Well this officially sucks.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eric, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    You'd figure that since the economy's gone down the shitter, some people would be lucky enough to still cling to their jobs. Unfortunately, my father, who had his job for 20 years, just got fired today, because the company he worked for had to let go a lot of managers. They filed for bankruptcy, and while the store he worked at wouldn't be one of the many stores to get closed, for unknown reasons, they fired him anyway.

I've been through a lot of shit these past few years, and I can't even begin to tell you how sad this makes me. First my grandmother dies back in 2009, then a good friend of my dad's passes away last year, and now he's lost his job that he's been working his ass off for two fucking decades to keep this house and this family from falling apart. My dad says that everything will be okay, and how we're still insured and he says he'll find a new job soon enough. He works for a company and has done so much for so long, and now they give him the finger and tell him to fuck off because they need to save money.

I'm really sorry, I just needed to vent.

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I´m sorry for you. It has to be really hard on your dad.

3. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That does suck dude.......for that reason alone, I hate corporate America. Sure, they provide jobs, but I'd better stop before I go on a long tirade about corruption and greed (most of which I've personally witnessed).

I sincerely hope everything gets better for you and your family OP......and soon.

4. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    wow that dies suck hope something good happens.

5. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

Buddy, I can't even BEGIN to tell you how much I can empathize with you.

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Coperate America is what killed Democracy and has put the US where it is at today.

To the OP. SOrry about your dad. Unfortunately he was not fired to save money he was fired to save profits. He will be replaced by some young dude who will do twice as much for half as much. Nature of the beast, it happens in a good economy as well.

I pray for the best for you and your family. Chin up and stay strong. You will be amazed at how stong a united family can be. You don't need much when you got eachother.

7. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey man, sorry to hear about that.
    I just got back to work after a 6 month lay-off. Lucky for me I never burned any bridges and went back to a company I worked for years ago. (Major Pay cut) but had to do it before I got to rusty.

Its hard but you have to keep your head up, and help when you can.

8. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Gets me so angry to hear that. I'm sorry bout dad losing his job.

9. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Believe me...I feel your pain.

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that. It really blows. But things will get better. They always do. Sometimes it takes longer then others.

If the company fired a lot of peeps your dads age, he could sue for age discrimination. My uncle in law won a huge case against the publishing industry for age discrimination. Living comfortably now.

If it makes you feel better, my dad built a company for a scumbag. The company was global. They took all the NY profit and spread it world wide, cutting on the office's bonus and salaries. The bitch as mofo sells the company for 42 million. He gives my dad $20,000. Then a year later, asks for it back.

Teaches you about the American dream. I learned one thing that day. Fuck them before they fuck you. My dad had an opportunity to steal the company with the 2 top sales people. But he stayed loyal, and got it in the ass.

Yes, the new American dream. I will bust my ass to make you profits while I get it up the ass. Love it. I sat in my first managers meeting ever this year cause of my new title. I wanted to vomit in my mouth about what they were talking about.

The sad thing is, there was only 1 fucking person in that room that I even remotely respect and think they know what they are talking about. The other 6, complete idiots almost taking the company down the toilet. Fortunately the one I do respect is the one making the calls. Plus he is British and the Brits tell it how it is. My favorite part was when he asked someone if they knew how stupid they sounded. LOL. Love the Brits.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sorry about your dad's job Eric.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    So what are you planning on doing to help out your family during this situation?

13. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am sorry for your lose.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, I was unemployed for the better part of a year, from Oct. '09 to June '10 then again from Sept. '10 until January of last year. I've been working again for a year now, and while I'm at a lower wage than I was at before, it gets the bills paid.

My mom's been unemployed for two years now, after working for a company for nearly two decades. She does okay though. My parents have always had a side business, and she does her own enterprising stuff. Then of course there's Unemployment.

It's not the end of the world, just the end of careless spending. I'm sure your dad will do fine.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

LOL Nobody died. His dad just lost his job.

16. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Buy Transformers

But seriously, sorry to hear about that OP

17. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can remember back during the recession in the 80s my dad was really stressed out about possibly losing his job. Thankfully he didn't, and he retired from that same company just several years ago.

As for me, I wasn't so lucky. My company got bought out by another company who bought us for the sole purpose of shutting us down. (Eliminating the competition.) Most of the people I worked for were good people, and the few that weren't, well, I did get the pleasure of knowing they were thrown out on the street too. And after three years, I still haven't been able to get back into my chosen field.

If I've learned anything from the past few years, it's that true happiness can only be found in self-employment. As a kid, I never thought I'd dream of owning my own business. I guess my economics teacher was right after all.

18. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    :lol  He's not dead, he just lost his job. Believe me, the old man's still stubborn and tough.

I plan on calling a few places to see if they're hiring, hopefully something similar to his previous job. Other than that, the family and I will support dad when he needs it. Thanks for the kind words guys. This means a lot to me.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Admirable actions. Good luck with that and to your father as well.

Are you looking for employment for yourself as well (likely part time)? Is there anything you can do to modify your spending during this period?

20. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loosing your lively hood is similar to death.