Customs: WFC BB Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Treadshot A1, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

So, what's up Radicons? I know i said in my other thread there wasn't going to be one for BB, but after a bit of thought into the process, i figured i'd make one anyways. This one, obviously, was much easier to make that CJ's, because the curve is the same, i didn't have to go through all the experimentation again to get the right curves. I'll let the pics talk to you for a sec, and then i'll get into the details of the kit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alrighty then, on to the detail description. Firstly, this kit comes with two parts. In light on Ramrider's excellent idea (in the CJ thread), i have removed the guns entirely, both to bring down cost, and because BB doesn't need anything more than that blaster he's got.

The first part is pictured at the back: the BB Adaption Profile, or BBAP for short. This part is similar to CJ's in that it forms the Spoiler of the car. It retains the 5mm plug holes from CJ's design (infact, honestly speaking, the difference is in spoiler choice only), so you can still arm BB with guns if you want (guns sold separately ;)  ), or any other accessory with a 5mm peg. Of course, like CJ's, the BBAP must be permabonded to the roof, so you'll need to whip out a bottle of Superglue/epoxy.

The second is the front part, the Front Wing Battle Armor (FWBA). This, like CJ's SBA, connects to the Adaption Profile through two 5mm plugs, so just slot it inand it's good to go. The FWBA is styled after a Formula One racecar's front wing, or at least my imagining of it (i'm no F1 enthusiast, so it's just inspiration to me). The wing is designed to be as curved as possible, to fit in with BB's car mode. Hence, where possible, edges have been smoothed out and rounded. The idea is that since this is WFC, BB not only uses this armor for extra speed, but he acts almost like Chaos 2 without the pneumatics (any Robot Wars fans out there?), i.e. a moving ramp. His front wing is supposed to allow him to get underneath a Decepticon, and 'scoop it up', thereby either sending the 'Con flying, or at least flipping it over.

This kit, as you can probably tell by now, uses a very similar system to CJ's, and for that reason packs one of the same issues in Robot mode. Namely, the FWBA must be detached. While i'm sure some Radicon will work it into a shield/stand/something awesome, the kit itself does not incorporate such a feature. The BBAP has no such problems, it stays attached to BB's back.

I'll have to stop here and mention that my biggest inspiration for this set was the Real Robots magazine from years gone by, which i built as a kid with my dad. I remember the F1 upgrade kit they had for their robot, called Team Cybot, and that drove me to make this kit. So while this kit is completely original (well, ignoring CJ's it's original :lol ), credit where it's due.

The only thing left to say is Price, which is probably the most important thing. This kit ends up cheaper than CJ's, so you can have your own for only $35, including worldwide shipping. Of course, until the test print comes out and proves itself to work, i'm not going to allow ordering, but it shouldn't be far off.

*Note: I know the render looks a bit fuzzy, not as smoooth as usual. I don't know why, but it's certainly not the model, you can see in the lineart that it is not made to be fuzzy. This should not be apparent with tthe actual model.

Attached Files:

2. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can't wait to see these attached to a figure.

I'll probably have to get this and the bazooka one for CJ.

3. Treadshot A1

Wow, thanks a lot Sioce. I can't wait to see it on my WFC CJ either (I'm waiting for United to get my BB).

Unfortunately, I have decided to remove the bazookas from CJ's version, so it is only available with the normal guns. Thanks for your interest in both sets though.

4. Treadshot A1

WFC BB Upgrade Kit by Treadshot A1 on Shapeways

[​IMG]

Wow, i've been way too lazy with this kit. Anyways, now that i have finally managed to track down a WFC BB, i can order the first test print.

I've also changed the kit a bit, in the sense that it now runs the same shielding clip as CJ's does. The means that the new FWBA can be deployed as a handheld shield in robot mode.

Attached Files: