Were the 80's and early 90's the best time for cartoons?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Sideswipe80, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the 80's we had Transformers, Voltron, Robotech, Bionic Six, TMNT, Thundercats, Mask, Mighty Orbots, Muppet Babies etc..

Early 90's we had Disney Afternoon, Exosquad and that's about it.

What has happened to cartoons these days? The only good ones I think of Batman, Superman, JL, JLU and Batman Beyond.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

You "grew up" and became nostalgic, that's what happened. And those cartoons you named as "these days" are mostly 90s cartoons anyways.

PS- the vast majority of our 80s and 90s cartoons were just as shitty as the vast majority of today's cartoons. The perceived quality between them only exists within our heads.

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    No Animaniacs? No GI Joe? FOR SHAME. :p 

But yes, 80's and early '90's were great for afternoon cartoons.

4. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    I hate that line. I still watch all of these and I'm 30 and still enjoy. Gee whiz man why do people find it difficult to still like something that is old w/out being nostalgic?

5. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Well I did put etc.. lol. But yeah I liked the Joes.

6. gil

gil Godmaster

80's cartoons were cheesy. But the whole 80's were cheesy. Transformers of the 80's won't work today, along with all the rest of it. But we were kids back in the 80's and we didn't care if it was cheesy or not.

I really can't say if the cartoons today are good. I'm an adult, and most guys I hear rating them are probably not kid's themselves. Look at what you say are good today. Batman, JLA, etc. Cartoons that older people would like too. The kid's today probably love Pokemon, Digimon, that other one with the tops, but since we're adults, we don't really care for it.

7. smkspy

I answer your question with a question. Why do people find it so difficult to like something new as they get older? If you stop pining for cartoons of your youth, then you might appreciate some of the cartoons of today. There are plenty of good ones btw: The Clone Wars, Batman: The Brave and The Bold, Wolverine and the X-men, The Fantastic Four, and The Mighty B just to name a few. Least we forget all the cartoons now being created with us in mind: The Venture Bros., Frisky Dingo/Archer, ATHF, Metalacalypse, Harvey Birdman, South Park.

Sorry dude, the diversity of cartoons today beats anything we had growing up in the 80s and 90s.

8. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Strongly disagree. When I was a kid, I used to get up on Saturday mornings in the mid to late 80s and watch cartoons from 6:30 A.M. to 1:00 P.M., starting with Fantastic Max and ending with Pole Position. The 70s and early to mid 80s were a Golden Age for Saturday Morning Cartoons.

9. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Maybe you should read my post, I mentioned some of the newer ones. JLU, JL, Superman, Batman. I'm pretty sure those aren't shows from my youth. And I tried watching today's stuff. Only one that was good was the new TMNT before the Fast Forward saga. Don't assume things, thanks! And if you have a problem with me, please PM me. This is not what this thread is for.

10. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Haha I used to watch Fantastic Max, lol.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Indeed the tender years of my childhood were spent watching cartoons every Saturday morning!

12. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I'm not an 80s child and can't really watch many 80's cartoons w/o cringing.
    But 90's toons I still love because of both nostalgia and some of the hidden adult humor they snuck in. Animaniacs, Batman:TAS, and almost all of the Cartoon Network toons (back in their "Golden Age") and Toonami programs to name a few. And yes, Pokemon :) 

I'd disagree that all the great toons were only in that period, however. Quite a few modern cartoon series are still being made that are actually quite amazing.
    And I don't know if you fancy anime or not, but Japan pumps out a lot of new stuff. Sift through some of the crap, and you're bound to find a series that is gold.

13. smkspy

And the majority of the ones you mentioned are cartoons from the late 90s though I don't see why you distinguish early from late 90s.

Batman Beyond-1999-2001.
    Superman- 1996-2000.
    Batman-1992-1995.

Justice League/JLU is probably the only modern cartoon you listed.

I have no problem with you, but your thread is for irrational bitching about today's cartoons, while pining for the cartoons of the 80s and 90s.

Sorry, but you created the thread. Don't be mad cause I disagree. But ultimately, yes, it comes down to us growing up and not being able to relate to a lot of cartoons being produced for today's children who have many more home entertainment avenues open to them than we did. In fact, I'd say that today's cartoon have more thought put into them than more of our cartoons because of that competition from the internet, cable television, and video games.

That's the very definition of being nostalgic. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in those days too and miss them greatly, but they have nothing to do with the quality of the programing. The vast majority of the shows were crap. Golden crap to us as kids (and some of it even today is still enjoyable), but crap nonetheless. Like I said, there dividing line where cartoons of say the last fifteen years (since that seems to be the dividing line) suddenly all became crap with a few superhero exceptions.

14. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    First off just because I state an opinion it's irrational? How am I whining? You know what I'm just placing you on ignore. Always 1 person who comes into a thread with an attitude.

Back on Topic.The only modern Anime I've seen is the new Guvyer series. I liked that. I'm not a big Anime watcher though. Any other Darkwing Duck fans here?

15. smkspy

And life goes on....

16. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    The only 80's cartoons I can stand are Transformers and Thundercats, but that's because I watched those in the 90's as a kid. This at least proves smkspy's reasoning applies for me I guess, especially considering I wasn't even conceived until the 80's were over.

However, I'm still able to enjoy today's cartoons. Cartoon Network has been cranking out comedy gold that speaks to the "Lol wtf?" Internet-generation kid in me with stuff like Adventure Time, Flapjack and Chowder. Like someone else on these boards mentioned, those shows are about as close as we're going to get to the older seasons of Spongebob nowadays.

17. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Maybe I'm getting old, some of the internet humor of this generation I don't get at times. Never thought I'd be saying that lol.

18. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

My dad says the best era of cartoons were from when he was growing up. He thinks all the cartoons I grew up with in the 80s and early 90s are shit.

19. smkspy

I still don't get Spongebob. I'll gladly watch it with my nieces and nephews who LOVE it, but I'm just meh to nearly everything about it. Now put on Ren & Stimpy, and I'll ball out laughing. Honestly though, there really isn't much difference between those shows or their sense of humor besides the fact that I watched one growing up, and I watched the other as an adult.

20. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

HEY! Don't forget the genius of the Cartoon Cartoons. Amazing shows- though a lot of them did come out in the 90's... or did they? Anyway, the 11-minute cartoon was only beginning as Animaniacs and Freakazoid showed up, but Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, and Billy and Mandy perfected the art. Of course, the DC animated universe gets mad props (Teen Titans FTW!), but there have been quite a few random shows over the past two decades that have sported great writing and animation- The Life and Times of Juniper Lee, Danny Phantom, and My Life as a Teenage Robot, to name a few.

Now, I'm not really sure how I feel about the 80's. I've seen a good deal of animation from the time period and while it introduced a slew of faces that we recognize today as foundations of our pop/cartoon culture, no show really exemplified stellar animation and rarely displayed fantastic writing. Now, that doesn't mean they didn't have some well-written episodes, they just overall had very cookie-cutter adventures and lacked some of the quirkiness and smart writing of the more recent cartoons.

I'd say 90s and early 00s were the prime of current animation standard. Spongebob is pretty much the archetype of clever writing and solid humor. I mean, the best time for cartoons was the freaking Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and Disney era- and maybe even Hanna Barbara. That was genius.