Heavy/Scratch: WFC CJ Upgrade Kit v3.5 (Production Ver.) (Available now, Bot mode pics inside!)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Treadshot A1, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

If you want your own copy of this kit, it's available for purchase at my Shapeways Store.

Bot mode pics are available (well, i made a mock up with sticky tape :lol ). Please check the 16th post.

It's finally here! I missed the delivery on Friday, so i'm really glad i didn't miss it today (even if we did have to wait extremely long to get it). The kit itself works just as it was intended to, so i will be making it available for sale shortly in my Shapeways Store.

Glad to report Production Version does equal Final Version. I'll shut up now and let the pics do the talking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I should mention that the guns in this set are the same as the ones in my Predacannon set, so for pics of those in action, please see this thread. All features of that set are retained in this one, except for the EAP, so this set's bayonets can also be Breacher-wielded!

I will go through how to use this set again: Firstly, the kit comes with 8 parts. The guns consist of 3 parts each (Gun, Skin and Bayonet), and the remaining two make up the CJ's Battle Armor (known as the CJAP [Spoiler and connector points] and SBA [Front bumper]). Of all these parts, only the CJAP must be attached permanently to the figure. The big part on the back of the car is where this piece is glued onto (it's pretty intuitive once you have it in hand), i recommend flattening the top of thecar before gluing this piece on. The other parts all slot together with their respective grooves and sockets. Transformation is unchanged, though you will need to remove the SBA for transformation to robot mode. All parts excluding the SBA can attach in Robot mode. The CJAP ends up glued on his back, and the guns can either be wielded, or put onto the CJAP to act as jump-jets/jetpack/use your imagination ( ;)  ). The SBA is generally put aside in this mode, though if you feel up to it, maybe modify it into a shield? I dunno. The kit itself was designed with the SBA removed for bot mode, but i'm sure some Radicon can think of a better way to use it. :) 

Of course, this set does need paint. You can have it printed in any of the Strong and Flexible materials, so you can have it printed in a variety of colours. This means all you have to do is paint the details. The kit is available in my SW store for purchase. :) 

Disclaimer: Spikes are sharp. Duh. They may be dulled a bit when they arrive to you, due to shipping (my set was mainly unharmed, by one side of the spoiler is a bit dull), but still don't give them to kids. Even adult collectors should be careful when playing with this, and always keep it out of reach of young children. Same goes for the bayonets. They are sharp. Use caution.

Attached Files:

2. 808kalams

808kalams Wrecked

Ebay:
    bot mode pics?

3. Treadshot A1

Right now i can't put up bot mode pics, as i am in Hong Kong, and don't have my tools (or glue) with me. Until i can get some glue and my Dremel (i get back to Australia in about a week or so from now), i can't show you bot mode pics. If i can find some blu-tak i might be able to make a mock up, i'll see if my aunt has some lying around.

How3ever, if you are in desperate need of pics in bot mode, please check the Predacannon thread, as CJ is shown wielding those guns (identical guns to the ones in this set, just in black) in that thread. I'm pretty sure i linked to that thread in the first post of this one.

4. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    I see Cybertronian Death Race right there. Make some spikes for Optimus and I could get interested.

5. Treadshot A1

Hmm, I would, but I don't own WFC Prime. What sorta spikes were you thinking of?

Heh, I was going for a death-race sorta style with this, though I don't believe I've ever really seen it. Good to know I got close to it, if only by blind luck. :lol 

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

See, I can see CJ using something like this, even without the guns - I've always pegged him as more of a melĂ©e fighter (one scene in the cartoon does not define him for me :p ), so I reckon he'd totally go for some spiky ramming armour (though even moreso if he could use it as a kickarse close combat weapon in 'bot mode)...

7. Treadshot A1

Well, i guess i can offer a version with the CJAP and SBA, if there was wnough interest for it. It would make the kit a lot cheaper as well, exactly how much so i don't know yet, but i could check.

As for the melee weapon, it is not possible to fit a 5mm peg inside the SBA, even though the underside is hollowed out. This is because the SBA is only 5mm thick at the curve, and i can only hollow out 4mm. A 5mm peg cannot fit in a 4mm trench. I guess it would be possible to rework the curve, turn it into a 6mm thick piece, which would allow me to shoehorn a 5mm handle for CJ, which would turn the piece into a spiky shield (so he can block attacks, and slam some spikes into your face).

Tell ya what, i'll get working on a newer version of the set: Gun-less, but with the shield function built in. I can't promise when it'll come along, but i don't think it would be that much work. For the time being, those of you who see CJ with guns can order this set, if you are desperate for the shield you'll have to wait.

EDIT: I work faster than i thought. Here's the new Close Combat Edition CJ Upgrade kit. As soon as i have the funds to test print this, i will post better pics and screenshots. For the time being, it is not available, unless someone wants to volunteer themselves as a guinea pig. ;)  When it is available, it'll only cost you $27 to nab one in WSF, assuming all goes well with the test print.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I wouldn't do it on my account, as I don't have, or plan to get the figure anyway - and to be honest, for some reason I seem to be in the minority in the "Cliffjumper =/= Gunner" camp. I just threw it out there as a suggestion...

