish appeal with hints of Bayverse. Hell, even though the CG is a decade and a half older, the Beast Wars designs are miles more preferable.

I don't think the WfC/FoC designs are perfect, but the canonical Transformers aesthetic is the Floro Dery-esque, blocky designs for vehicle-based robots. There is something visually satisfying about the proportions used in Japanese mecha designs and things that don't stray too far from it.

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Really?

When did any of them emote through body movements or facial expressions aside from "this guy is angry"?

Seriously. I played War for Cybertron, and such a thing never happened.

Say what? there is no one "canonical transformers aesthetic". each series has it's own. Hell, it's kind of crazy to say even G1 had a "canonical transformers asthetic", as the art style was all over the place across different mediums and eriods.

19. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime. I find most of WFCs designs just...boring and repetitive.

20. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    Broadly? Yes. The designs from G1, RiD, the Unicron trilogy, and the comics (until the recent IDW ongoing stuff) have all been roughly Japanese mecha-styled. I'm not saying there aren't nuances or inconsistencies to each series/medium, but it's pretty clear that they follow a similar aesthetic.

Beast Wars obviously didn't because of the organic alt. modes, but there were a lot of throwbacks in the form of the faceplates and helmets, and edged even closer overall with the non-organic Transmetals.

TFA and Prime are the outliers here in that they use the deformed proportions found in a lot of modern cartoons: fluid shapes with not so many hard edges. To me, this aesthetic is not at all appealing for robots who are supposed to be comprised of polygonal/rigid parts.