Weller sentenced to probation, won't go to jail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rodimus Prime, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-ex-weller112006,0,5733460.story?

:banghead: 

2. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

You would have prefered they sent the dying 90 year old to prison?

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

He killed ten people and didn't care. I think most of us would let anyone else rot in prison until they die for that. He'd just have less time to wait.

I guess the lesson here is that you can get away with absolutely anything if you're really old.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wanna be old so I can kill people and get off scot free...

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    He should die in prison. as one person said in the article, they cant see their relatives anymore, so why should he?

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    They should stop changing his diaper as part of the sentence.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Yes I would advocate sending the frail, old man to prison. After all if he's got no remorse and don't want to see the relatives of the people he killed why should the justice system give him any leniency? And the laws should change for drivers past age 75 so that it'd be much harder to renew license for people who can barely see or move, let alone drive. There was a guy in my college who had his arm and leg ambutated because an old lady driving at night failed to see him riding a bike and rammed into him then drove off, later when the cops caught her she claimed she don't remember hitting anyone. I mean it's about as bad as having drunk drivers out there.

8. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Call me crazy, I just believe in personal responsibility, no matter how old you are. As others pointed out, he doesn't really care what he did. Screw his age.

9. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

It says in the article that he has expressed remorse on several occasions. Hell, the police investigating the crime stated that it was accidental, he's ill and bedridden. He's been charged and will have to pay damages. really don;t see the point in sending this man to prison to die.

10. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Yes I would. He did the crime so he should do the time.

11. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'm wondering less about his sentence, and more about why he was still driving at the time this happened.

12. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

The least he could do is do a video recording of his apology and played it at the courthouse to the relatives, or do a written apology and have his family read it to them. I think his lack of action is what disturbs me.

13. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I'd wager that half the people here would be saying "What? Spend taxpayers money on a guy who's going to die in two months? WTF!" if he had been sent to prison.

14. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Ahhh... so that's the incident that South Park made fun of a few years back.

Really though... it sounds like he had remorse at one point and due to his failing health and memory loss, probably doesn't even recall the incident.

It truly sounds like he's not long for the world either, so in that regard, he's already in a type of figurative prison.

Christ... what do you do with people like that? It's a pretty tough call.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

With people like that? Get them all off of the road. Elderly drivers are a dangerous problem that we're so far doing absolutely nothing about. We need laws to require periodic tests for geriatric drivers. Him specifically? Like I said before, he should serve the normal sentence for ten counts of manslaughter, old and sick or not. If he's truly incompetent, then there should be consequences for anyone responsible for letting him drive.
    Well he wouldn't be spending taxpayers' money for long, so I don't see much room to complain there.

16. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

In the state of California, it'd be anywhere from $26.03 to $142.52 per day that the guy lives.

17. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Hell..from the thread title, I thought this was about the guy who played Robocop.

But no, I don't see any point in sending this guy to prison. Unless it's a glorified retirement home with security to make sure the old codgers don't go on another senile killing spree. Sounds like we're going to be reading the guy's obituary before next Christmas anyway.

18. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I am decidedly not in that half.

If he's as frail and decrepit as we are lead to believe, he probably won't even know he's in jail. Maybe he'll think, I don't know, he's in the Bahamas or something.

I hate old people, I really do. They are mean, nasty, and always play the "don't blame me, I'm old and confused" card to, pardon the expression, get away with murder. Okay, I'll admit that's a broad, sweeping generalization, but still.

There was an incident here a few months back where an elderly woman, hit, in broad daylight, a child on a bicycle, snagged him underneath the car, and dragged him several hundred yards to her driveway, where she parked on top of him, and went into her house like nothing had happened at all. Luckily the boy survived, albeit with quite a few broken bones and a case of road rash, and when the police went to question the woman, she knew she had hit something, but she thought it was a dog or a trash can, and really wasn't that concerned. When they told her it was a child, she pulled the whole "oooh who am I, what's going on, I'm so old and confused" shtick and the police never charged her because she was old and confused and didn't know any better.

I believe that people over the age of 65 should be given a road test every two years if they want to keep their license, and then every year after the age of 80.

19. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    If we're lucky he'll write a book, "If I did it on purpose, How I Mowed 'em Down" and get a FOX special.

20. butz

butz slippery when wet

The "If" in the title being in white, and hard to read at a glance, whereas the rest will be red and bold.