WfC/FoC NOT part of Prime Spoiler Warning

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Aug 29, 2012.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

While I dont want FoC to be connected to Prime either, some of your points are wrong.

1. Megatronus is mentioned in one of the audio logs

2. Ratchet was there fixing BB when they got hit and BB had to go on a mission. His voice had been lost before he gets shot in the chest

3. Aside from the head, the other thing connecting Cliffjumper to Prime is that he is the one you use to discover the Arcee poster= reference to their relationship

4. Though knockout might not be there, there are many autobot drones there that have his robot design if you look closely.

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Personally I think it's insane for Hasbro and the fans to want everything Transformers to fit together. I kind of like when a story can be told without the worry that somehow it will mess up the grand unified theory of everything must fit together.

Leave continuity to crazy people like Star Wars fans, I just want good stories and good characters even it doesn't all fit together nicely. If I can handle the Marvel "What If" comic books I think I can handle War for Cybertron not fitting into Transformers Prime not fitting into G1 not fitting into the live action movies.

3. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I explained my view on the whole 'Aligned Continuity' thing in another thread and a few people seemed to agree with me. While I can't find what I said, I'll post the gist of it here.

The 'Aligned Continuity', at least how I understood it, was to be a big SOURCE of information, like a big book with details and the like. Now, Transformers series for the next decade or so (however long HASBRO wants to keep the Aligned Continuity up), will draw inspiration from this book and use things that are mentioned in it's pages. Examples:

Aligned Continuity possessed DARK ENERGON. Every TF series that comes for the next few years won't necessarily HAVE Dark Energon in it, but if it DOES, it will have similar properties to the one used in WFC and the one used in PRIME because the gist of Dark Energon is explained in the ALigned Continuity BOOK.

As for characters, let's say Prowl appears in Prime. Because he was a NINJA in Animated DOES NOT mean he'll be a ninja in every series he appears in, but he CAN and probably WILL draw certain traits from that Prowl because, as part of the 'book/bible', Prowl has a few certain traits.

So, in short, without going into too much more. WFC/FOC and Prime AREN'T SUPPOSED to be linked together. They're their own seperate stories and things that draw information from the same source, the Aligned Contuinty bible (or w/e you wanna call it). The similarities exist because the attributes of each of them are drawn from the same place, a large source of information not meant to combine everything, but inspire everything.

4. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

You sir, seem to be the voice of reason. I salute thee. :thumb s up

5. changepas39

changepas39 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with this. To me WFC/FOC is more aligned with G1...

6. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    brilliant metaphor is brilliant (lol that's even a double entendre, light, brilliant um. lol?)

furthermore, not bending over backwards to perfectly mirror plot arks and character development allows each respective project to have more creative control. IE, if hihg moon had been forced to lign up perfectly with Prime, Rescue Bots, the books and even WFC, the ability to tell a good story in FOC may have been compromised.

Between the books, Prime, Rescue Bots, and the video games they are ALL different creative teams - it would a clusterfuck to have each team constantly referencing and conferencing with the others in order to maintain airtight continuity from one media to the next. Let them each do their own thing, but appreciate that we are getting a good working model for a g1 universe reboot effectively - wth fiction spanning the war on cybertron and interaction with human society on earth. It's also nice that Hasbro is bringing IDW into the aligned continuity with the FOC digi-only and the dinobots comics prequeling season 3 of TFP. I hope in turn this brings more fans into reading (and financially supporting) MTMTE and RID.

Barber at IDW works pretty closely with Aaron Archer to create a cohesive sense of continuity (he also writes RID, and edits MTMTE, and in fact Aaron Archer is frequently mentioned in the credits in the comics).

While IDW and the aligned continuity are different universes, it's pretty obvious that one of the big thrusts with all this continuity stuff is too make the characters consistent across medias, so Ratchet is a war-weary medic that is gruff but loveable in both TFP and MTMTE. (not the best example maybe cause he's always been like that but there are many mny examples i could list)

Hasbro is trying to give us the total package as cohesively as possible, and tie a toyline into the whole venture. I think overall they are doing a bang up job. How many otther franchises out there are coming up with like 4 good-OMGWTFTHISISAMAZING quality comics, a totally immersive video game with space trexors!, 2 tv shows, and some of the most complicated $15 toys on the market. nothing is perfect (exept maybe the comics!) but overall it is seriously a good time to be a transformers fan.

7. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:

this man speaks truth, don't be lazy and tl;dr

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Again
    and
    Again...

While WfC / FoC have a distinction of being part of the PRIME continuity family and G1 continuity family.

9. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    +2

10. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure WFC had a bit of a retcon from Prime. He was Orion Pax until he got the Matrix from Primus. He was never referred to as Orion Pax, he was called just Optimus in WFC. But Teletraan-1 calls him Orion Pax before correcting himself in FoC, which makes me believe it was retconned, and that the way the show explains it is what really happened.

And as for Dark Energon, it has always been a power-up for living Cybertronians, while turning dead ones into mindless zombies. Megatron was still alive in some shape or form after Metroplex's attack. His spark had to have been somehow intact. The same Megatron survived a point blank blast from an exploding Space Bridge. I wouldn't put it past him to survive Metroplex's assault.

And a lot of time passes between the ending of FoC and Prime. Things could change. I still would like to know how an Ark full of Autobots and a Nemesis full of Decepticons whittles down to the cast from the beginning of Prime.

I feel like the design decisions and voice casting is an artistic or business decision, if anything.

11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Before I get into this I'd just like to point out that I added a 13th reason to the original post because I woke up this morning and realized that I forgot to talk about Trypticon.

Never said it was G1. There are more inconsistencies with G1 than with Prime. The designs and characters are heavily influenced by G1 though. History is different but the characters designs and personalities are very similar.

Apparently you can't read. I said her PERSONALITY is different from Prime. I said nothing about her design because I knew you would respond with that.

Yes it did have to show in FoC because it's part of Bulkhead's history in Prime. He specifically says he joined team Prime right before they left Cybertron so him not being there means that this never happened. Even if Bulkhead did exist somewhere else on Cybertron he never joined team Prime before leaving Cybertron. Him not being there is a very big deal.

Still Bumblebee dies. He's shot in the chest and left for dead on the hull of the Ark before traveling threw the space bridge. There's no way he could of survived.

I didn't say anything about him not being voiced by the same person. I said he doesn't sound like the same character. There is a difference. Not being voiced by the same person means exactly that, that he wasn't voiced by Dwayne Johnson. Not sounding like the same character just means that his voice was significantly younger sounding and more high pitched than Dwayne's voice. They don't need to have the same voice actor but if the guy in FoC can't voice match that's a problem.

That makes no sense what so ever. Why would the era have any effect at all on what the effects of Dark Energon are? Being a different continuity would make sense like in Superman pretty much every version of Kryptonite except the normal green kind have a different effect on him in different continuities. When have you ever seen a version of Superman where Kryptonite has a different effect on him depending on what time it is?

I'm assuming it takes them to Earth because that's where they always end up when they leave Cybertron.

As for the rest of what you just said, it seems to contradict itself. First you states that Shockwave discovered dinosaurs running around on Earth which means it is 65 million years ago and then you say that High Moon said it's not 65 million years ago.

How does that make a difference? He never goes silent in FoC. He still talks in his G1esk robotic tone during the entire game.

Clearly you missed my point.

In FoC Megatron is killed, smashed into the ground, by Metroplex. Soundwave had to build him an entirely new body because his WfC body was damaged beyond repair.

In Prime Megatron wasn't dead, he was just in stasis with comparatively minimal damage. Knock Out was introduced as the medic because they needed to bring someone on to repair Megatron.

The two can not be the same continuity because of the fact that Soundwave couldn't repair Megatron himself in Prime means that he can't be the same character as WfC/FoC Soundwave.

You're so focused on the Knock Out not existing in WfC/FoC that you completely ignored the fact of Soundwave bringing Megatron back from the dead while Prime Soundwave clearly had no such capability to do that.

Grimlock very clearly rips him apart along with the other 2 Insecticons. No one in Prime has survived worse. FoC Hardshell took damage equivalent to Prime Cliffjumper.