9. Treadshot A1

Well, i need to differentiate my WFC and (i hope to get a) United CJ, so i guess WFC can have this set (he almost killed me when i missed the delivery), and i can give this one to a (hopefully forthcoming) United CJ.

If this test print works out, i will probably go and modify BB's as well, and make it standard fair for all versions of BB and CJ's upgrade kit. But of cours,e as it stands right now, i can only offer the version i have in hand for sale, as i don't have the funds to test print this one.

Actually, that's a good point: If you guys buy enough of this set, then the profit can be used to test print the CCE! :lolol 

10. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

looking good, I look forward to when you get home and have a chance to show off the robot mode.

11. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

oooooooo yeah. that freaking rocks

12. adconx2

adconx2 Cybertron D-Block

Ebay:
    looking good.

13. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Heh, thats pretty sweet, you could toss a wicked snowplow on there as well:thumb 

14. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That turned out well. After seeing it in physical form, I suggest modifying the front bumper, so it hugs the actual car mode's bumper, instead of leaving a gap. As well, I think the blades on the guns say Decepticon, not Autobot. Just a personal nitpick. I'll have to wait to see the bot mode before giving any more feedback.

One suggestion I do have. If your main purpose was giving a new front end to CJ's altmode, you could get rid of most of the bridge at the top. On the front of CJ's chest, there is an area, which you can design on your new bumper, that would conform and fit into. With glue, it would stay in place. As well, you would have to split the bumper into 3 seconds, since CJ's arms are the sides of the bumper. So part of the new bumper would have to attach there. Or depending on the look, it could remain all hanging off the chest.

15. Treadshot A1

Thanks all!

So many possibilities...a snowplow sounds so wicked... :drool: 

Hmm...i could curve the bumper back a bit to actually match the car, but i think that if the bridge and bumper were to be used as a shield/spike weapon (as in the Close Combat version), the hand might not be able to hold it if i pulled the bumper back. I'll see what i can do. :) 

As for blades being Decepticon-like, well, they are detachable, so you can just pull them off whenever it pleases you to. I just left them in there because taking them out wouldn't have made much difference to the cost. ;) 

You mean the yellow trapezium-like shape? Yeah, i thought about using that, but my main purpose was to add a spoiler and jetpack, actually. The bridge just sorta...happened. :lol  I'm not sure how one could attach a bumper to CJ's arms, as the wheel area is very round and smooth, i don't see an obvious connection point, barring maybe a replacement headlight piece. As for leaving it all on the chest, that would work, though i fear it might have repercussions on the articulation of the robot mode.

Still, i will take all this into consideration, thanks a lot Venksta! :) 

16. Treadshot A1

Found some sticky tape...

... So here's a very basic mock-up of the Robot mode (sans paint, of course). Hope you guys enjoy.

CJAP attached (normally glued on, so please ignore the tape ;)  ):

[​IMG]

Rear View:

[​IMG]

With Guns, Skins and Bayonets (Note: Pic shows the black skins that came from my Predacannon set. Normally skins would be the same colour as the rest of the set, but i thought this would be a good time to show the interchangeability):

[​IMG]

Full Body shot (Jet pack is very light, figure is NOT back heavy):

[​IMG]

Wield one, wear the other :lol  :

[​IMG]

Holding the SBA (I wouldn't get too close if i were you... ;)  ):

[​IMG]

And just for Venksta... No Bayonets!!! :lol 
    (thanks a lot bro!)

[​IMG]

So there you have it, the robot mode. I'm very glad that Cliffy has no problems standing at all, he feels just as balanced as he was without the upgrade to me. Do please remember, the skins would normally match the colour of the rest of the set, i used my black skins only because they show up better in the photos. And of course, your set won't have the tape. ;) 

Again, hope you guys like the result, and it is available in my SW store if you're interested. :) 

Attached Files:

17. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Like it. :thumb 
    The backpack works really well, and I'm glad the interchangeable skins worked out for you - that gives you a lot of options for future designs. :) 
    Be nice to get a shot or two of the back of the shield to see exactly how Cliff holds it - I'm thinking it could be cool if he can also hold the shield up over his shoulder and charge someone, using them as robot-mode ramming spikes. ;)  Just as a thought, it might also be nice to get some spiked studs running up the top of the shield (maybe two rows, running along the edges) - sort of like one of those studded leather-covered shields, only without the leather. :p  That should only add cents to the cost, but would add a little extra visual interest to the shield, as well as offering Cliff an extra offensive option (obviously these could just as easily be added by an inclined customer, but it's an option).

18. Treadshot A1

*He doesn't actually hold the shield through any special connector, i just put the SBA there, and then put his hand on top. As a neat side feature, his hand fits perfectly between the middle spike and the spike next to it, and the CBA fits in the gap between is thumb and fingers, so he can sort of grab it. But it's no solid connection. You'd have to wait for the CCE for there to be a solid connector point.

Also, i will not add any spikes to the bridge. The original idea was to make the Bumper attach to the CJAP (which had to be on the roof to facilitate transformation in to the backpack) as subtly as possible. Once i get back home and have some time to paint (after schoolwork and tidying up stuff), i will be painting the armor up red, to blend in with CJ (i will also give CJ a whole new paint job as well). The idea is that you shouldn't see the bridge much at all.

19. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Are you going to make a set with everything?

20. morgan1194

morgan1194 kitbasher

that is AWESOME