We've lost another from the Greatest Generation, and I lost a Grandfather

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PurdueAV2003, Jul 9, 2011.

1. PurdueAV2003

PurdueAV2003 Engineer

News Credits:
    First off, I want to state that I am not posting this for sympathies or condolences, but to celebrate the life of a good man.

My Grandfather passed away last weekend at the age of 89. He was a farmer and rancher most of his life, except for the years when he served in the Army Air Corps during World War II. He served doing maintenance and loading munitions onto aircraft with the 12th Bomb Group in India, and was one of the inspirations that lead me into aviation. He was a hard worker for himself, his family, and the community. Despite having spent 3 weeks in the hospital back in April with congestive heart failure and his kidneys starting to fail, he was up on an old wooden step ladder just 10 days before he passed, trimming limbs from a tree with a chainsaw for his church. If there was something that needed done, he didn't fuss about, just did it.

He went out on his own terms, just like he would have wanted. He woke up from a nap, had lunch, got a haircut and a shave, laid down and closed his eyes. We'll miss him a lot, but I have so many great stories to tell my daughters.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    You may not have posted for them but you got my condolences sir. Sound like your grampa was a great man. Good to know I wasnt the only guy with a gramps in the Air Force. Lost him a couple months back :/ Best wishes man. :) 

3. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I know the feeling. My granpa had the best war stories, even if the weren't much heroic as much cowardly but awesome none the less. I swear to god that man could have gotten out of ANY situation! :lol 

My condolences and best wished to you and your family. It sounds like he lived a great life :) 

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    My condolences to you and your family and i salute your grandfather's brave service for our country.

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    My condolences as well. Makes me thankful that my Grandfather's still around. He also served in WWII, but in Europe. So many stories that that generation has that are sadly going away.

6. PurdueAV2003

PurdueAV2003 Engineer

News Credits:
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate your thoughts.

I know what you mean about losing the stories. My grandpa thought about this 5-6 years ago and started writing some of it down. We have a written history of the important details of his service, but, unfortunately, I know there are some stories I heard that didn't get written down. There were a few times when I would come home from college, and we sat around talking over a couple beers. I wish I had a recording of those conversations, because those were some of the best!

7. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    Sorry for your lose. Its not easy losing people we love but its good to know you have stories and good memories to look back on. My Grandfather passed almost 5 years ago he served in the Navy during WWII. We all miss the ones we love.

8. Stormcrow

Stormcrow Well-Known Member

My condolences.
    Here's to a fallen hero.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I send condolences as well. He sounded like a pretty cool guy.