Went to Gamestop today

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Seth Buzzard, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    So for Christmas among other things I got a Gamestop gift card and checking there site this morning I see they are doing one of there buy 2 used games get one free deals so I thought I would swing by after work and see if there was anything I wanted. Here is a picture of part of the line waiting to get to the counter.

[​IMG]

I have never seen the place so packed. The longest line I can remember seeing was 5 or 6 people long. This line was from the counter all the way to the back wall and at lest 8 (for not more) people long past the right side of the frame. They had a chick going up and down the line looking for people that wanted to trade games in so she could start doing that before they got to the counter. I got back to the 360 section and it was picked clean, anything of interest was GONE. Oh well they run that deal fairly often so I'll just wait for next time.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    ZOMG iPhone pic.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    How can you tell? The 2 mega pixels of suck?

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

you should have seen the line at my gamestop when Smash Bros Brawl was released. The line had about 100 people in it. We all picked up our game surprisingly quickly.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah, it was insane EVERY GS and EB looked like that too. I"ve never seen a buy two get one free sale that busy, it must hve had to do more with being day after christmas than the sell.

I went looking for: Force Unleashed, Gears of War 2, and Fallout 3. Found FU, but no GoW2 or FO3. Its was nearly the same at the other four franchises throughout the city. Never saw GoW2, but each either had FU or FO3, but never the two together. Finally settled on Prince of Persia, Uncharted, and NG 2. Strange that PoP was only $35 being that it was so new.

6. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    that's freaking crazy.

I know they ran a circular for doorbuster's today .. but nothing was on sale! They just mentioned that WiiFit was going to be in stock.

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I worked at Electronics Boutique a good 8 years ago, the day after Christmas was out busiest day. It may not have yielded the highest sales, but it was always non stop. So many gift cards and returns. So, yeah, even crazier then black Friday.

8. Darkfall

Darkfall Savior of Shadows

7am this morning, to 630pm this evening. I never got more than 10 feet from a register at my store. The line was constant. My DM sent me a txt asking how it was going, my reply was "I want to die" So far my first holiday season as a GS manager is going swimmingly.

9. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    man our eb wasen't busy at all and we only had shit deals2 for 1 xbox games select 360/ps3 games reduced and buy anygame and get an edge card

10. panzerjedi

panzerjedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I try not to buy from GameStop/EB. I don't like how their used game business screws customers and the publishers/developers.

Nice sale though, I'd suppose.

11. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

My friend and I went there for the tournament. We both lost in the second round (I got stuck with DK, who I suck as) so we got 3rd/4th spot in the preorder line. The preorder line was about 35-50, the non-preorder line was about 75 and had to loop outside

12. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    lol, When Brawl was released I was the only one in line and got the last un preordered one.

13. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Because 1) I know you and 2) I'm smart.

14. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    My gamestop was real busy too. they had a decent selection left and I picked up heavenly sword and sc iv and ratchet future.... The longest wait I had was at best buy, 2 hours to return dup gifts

15. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Longest lines I've ever seen at EB/Gamestop was for the midnight releases of Halo 2 and Halo 3, which I was in both times.

16. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    i was surprised when GTA4 was released, i got it from the GS here and there were at least 150 people. I was 3 on the pre order list so got mine really fast. But my cousin was in line for a lil over an hour. they were pretty efficient! He wanted the CE version like I had. But they sold out of those.

17. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

The gamestop i went to yesterday was packed as well, to there credit though it went very quickly. Line was back to the store and me and my girlfriend were out in less then 15 minutes with what we wanted.

18. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    yea my Gamestop was like that only worse I was gonna buy GTA4 for my new 360 but I didnt feel like waiting half an hour to get to checkout lol

19. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Fortunately the line at my local store wasn't terrible, it was moving much either.

I bought Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga for the Wii (love the Lightsaber action with the Wii remote) and it said it was new.

They pulled that shitty bait and switch "We'll put this disc in this opened case, there you go." mess. I was so tired (long ass day) that it just never registered with me.

I got to the car, and it dawned on me automatically. I checked the disc (hey, if it saved me another trip to the store, I'd keep it._) Damned thing was scratched from sitting in a paper sleeve, and had one massive finger print on it. This guy must've been able to palm a basketball and then some. This was a ginormous 'print.

I got pissed, went back in, he did the song and dance about how all of their discs come like that, they don't carry sealed ones in stock, etc.

His manager saw how angry I was getting and said "Oh shut the hell up. Just give him a sealed copy of the game. It's not like he's asking for an organ donation."

The kid grumbled, slammed it down on the counter and walked away. I asked the manager "Why do they open the discs here? I've noticed that at all locations" and she said "Twofold reason. For one, it guarantees that if the display case is stolen, that's exactly what the thief takes. Two, it ensures that the game can't be returned for a refund, and we're only allowed to exchange for the same title. If you push hard enough, and folks do, you end up with a store credit. We absolutely refuse to give a refund back unless it's a situation where we're obligated to."

I was so disgusted that all I could do was muster a half hearted thank you and walk right out the door.

So, make sure you get a sealed game from them in case you want a monetary out if you change your mind or whatever.

...that's some crap right there.

20. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    It was a zoo at Target and Wal-Mart yesterday when I was hunting for Transformers. Target wasn't as bad as I thought, but Wal-Mart...oh God...the video game section was just filled to the brim with people. Oddly enough, no people weren't in the toy section.