Westernisaton of Japanese Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Phoenix Blaze, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Right, simple questions which will no dobut have a simple answer, but it'd be nice to open some discussion.

Over the years, Japan has been steadfast (or so it seems) with their use of Destron, Cybertron, Convy etc. BUT why then when Animated hit over there does the intro say "autobot leader Optimus Prime!".

That's like to veeery big Japanese things thrown right out of the window. Does the rest of the show follow this more patten with Decepticons?

Has it happened in the past? Was there a distinct moment and/or reason for things to change?

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

It probably has something to do with their version of TFA being a prequel to Bayformers.

Or, the simple explanation for everything... Japan is weird.

3. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

Not sure as to how do I answer that, but I kinda get the vibe that they wanna separate what they consider one continuity (G1-whatever hentai crap they made), from another (they consider the Bay movies and Animated to be another continuity). Now what are they implying by all of a sudden changing names I have yet to discern.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They did it with the Movie stuff first (probably in part because they re-used English packaging on that) - And they decided to link Animated with the movie universe. (even calling Bulkhead Ironhide, and Ironhide ... someone else.)

5. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Oh, and the whole idea of Transformers being "westernized" in Japan is hilarious. The franchise was built by "westernizing" Japanese toys.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    TFA Ironhide is now TFA Japan Amorhide......

Yeah, i miss the sound of Convoy....I was wondering how Convoy would of been handeled in Japan?

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    United I think is also going to use Optimus Prime, Autobots and Decepticons.

Honestly, I don't see it that big a deal. Transformers is advancing to become a global brand. It makes sense to unify the names across all media and all territories.

8. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Yeah, plus that can make room for Convoy becoming a separate character like in Beast Wars continuity.

9. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    But, I always liked how they said 'Convoy' in the cartoons, it was so, Japanese...

10. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

How the hell is an English word so Japanese?

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gratuitous use of English is pretty Japanese, actually, especially if you pronounce it "KOHNBOAAAH!" ;) 

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  12. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Decepticon still sounds horrid in Japanese...

13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Is that even still valid, or are you going off from early pre-release coverage there?

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Can any Japanese members let me know if they find the US/European etc versions of Transformers as bizarre as 'we' find a lot of the Japanese stuff?

I just wondered if it works the other way around as well. Just to be clear - NOT knocking the Japanese or their culture, I just find their interpretation of TF fiction/media somewhat eccentric at times.

I just wondered if Western TF series come across the same way?

15. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's a bit of a shame, but then again I really don't approve of Takomy trying to unify every single line into one continuity.

So long as they don't rename reissue toys I'll be fine with it. :lol  it would just be wrong to release an Overlord called Gigatron and Dezaras as Deathsaurus. (I really don't know where Deathsaurus came from, Dezaras never turned into a dinosaur)

16. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:

And yet America does just that with the multiverse. Okay, so perhaps everything doesn't happen in one timeline but everything does happen and there are doors opening between continuities that shouldn't normally connect.

17. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    The Japanese version of Animated isn't in continuity with the movies, it just has some changes (like Bulkhead being renamed Ironhide) to make it closer to the films.

As far as Japan adopting English names, it hardly matters to me, although I always thought Convoy was a cool name.

18. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^This. It amazes me how many people still cry that Hasbro is ruining Takara's product....

19. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    All I know is that some Japanese fans actually prefer Western Transformers fiction, or at least parts of it, over Japanese fiction.

20. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Well-Known Member

It hasn't been confirmed as yet that TF United will use Americanized name. since TF United was the rename of Henkei! Henkei!.. which is an analogy to american TF Classics/Universe/Generations releases.....

for now, only ALERT got americanization... into RED ALERT (possibly to avoid confusions with MACH ALERT fron RiD (?)). the WFC dudes still remain japonized.

変形!ヘンケイ!トランスフォーマー - Wikipedia

and the name was not confirmed yet. or is this one can be cosiderd official?

and the blue-highlighted characters are all appeared in TF: War for Cybertron, and its japanese name says the following

maybe Takara assumed that Japanese WFC players are ALL G1 fans. remember that this game sold in Japan as a pure IMPORT since it was Hasbro-endorsened project and not of Takara as in the past (and it seems that High Moon made this game exclusively for G1 fans). the Japonization is considered useless (it will take a whole year! to recruit the new Starscream voice act, to make japonized scripts, and to make sure Issei Masamune will do narration thing oncemore meow, and to be honest. i prefer Masamune's narration over Victor Caroli ones, and to do a roll call for both Seizo Kato [The Emperor Megatron] and Pirouette Genda [Commander Convoy].. lots of time and investments for a handful Gee One fans!). However, there's still lot of work for Takara, to make a set of pack in comics for those releases (???) yet. since WFC storyline clearly pointed that that "Prime" is title, while "Optimus" is honorary given to Orion Pax (even before to his inaguration !!) ... that comes a new question. how does Orion Pax gets the name Convoy there? no official japanese texts said about the origin of the name but i assume that it was Orion Pax's codename thing given to him by Alpha Trin. (and sometimes during the present civil war. Orion Pax had been transfered to military service and Convoy became his code name) and to be honest. no official G1-era Japanese text mentioned of any Cybertron leaders before him. only in Galaxy Force do such phenomenon occurs. and it comes to Vector Prime! yes he was called as such in Japan, which it suggested that Japanese might accepts the rules that "Prime" is "Official" title of every Cybertron leaders, including Convoy himself.

Anyway it seems that Takara tries not to follow its traditions. or they just simply have no choice since Bay signs a deal with Hasbro alone and not with Takara (this saves the cost! but trust me. a japanese TF fan whom i've contacted him through EMAIL still called TF:Revenge Constructicons as Buildrons!) and soon Takara found out that it was not so easy to make such changes.

or isn't it?

PS: TAKARArefers to both original Takara Co. Ltd. ,and also its successor company, Takara Tomy Co. Ltd.