Besides even he did survive how could he be found by Airachnid in that cave on Earth when he was left on Cybertron?

1. Different voice actor does not = different character. Different voice, meaning that the new actor totally fails to even come close to voice matching usually does = different character.

2. Different designs does not = different character IF THERE IS IN STORY REASON ALLOWING THEIR DESIGNS TO CHANGE. Different designs does = different character when the story clearly shows that their designs were NEVER ACTUALLY CHANGED.

Point in case. Megatron clearly has a reason in story for why his WfC and FoC designs are different. Optimus doesn't but there's at least nothing stating that he couldn't have changed his design at some point. Prime Megatron on the other hand sense we've seen him in flash backs and statues of him on Cybertron we know for a fact that he NEVER HAD EITHER HIS WFC OR FOC DESIGNS EVER IN HIS HISTORY. Basically Prime has showed for a fact that WfC/FoC is not part of it's history simply by the fact that Megatrons design was never changed.

3. I never said that a character has be shown in all media in order to exist in that media. What I did say was that Bulkhead clearly states in Prime when he joined Optimus' team and the events he describes happen in FoC but he's not there. I also stated NOT that Knock Out doesn't exist in WfC/FoC but rather just the opposite, that he didn't need to exist in Prime.

4. Movie Ratchet was never yellow. He's Puke green the entire movie trilogy. You're suggesting that he was only green in DotM. You're probably aware of the fact that I'm color blind and thought you could fool me but I can read. I was told of Ratchet's color back in 2007 as being puke green and I've never heard of him being any other color aside from his toys being occasionally repainted in G1 colors. So he's only yellow, as far as I know, if you're looking at him threw my eyes. Even if he did change color see my answer to number 2.

As for what you said about Optimus. FoC Optimus had already made that same decision as he battled Megatron on the hull of the Ark so the fact that Prime Optimus didn't change till the end of season 1 also means they're not the same character. Again you seem to be confusing character development within a story with characters just randomly changing for no reason.

5. Because neither Prime or the movies actually told that story. They talk about in present day dialog and limited flash backs but they've never actually shown the full story of how it happened.

6. I did watch a walk threw or something. That was said in the first sentence of my original post.

That doesn't make sense. The new body was only alive BECAUSE OF DARK ENERGON. He didn't build a living body, he just built a new body and stuck Megatron's head on it which is essentially the same thing as a corpse. He was dead, there was no trace of life left in him. Using Dark Energon seemingly brought his spark back rather than just bringing to life a sparkless husk.

Except he wasn't living, he was dead.

How could it happen before WfC when it happens IN WfC. The council named him Optimus Prime twice? That doesn't make any sense. Why would they need to do the same thing twice in the same history?

Prime History. Orion Pax becomes Optimus Prime pissing off Megatron and starting the war.

WfC/FoC History. The war has already been going on, Orion Pax becomes Optimus Prime only after Zeta Prime is killed.

One version Megatron is at the council meeting before the war starts, the other Megatron is not there and the war has been going on for some time already. In order for both events to take place that means that Orion Pax was named Optimus Prime twice which is redundant, pointless, and makes no sense what so ever. It makes more sense that these are two different histories than for the same event to happen twice in the same history.

It's a possibility but never been specifically stated that there are two different Arcees within the same universe.

That doesn't work because we already know Bulkhead's history. He specifically states that he joined team Prime before leaving Cybertron. He was part of the Ark crew in Prime. We never saw it but he did tell us this. It was in the same episode where we first met Wheeljack. Obviously that history never happened. Even if WfC/FoC did end up using one of your ideas to introduce Bulkhead it would still be out of continuity with Prime.

Even if that's true it's still a different history. Bumblebee dies.

He gets shot in the chest. If that doesn't kill him. There's nothing keeping him on the hull of the Ark and he would of fallen off going threw the space bridge sense he's at the very least too weak to hang on as Optimus and Megatron were doing. If he some how survived that and crashed on Earth he'd probably be killed either falling threw the atmosphere or on impact with the planet. If he some how survived that he'd be slowly dieing from the chest wound and the new wounds he would of picked up during the crash making it highly unlikely he'd ever be found by the Autobots for Ratchet to make any attempt at repairing him. His chances of survival are slim to none. Of course ignoring all of this it looks like he's dead right there in Optimus' arms so I don't know why I bothered with all the highly improbable survival scenarios.

