Well, there goes Sony's competitive advantage in the next generation

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mister D, May 10, 2006.

1. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I would say HALO is MS's killer app. It wasn't quite GTA level, but it was far more a "must have" than any Nintendo title I can think of.

For the record, the title of the thread was obviously somewhat tongue in cheek. The loss of GTA doesn't doom the PS3 anymore than a half assed copy of the Wiimote hurts Nintendo.

An important consideration: Last generation, Resident Evil and GT were killers app for PS1, Mario, Mario Kart and Zelda for the N64, but I don't believe any of them really generated tremendous excitement in this generation. Not that they were poor games, just that they didn't seem to be the titles selling consoles.

Conversely, GTA was nothing for the PSX, and the most dominant game for this generation.

I think the odds are good GTA, and most of the dominant games of the last generation, won't have the same sort of draw this time out. It will once again be the games that offer something new that will be the break out hits that move hardware. Obviously Nintendo hopes its novel controller will bring out just that sort of game, but at the moment it's all still a crap shoot.

2. Mister D

Sorry, that's $500-600. And coming out at Christmas, there's a good chance the stores will only offer packages as they did with the 360, which will raise the cost $100 or more.

3. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, I prefer my RPGs less like that as I HATED those games.

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Word.

I’m seeing a lot to like with the Wii but nothing to make me regret the 360 set up right next to me here.

5. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

"Ubisoft Montreal's creative director has spoken of his disappointment with Sony's next-gen offering, claiming the Japanese giant is adopting a "me too" approach by duplicating ideas from other consoles." Refering to their aping of both the Wii controller and of Xbox Live.

Ouch.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=16847

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

"Aping" is a good choice of words too, as the controller at least completely fails to live up to what it's imitating.

7. Superman_Alpha

-- Reuters

LOL

8. j3

j3 Hampton Yount is my Crow T. Robot TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, the Microsoft vice president wouldn't happen to be biased in any way now would he? But I'll answer him anyway: People will buy a PS3 for the games that are only on the PS3, and for a much cheaper Blu-Ray player than the near future's consumer models. Just like people would buy the 360 for the games that are only on it, and same as Wii. $600 is bit expensive, but it's still going to sell.

I hate all the inter-company arrogance, "if ain't us, it's CRAP!"... it's like fanboys, only they actually get paid for the tripe.

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    Best quote of E3 so far, from the 1up podcast: "Sitting at the Microsoft press conference, I felt like I was watching the Death Star being built, and it's AWESOME. I want a seat on the bridge."

Microsoft is REALLY impressing me this E3. They're really firing on all cylinders, which I suppose may be a byproduct of their head start. But regardless, Xbox 360 is looking very good.

Nintendo is intriguing. I'll probably always be in a position of planning to buy the Wii but remaining skeptical until I get a chance to try the controls myself. Nintendo would do well to get demo units out to stores before launch to let people try it out.

Sony, in spite of my earlier concerns about trying to steal Nintendo's thunder, appears to be floundering. It's way too early to call of course, but they've built themselves a gigantic mountain of negative public image to climb over.

10. Superman_Alpha

The VP of another company is pushing his system AND the Wii, and he's still accused of being a fanboy. MS really can't f'in win with some people can they?

11. Mister D

Some problems with this logic.

First the Blu-Ray. When PS2 came out, DVD had been around for a few years and was just starting to catch fire with the larger market. For those looking for a DVD player, the PS2 and XBox hit at just the right time.

With Blu-Ray, many people are holding off because of the "format war." There is a lot of uncertainty for a new technology that many people can't make good use of, and would require them replacing the DVD's that they just bought. So while it may be an enticement, I don't think its enough for people to drop six bills on.

The second problem here is that most of Sony's "A" titles are not Sony's. They are developed by third parties, and can jump ship at any time (as we just saw with GTA). That has to be Sony's greatest fear for the PS3.

Thirdly, most people are capable of making their choices based on many factors. I think it fair to say that, with the exception of those who are absolute die-hards, gamers have an itch to play the exclusives on most of the consoles, but few can buy them all. Unless someone is a Final Fantasy freak, right now I'm thinking a 360 -and- a Wii sounds like a much better deal.

12. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    In the upcoming console battle, realistically I have two choices.

Xbox 360 and PS3. So far the games on the 360 don't really grab my potatoes and I can't stnad the control pad at all.

The PS3 has more games I'm after, I have a back log of older games I can play on it and the multi region thing has my potatoes hostage.

The Wii has too many gimmicks, I live in too small a room to swing around in and in Australia it just doesn't get supported if its Nintendo.

Tough choice.

13. Streck

Streck QED Veteran

Let's refrain from calling each other fanboys, shall we?

I'm not worried, and neither is Microsoft. People that care enough about this stuff to post in online forums about it are very much a minority, and out of them, the ones that dislike Microsoft are just a subset. Compared to the total buying population, they're insignificant.

14. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

Unless I'm mistaken, Blu-Ray players will still play standard DVDs, so replacing already bought movies isn't as much of an issue as it was with the VHS/DVD switch.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Superman_Alpha, could you please link to where you found that Peter Moore quote? I like that.

16. Streck

Streck QED Veteran

17. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A guy I work with that swore up and down Playstation was the only system for him went to Wal*Mart after work yesterday after I told him what the PS3 was going to cost and put a 360 on lay away.

18. j3

j3 Hampton Yount is my Crow T. Robot TFW2005 Supporter

I wasn't being anti-Microsoft, and I will end up buying a 360 myself when there's games on it I want, right now everything of interest to me is multi-platform or PS3 though (the 360 Gundam game looks nice but a console for a Gundam game? nooooo). But admittedly the Wii isn't in direct competition with the 360 or the PS3, not as much as they are of themselves. Nintendo is sort of doing its own thing this generation, and that's why just about everyone says they'll get it AND one of the other. What Moore said is still just as anti-Sony as I was showing my disgust at. You know people can disagree or show contempt at PR shills without being a Sony fanboy (if anything, I'm a Kojima fanboy :p )

19. Superman_Alpha

I wasn't. I was refering to his remarks about fanboys as a 'fanboy rant'.

20. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    "Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" Peter Moore, a Microsoft vice president, said in an interview. "People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

Truer words have never been spoken. I never cared for X-Box, ever. After this E3 though? Man-o-man. Resident Evil 5 and GTA 4 on my soon to be 360 and everything else on my Wii.