Customs: Wet paint, How does one deal with it.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Vincymon, May 12, 2010.

1. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

Do you find that some paints seem to never quite dry.

I am working on a scratch build figure of mixmaster. I have painted part of the cab black since last week Tuesday. Its been a week now and black paint still rubs on my fingers every time i work on it.

No doubt it will need a fresh coat of black paint when i am done. But this is getting annoying.

PS I am not even using a special brand name paint, its just some cheap school-kids' paint ( it gets the job done ).

How long do you guys leave a figure to dry ?

Is it best to just avoid paint until all the customizing is done ?

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think your paint choice is the problem here. Acrylic paint tends to dry to the touch in 20 minutes or so. One reason some artists (like myself) like to use acrylic is the drying time. I'll also set my parts under a desk lamp to increase drying and curing times.

From what you've posted, my advice would be to get some different kind of paint. I hope that helps! :) 

3. roadblaster

roadblaster Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My classics Prowl has black paint apps that smudge when I transform him, so its not just us 'amateurs' who have this problem!!
    To add to what Superquad has said, paint can react in different ways depending on what you are putting it onto. What can cure in hours on metal can take days to cure on plastic for example.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Are the black paint apps on your Prowl custom applied by yourself, or was this a problem from the factory (as that mold has some paint issues anyways)? I recently coated my Prowl with Future due to the factory paint issues reported.

Regarding paint and the surface material, that's exactly right. As others have discussed as well, even different types of plastic react differently to paint.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

There's your problem. And it doesn't look like it's getting the job done, either.