Were the movies that big of a deal at first?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SHINOBI03, Jun 30, 2012.

1. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

In America anyway...

A lot of fans treated them like they are an awaited reboot of the franchise after years and years from the first series.

But, The reboots were kicked off by Beast Wars in 1996, And afterwards was Beast machines in 1999. But as in 2001, there were Transformers for every one or two years. 2001 was Robots in Disguise, 2002 was Armada, 2004 was Energon, and 2005 was Cybertron. And two years later, the live action movies.

Again, it would be understandable if there was a huge time gap between the first series, but as mentioned, there were already Transformers shows that filled the gap and they were around us ((Well, technically, you the Americans)). So, why the excitement back then? Was it because it was a live-action movie? Was it because it had Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime again? Was it because it had a lot of characters that didn't appear since G1? Or was it for something else?

2. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    It was all of the above and more.

3. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

The reason they're such a big deal is because we were getting a freaking live action movie based on our favorite franchise. Same reason it used to be a big deal when comic book movies were released, even though they're now made all the time.

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

For some people the movie stuff blew up from the first day they announced that Micheal Bay would directing a live action Transformers movie. Micheal Bay is a rather controversial director since people tend to either love his movies or hate his movies. There as also the looming question of could a toy line work as a movie because Masters of the Universe sure didn't win many hearts.

Retailers totally underestimated the demand for the first movie figures and odd as it sounds now parents were scrambling that Christmas to find Bumblebee.

Americans seem to love technology and they love a good vs evil battle so the combination of the two seemed to work for the film's target demographic.

Oh yea and the release date helped as well. If you throw out a big budget action film right at the 4th of July then it's hard not to make money, it's almost like that date prints money for movies.

5. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It’s relatively simple. It had nothing to do with the fact that it was a “reboot”, like Beast Wars or Beast Machines. The reason why it was a big deal when the first film was announced was because it was going to be the first live-action movie. The two key words are “live” and “action”. No one simply had any idea of what Transformers would look like in live-action, and the prospect, for Transformers fans, was beyond exciting.

It would be the same for any live-action adaptation of a similar property, whether it be Thunder Cats, Voltron or Masters of the Universe. You don’t really get much bigger than a live-action film. At least I don’t think so.

6. gawddammit

gawddammit Rocketchoochoo

News Credits:
    You have to understand that, for most people, the newer stuff didn't exist. I pretty much stopped with Transformers with BM, and Armada pretty much cemented it. That all changed when I was sitting in the theater, and I saw the first teaser trailer...that hint, of just seeing the Autobot badge on Bee's steering wheel...

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could not be more concise than this.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yes.

9. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    They inspired a slate of cartoon live-action adaptations. So yeah.

10. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

It did revive the franchise domestically. After Beast Machines winded down, Hasbro more or less sat back and just brought the stuff Japan was making over which wasn't even selling that good, and figured TF's popularity like it was in the 80s was just done.
    Once the film came out Hasbro discovered TF could still be a viable property to work on, and started making stuff locally again.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It was a big deal that Transformers was finally getting a big screen big budget live-action movie. Finally the general population and people that mattered to us like friends and family would be able to see in big screen live-action why we loved Transformers so much for so long.

I think for some though it became less and less of a big deal the more we found out about it during production. I remember the early official TF movie messageboard, full of optimism and excitement. Then Bay was announced as director, and that first Starscream concept sketch showed up and people were like 'WTF?' at the design direction for the TF and that couldn't possibly be legit, and some people had to readjust down their hopes for the movie.

12. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For the fandom, yes - it was as simple as the fact that it was a live action movie.

For people in general, yes - it was a movie based off of a well established franchise with an enormous promotional campaign attached to it.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

While the cartoons might have been imports from Japan I don't know that was a horrible decision and turned kids off from Transformers. At the time Hasbro was importing Transformers cartoons we were seeing the shift away from imported cartoons being rare things you only found at comic book convention DVD dealers to main stream with Kids WB and other cartoon blocks going more anime.

When I jumped back into the hobby at the tail end of Cybertron it sure looked like retailers were giving Transformers a good deal of retail space. If the Transformers toys weren't selling strong to kids I don't think they would have given up so much shelf space to the brand.

Transformers seems to have been doing well as a brand before the movies it's just that most adults weren't paying it as much attention.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    These days I find TF has less shelf space than ever. And what space there is is usually yellow. What the hell happened between Cybertron and now?

15. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    QFT

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    When the movies were first announced, it was HUGE. When the first designs popped up, it created traffic on TFW that I STILL don't think has been matched.

We had no idea what to expect back then, but we knew it was going to be HUGE. The people involved were indicative of a massive summer blockbuster. This was before we had really seen a lot of "80s cartoon/property" updates into new movies, and was an era when Transformers was doing okay, but not like it was in the 80s.

People had high hopes, and there were a lot of divergent ideas about how things were going to go. But that kind of interest and anticipation was MASSIVE, especially compared to the sequels.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The Summer of 2007 was the Summer of Dreams.