Well, there goes Nintendo's competitive advantage in the next generation

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by KidDynamite, May 8, 2006.

1. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a game system $500-$600 is a lot, as a Blu Ray player it’s not to shabby. But I’m not in the market for a Blue Ray until the dust settles between it and HDDVD. I don’t want to be that guy with the worthless Beta Max.

So like some others I’ll wait and see.

2. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hope this doesn't turn into a total failure for them. I've been pretty adamant about my support for Playstation. I'd hate for all this to end up with them being totally screwed for good. I don't really care if they supposedly rip off Nintendo or whatever. I guess I'm just comfortable with the brand name or something, I don't know.

3. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    I can't see how the PS3 will be a failure at all.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    rediculous pricing, and the cheap version of the system is missing key features that unlike the 360, cannot just be added on later. the 500 dollar system is essentially a broken PS3.

oh, and despite backward compatibility, there's no memory card slots. so you'd have to start all over on PS1 and 2 games (same problem exists with 360).

I dont think it'll be a failure, but sony can kiss their dominant position goodbye if they dont start doing SOMETHING right.

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I doubt it'll fail horribly, but it's quite obvious they're pissing lots of people off with the news here, which is too bad. Like I said, I have some strange desire for them to be beloved for whatever reason.

6. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Sony wont let it fail.
    They can't afford to.

That said, the price of even the cheaper version will loose them a lot of the more casual gamers.

If Nintendo are smart, they'll find a way to capitalize on it

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the cheaper version is missing a lot of features that are integral to the system (removable storage, for one), which can't be added later on. So in order to eventually have the full PS3 experience, you'd have to buy a whole new system later on. plus, if your system ever dies, your game saves go with it on the 500 dollar model.

the mere existence of this neutered system is going to cost sony big time.

8. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This news will take some wind out of Nintendo's sails. Despite it being a cheap imitation, kids and casual gamers will see it as "Oh, it's just like Nintendo's!"

Seems pretty shiesty, but it was to be expected. I don't think it is going to play as well as the wii controller.

Maybe Nintendo should issue a FPS game challenge against Sony and MS. Pit their controller against the others and see which one performs the best?

9. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

at least nintendo is letting people use their old gamecube memory cards and controllers with the wii. that should have been a given for all 3 systems.

10. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

at the same time, it could work in nintendo's advantage if people say "oh the controller does the same thing but it costs less than half the price"

11. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Watch it end up being XBOX360, with it's extraordinarily traditional design. ;) 

12. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

I don't think the motion thing is that big a deal.

Ultimately Nintendo's aim with the Wii has always been to grow into a different market by creating new types of gaming experiences. The PS3's motion sensors won't be able to do those - and ultimately that audience Nintendo is aiming for aren't keeping up with these reports. They aren't going to check the box, they're just going to want the system with the game that they played at the drunken party where you waved the stick to play drums or something.

One would note that that's exactly the sort of audience Buzz, Singstar and Eyetoy have all been chasing on the PS2 - and doing pretty frigging well out of it. There's an audience for casual, party games that don’t look like they use a Dual Shock there. Nintendo are still all over that.

Honestly, I don't forsee doom for anyone. Just a bit of an equalisation of the playing field - Sony will lose most if not all of their lead, but they won't disappear from trace. The Xbox will achieve the growth it's looking for, but not dominate, and Nintendo will almost elimate that gap in units shipping and make money from a slightly different audience.

Personally, I'm gonna pick up an Xbox 360 after the first price fall. The media extender function will be really *really* handy for me, I've enjoyed some of the games I've played and rising costs of next gen content means it looks like platform exclusivity will be limited, and I know Xbox Live is cool. The PS3 is just too expensive for my blood, and I don't want a Blu-Ray player (I'm not likely to buy an HDTV for the better part of a decade, so I'm not actually that bothered about a new DVD format period, never mind one that has more "copy protection" on it that doesn't prevent piracy but frustraits my abilities to make fair use of the work). I'll buy my girlfriend a Wii (a mixture of retro games and really innovative stuff - it's JUST like the DS, and she loves that to bits), and steal it lots.

Phazer

13. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I think most people will wait to see how good the games Ninento will bring out to maximize the potential of their wii-mote because that's what's going to come down to for their next console to have a chance in the market. PS3 will succeed just because most PS players will pick it up due to their loyalty of the brand (I know I'll be one of them). I doubt the inferiority of their controller compare to Wii's will deter consumers deciding on which system to buy. Ultimately it's gonna come down to games, 3rd party support, and marketing. PS3 is still expected to take large chuck of market share based on PSOne and PS2's success but I wouldn't count the chicken before they are hatched. If Nintendo comes out with great games that utilizes the full capability of their controller then I may buy Wii as well, but PS3 is on my must buy list for next year for sure.

14. Akumaxv

Akumaxv Well-Known Member

Wah wah wah, Sony steals this, Sony steals that...

Listen, every company at one point or another has "stolen" ideas from another. Whether it's video games, movies, cars, etc.

People who go on these "Sony stole ideas/developers/games" rants are just pissed off that Nintendo has made some absolutely idiotic mistakes these last 2 generations. From their stringent 3rd party rules, to sticking with the expensive cartridge format, to the mind numbingly stupid notion that gamers do not want online capability, Nintendo put themselves in the position they're in, not anyone else. Only delusional Nintendo fanboys can't see this.

Developers dropped Nintendo because they weren't going to make money making games on their systems. GASP!! Heaven forbid you should want to make money in the Video Game BUSNINESS. That's right, you go into busniness to make money.

I've purchased every Nintendo system at launch, so I'm no anti-Nintendo/Sony/MS fanboy. I own all the systems and I'm a fanboy of video games.

Bottom line is, I don't think Nintendo gives a flying fudge about any other market other than Japan. From the name of the Wii, to the gimmicky quirkiness of the controller, this machine SCREAMS Japanese market targeting. They must have known that the name would be ridiculed outside of Japan, especially in the States. The Japanese love quirky and distinct games, that for better or worse, the Americans don't care for. Since the Japanese buy anything Nintendo, and shun anything MS, I sincerely belive they are targeting their homeland and could give a crap about anyone other territory. At least in Japan, they have a strong chance of being second, next to Sony.

Oh, and on this "we're not competing with Sony/MS..." BS rhetoric. Sorry, but when you're in the video game businness, and you're making a machine that plays video games, then you are in competition with the OTHER vdeo game machine makers. No matter what delusional potion you take in the morning, that's who your competing against.

If you don't want to compete against them, then go out and make toasters and call it a day.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Nintendo's "Classic Controller".

16. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

awesome. very snes-ish

17. Streck

Streck QED Veteran

Okay, let's take the Wii discussion over to Twin Twist's thread.

18. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Heh, knew the PS3 wasn't gonna have the batarang controller. Whew! And the prices, not bad.

[Soundwave Voice]Sony's PS3 superior, Nintendo's Wii...INFERIOR.[/Soundwave Voice]

Sony all the way. :) 

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Does Sony pay you to say crap like this in every Nintendo thread? Have fun shelling out $600. Such a reasonable price! NOT.

[My Voice]PS3 SUCKS HARD AND IS TOO EXPENSIVE.[/My Voice]

20. Streck

Streck QED Veteran

Knock that shit off.

And everyone else, let's discuss the systems, not bash them. Thank you.