Customs: WFC CJ Upgrade Kit v2.0: Sneak Peek

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Treadshot A1, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

V3.5 is now ready. Test print is on it's way to me. Please check later posts for production version.

EDIT: I have added two more variations to this set to my SW page. These are the Bazookas Only and Guns Only versions. Basically, instead of coming with both sets of guns, you can choose which you want. The cost for a Guns Only set (that's the CJAP, SBA, 2x[Guns/Skins/Bayonets]) is 53 USD, while a Bazookas Only set (CJAP, SBA, 2x[Bazookas]) will set you back 55 USD.

Hey guys! Geez, i seem to have a lot more threads in RGD than usual recently. Maybe it's because SQ7 says that until i have physical pieces, all stuff goes here. But enough with rules and regulations...

...I present to you, the WFC CJ Upgrade Kit v2.0!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, what does this set entail? Well, first and foremost, you get CJ's new Battle Armor, pictured in the centre. It comprises two parts, the CJAP (CJ Adaption Profile) and the Spikes Battle Armor (SBA). The CJAP works by attaching to the roof of CJ's car mode, to the big back panel, so it ends up on CJ's back in bot mode. The SBA attaches to the CJAP through two 5mm plugs, simply plug-and-play. The two parts together have been designed to match the curves of CJ as closely as possible within Sketchup's parameters, so they will flow better with the car mode in general. The SBA itself nees no explanation, it covers the front of the car (it is as wide as the flipping panel that hides CJ's head) and also adds a spiked front bumper, inspiration courtesy of WFC Soundwave.

Also in this set, you get 2 sets of weapons. The first, pictured at the back, is identical to that which is available in the Predacannon DB Edition. Hence, you should all be familiar with the two guns, each using a 5mm handle standard for most TF's, and a 3mm lower barrel for attaching the bayonets. Bayonets themselves use a 6-3 clip, meaning an outer diameter of 6mm, and an inner diameter of 3mm, so they are interchangeable with the weapons of ROTF Breacher, Skystalker, etc. The two skins, which, if you don't know, are the odd looking panel things near the two guns, attach to the guns simply by slotting into the groove carved on the guns. They are special Vent Skins, so they have a thruster nozzle built into the back. These guns can be attached to the two holes on the top of the CJAP, the bayonets and skins remaining in place. This place means that the Vent Skins turn the guns into a "rocket propulsion unit", or, to you and me, a set of over-the-top rocket boosters, for extra high speed*.

The other set of guns comprises the two bazookas in the bottom right of the pictures. These guns are identical to each other, and serve as CJ's heavy weaponry, for when he needs to really put a dent in those 'Cons. These also stow on the CJAP through the top two holes as well.

Of course, there are some disadvantages to this set, i like to be honest about them upfront. Firstly, the CJAP. If you have WFC CJ, you'll know the roof of the car is smooth, with no usable holes/pegs/seams to connect a piece, especially not on the backmost panel. This means that the CJAP is permabonded to CJ, i.e. you must super glue it in place. This means he permanently has a spoiler and the connector points on his roof. There is sadly no way to avoid this, no other way of anchoring the part. It is a permanent mod. Secondly, the SBA, as useful as it is in Car mode, must be detached for robot mode. I have attempted to make it usable as a shield in vehicle mode, but gotten no headway on that idea yet. Maybe a Radicon can make that happen, i'd love to see CJ with a spiked shield. Thirdly, he comes with two sets of guns. While more guns is always a plusl, he ends up with four guns, and only two connector points. This means he can equip to his car mode only one set at a time, or one gun from each set. In Robot mode, this is not a problem, he can stow two on the CJAP (which ends up on his back), and hold the other two in his hands.

Also, as perhaps most importantly of all, is the price. Currently, it's ridiculously high, 70 USD. Now, this is slightly offset by the fact it includes worldwide shipping, and i know having bought some stuff from the States recently that shipping there to Australia can go over 20 bucks already, so this might serve as a boon to those of you in far off places like me, but if you're in the US and used to dealing with others there and the lower shipping costs, this might not help you much. I'm trying to lower the price right now, but i can't foresee it dropping too much.

Anyways, please comment, criticise, or even show your interest in this set (highly unlikely, but optimism never hurt). :) 

*Rockets don't actually work, of course, so don't expect your toy to break a land speed record any time soon.

P.S. There's no Bumblebee version. Because we all know, (Red Bumblebee + new head =/= Cliffjumper), but (Red Bumblebee + new head +sh*tload of huge weaponry = Cliffjumper)

Attached Files:

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

While I don't generally think CJ needs much in the way of weaponry (I think of him more of just a glass gas + fists kinda guy), this is kinda cool. I don't plan to get the WFCs myself anyway, but maybe you could also offer a spikes only version, with just the SBA and CJAP...

3. Treadshot A1

Ramrider, that is a good idea, as the guns themselves cost a fair bit. Also, given that they run on standrad 5mm peg holes, you can attach whatever weapons you like. However, as you can see below, taht may not even be necessary...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    (underside pictured, to showcase the material removed)

I have v3.5 ready to go, but just need it changed to STL to be uploaded to SW to check the price. Basically, there are two major changes in v3.5:

1) Bazookas removed. This is just to make working with it easier on my end. If people want the bazookas, they can be reinserted without much trouble.

2) The SBA and CJAP have both had as much material removed as possible from the underside. This is simply to save on cost, as v2.0 used solid plates, making it very costly. The new version saves on material, and this should hopefully lower the costs down.

I'm currently hoping that after all cuts are made i will be able to have this set available for under 40 USD. While i realise that still is a bit steep, when you take into account the original asking price of 70, this is as low as i can go. Also, 40 USD would hopefully include shipping anywhere in the world, so no need to worry about that side of things. Of course, until i can upload to SW i don't know what the final cost will be, but 40 is my best guess.

Attached Files:

4. Treadshot A1

Screw the rules, this is just too awesome...

Ladies and Gentlemen, i present....

....wait for it...

...WFC CJ Upgrade Kit v3.5 (Production Version)!!!

[​IMG]

I am happy to report that v3.5 has passed all checks, and the price has come down by a lot, down to only $42 USD.

So, what's changed? Well, a few things:

1) As in the post above, the model has been hollowed out from the underside. This is to save on material and therefore cost, the savings passd on to you, the buyer. This in no way affects the function of the model, and in car mode is not visible (the material is removed from the underside, which is between the pieces and the car roof in car mode, so you can't see it).

2)No more Bazookas. Good riddance, i say. Those things were way more trouble than they were worth, costing more than the guns/skins/bayonets, even though i hollowed out as much as i could on them. If they prove their worth, and people are interested, i might add them back, but as of now, they will not be in the final production version.

That's it. Everything else is untouched from v2.0. It is worth mentioning though that this is the Production Version, and my definition of that might differ from yours. By Production Version, i mean this one is the one that the first copy (mine) will be produced. Whether this means it will be the same as the Final Version depends on whether this one succeeds. If it does, then Production =Final. If not, then we go into further refinement. Simple.

Oh, and downsides. If you read the downsides in v2.0 in the first post of this thread, they are still applicable to v3.5, with one exception. There is no longer a need to worry about storing guns in car mode, as there are now only two guns.

Pricing is now no longer an issue. From the original ridiculous price of 70 USD, i have lowered it to $42, including worldwide shipping.

Attached Files:

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Looking good. Hollowing out the underside was a nice move. Have you made sure to check your wall-thicknesses are still high enough? I know how annoying it is to order a test piece and have to wait several days to find out it won't print. :p 

6. Treadshot A1

It's all good, Walls are at least 1mm thick on this one, so it will print. No problems. :) 

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Excellent. :D 

8. Treadshot A1

Too bad I won't have the funds to test print this for a while.

Well, actually, I do have the fundsbut because these use the guns that come with my Predacannon set, I want to see if that works, before ordering this one.

EDIT: Ordered a set. Screw waiting. :lol 

*Still has to wait 10 working days... :( 

9. Treadshot A1

Just a thought: if this set works, would people be interested in a WFC Gnaw conversion kit?

It would be this: first, take CJ's car mode and turn it 180, so the back is the frontand vice versa. Now imagine Gnaw's face there. Add a set of hind legs where the front wheels are (you'd have to remove the wheels) and a set of arms approximately where the back wheels are. Now, replace the SBA with a thinner piece that ends in a replica of Gnaw's tail.

Of course, this is just an idea, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

10. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

It rocks! :rock 

Hopefully if CJ is in WFC 2 he will look like this.

11. Admiral Lilwall

Admiral Lilwall Lilwall Leader

an interesting thought, but i think i'd wanna see some sort of concept image of it first...

12. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    So far so good. :thumbs2: 

13. Treadshot A1

Gnaw, anyone?

Just a WIP, added the fins on its back, and the start of the tail.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That is a very interesting idea; I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out. :) 

15. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Creative idea for an upgrade kit on that figure. Looking forward to seeing how it looks on Cliffjumper. Keep us posted. :thumb 

16. Treadshot A1

Heh, thanks. I'll get back to you on the Gnaw thing, but i don't quite know how to describe the figure to you yet, at least not in enough detail to allow you to draw the head. Of course, you could just buy a WFC BB... :lol 

OMG it's Venksta. In my thread... :jawdropper:  :lol  :lolol  Good to know the resident 3D guru thinks it's creative. :) 

17. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Heh. Yeah, that's not happening. Too little money, and too many things that I actually do want/need... :p 

18. Treadshot A1

There's nothing wrong with the toy...well, except for the fact it looks like crap in both modes... :lol 

I hope these kits can convince you otherwise. ;) 

19. Treadshot A1

WFC CJ Upgrade Kit v3.5 Production Version now in hand and good to go!

Yep, all measurements were correct, and the pars are now here. I will take pictures of them and post a thread over in RC of the actual product. Also will take this opportunity to re-recommend RoundCorner as a plugin for sketchup users, as it really made this model's pegs fit much better, more smoothly and quickly.

Will link to RC thread asap.

EDIT: Link

20. Treadshot A1

WFC CJ Upgrade Kit CCE (Close Combat Edition)

WFC CJ Upgrade Kit (Close Combat Edition) by Treadshot A1 on Shapeways

By popular demand, i have created a Close Combat version of CJ's Upgrade kit. This version comes with a modified SBA, thicker than the original and with a Shield adapter built in. There's also a 5mm handle included, but the gun set has been removed.

This kit is available for only $27, as compared to the $42 for the first version. I'll post better pics later, as i don't have the funds to test print this right now.