But the new body WAS dead so the effect would be the same. A Transformer body being alive or dead is determined by weather or not it has a spark. Megatron's spark was extinguished in his WfC body. His FoC body would still technically be a lifeless husk sense it was intended to bring Megatron's spark back online it wouldn't have been given a new spark. So Dark Energon rather than only animating a lifeless body actually brought back a spark which Prime has never done before.

There's nothing different or special about the way Dark Energon effects Megatron than anyone else in Prime. Starscream wasn't dead so why would he turn into a zombie? It had the same effect on him that it had on Megatron.

The only real difference is that Megatron seemed to be going insane which is probably because he was exposed to it for so long.

Also, he never used Dark Energon on Cybertron. The stuff he bright back with him when he first "returned" to Earth in the pilot was the first time anyone in Prime had ever seen Dark Energon which is clear from everyone's surprise and confusion as to what exactly it is. Their reactions should not have happened that way sense almost everyone had used Dark Energon before on Cybertron. In WfC Megatron also infused his soldiers with Dark Energon so Soundwave, Starscream, and Breakdown had all been infused with the stuff already.

I really don't think there was any Gap YEARS. months maybe but there's no way that an entire millennium passed between games. WfC ends with Cybertron dieing. It's not able to produce Energon anymore and can't sustain life. That's the whole reason they're leaving Cybertron in FoC. If a whole millennium past during the gap between games than that would mean they actually could still survive on Cybertron for a long time. Besides Cybertron isn't really dead, it's said in WfC that it's just repairing itself and it's going to take a very long time. I think if a millennium had actually passed then Cybertron would already be back to it's normal life giving state again and they'd be returning to Cybertron rather than leaving it.

I answered the new form thing earlier but Soundwave does NOT have his minions. He has Laserbeak and that's it. What happened to Rumble and Frenzy? Prime Laserbeak is actually built into his chest while WfC/FoC Laserbeak just ejects from his chest like G1. The G1 version actually allows some room for other minions to be inside there even though real tape players don't work that way but the fact that you can SEE Laserbeak on his chest kinda spoils any possibility that there are other little guys in there.

No Knock Out and Breakdown were brought on to repair Megatron's body which from what we saw in FoC Soundwave should of been totally capable of doing that himself yet seemingly lacks the capability to do so making them entirely different characters.

Maybe but WfC/FoC Breakdown is not a medic. Although it's never really been quite clear exactly what he does for Knock Out so maybe Prime isn't a medic either.

Except he has a totally different personality in Prime so how would that fool anyone into thinking he's the real Hardshell. Plus if this were the same continuity then that would mean the Hardshell who was killed by Miko could have also been a drone and not the real Hardshell.

That only really invalidates 4.

5 also states how FoC shows that Bumblebee dies on the hull of the Ark after being shot in the chest by Megatron.

and 6 has nothing to do with Bumblebee at all.

He still dies getting shot in the chest so that doesn't make much of a difference.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Is that some unlocked achievement in the game?

What does that have to do with anything? See above. I answered this already.

12. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Thanks guys. Like I also said in the other thread where I mentioned this, it's unbelievable how hard some people make this to understand. Really like Wondsave's 'Characters consistent through continuites', says what I wanted to say in 4 words lol

13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Too much to read.

Going back to GoBots.

14. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Banned

News Credits:
    OP: Spoiler tags much?

15. soundwave142

soundwave142 Decepticon over-seer

News Credits:
    no, the thread title states there are spoilers.

16. Leonis Prime

Leonis Prime Ai-Megumi's Man

WFC/FOC is a modern retelling of G1 but based on the aligned continuty. That much is certain.

17. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

I haven't finished FoC yet, but I've gone through enough of it to at least know that #1 is at least partially incorrect. In WFC, Megatron alludes to an event between him and Optimus that is in some way connected to the war--Audio Logs in FoC reveal that Megatron once called himself Megatronus, and Optimus was apparently once Orion Pax. Obviously, the story still doesn't fall in line with the story presented in Prime, but my point still stands.
    I do agree that they aren't connected though, at least not directly. They share plot-elements, but don't directly connect with each other.

18. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Define Arcee's "personality" in WFC for me, then. Arcee only made cameos in that game, and never interacted with Optimus or his team.

No, a fiction does not HAVE to tell you anything. Bulkhead only mentions he left the Wreckers later in the war to join Optimus. For all we know he could've been on the Ark, but he doesn't have to appear.

Yes, because Hasbro will allow High Moon to kill the only character they care about or make oodles of toys off of. Transformers have survived worse, and by that logic Optimus and Megatron are dead too, since they were sucked haphazardly into the portal as well.

Lets see. Both Cliffjumper's are relatively rash, love to fight, can hold their own. Same Cliffjumper if you ask me.

I admit, Hasbro's answer about Dark Energon was the weakest attempt to rectify things.

In Exodus/Exiles it takes them to another area of space, and they end up going to Velocitron and Junk. No, it doesn't have to go to Earth. Ratchet said the portal was going haywire, so it could've flung them anywhere, or torn them apart, killing them all.

I meant that its likely that the game takes place that many millions of years ago, but I believe High Moon already said otherwise. I am not certain where. But FOC takes place many, many years before they come to Earth.

Yes. He spoke before coming to Earth. The Prime promo material says he stopped speaking before they came to Earth. It doesn't mean he has to stop talking in FOC. As I said, there's a lot of time in between FOC and them arriving on Earth.

Again, Soundwave rebuilt Megatron because he HAD to. By the time of Prime, Starscream fears him and for damn good reason. Not only did popular vote force Starscream to get Knock Out and Breakdown (he needs good PR to inspire loyalty when Megatron is gone), but Soundwave would've whooped his sorry ass if he didn't get someone to help Megatron. Soundwave didn't need to because Starscream was forced to get someone to repair Megatron.

Shockwave could just as easily have repaired him, since he is no doubt still alive even after Grimlock kicked his ass. He knows how to "make" Insecticons, it stands to reason he knows how to "fix" then as well.

[quote1. Different voice actor does not = different character. Different voice, meaning that the new actor totally fails to even come close to voice matching usually does = different character. [/quote]

Megatron has a completely different voice in WFC/FOC, yet this is basically the same Megatron as in Prime. Fred Tatasciore and Frank Welker are completely different in voicing Megs.

Read what you said about Optimus again. A character does not have to have the same appearance over every story they're in, even in the same continuity. We don't have to see an in-fiction reason for a change in design. Plus, why should the animators/artists of Prime have to reuse WFC Megatron's design when they already have the Prime design? We see all characters but Optimus/Orion still have Earth kibble on Cybertron, does that mean they're different characters as well?

Again, again, again. FOC did not have to show you anything. We did not need to see Bulkhead joining Optimus. He easily could've done so off-screen. And I already spoke about Knock Out in this post.

Yes, obviously I'm trying to take advantage of a handicap/disability/blindness that some guy on the Internet I will never meet has. And Ratchet is clearly a darker shade of green in DOTM, he is not the same color in TF1 or ROTF, just FYI. Your source is wrong.

What did Megatron do in both occasions? Nearly kill a close comrade/friend. Optimus was pissed as hell on both occasions. He lost his temper in FOC and this shows in the fight when Optimus goes berserk on him. In Prime, Megatron has committed who knows what else since FOC, and this finally convinced him for good that Megatron doesn't deserve mercy.

A flashback is a way of telling a story. Which is what Prime does in Operation Bumblebee, and the films do in the comics and mention in the first film. So yes they both told the story already. We don't need to see it again, but if they decide to tell it, they tell it. But right now we don't need it.

Well you didn't watch a walk through, otherwise you wouldn't have complained about Orion Pax and Megatronus, for example.

19. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Interesting read. Glad to see that HMS are still building more of a re-imaging of G1 than building a prequel to Prime :) 

20. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I also stated in my first post before I went into any plot details of FoC that...

Astrotrain, you had two clear warnings that there would be spoilers in here so I can't be held responsible for your choice to ignore them.