2D Artwork: Well That's Just Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Jetstreamx, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Jetstreamx

Jetstreamx Lord Jettington

Okay, so, I'll post the link to the original and explain.
    Well That's Just Prime by *Jetstreamx on deviantART

Alright, so, I got this signed by Gary Chalk at TFcon, and I got it critiqued by Alex Milne and Dan Khanna. Both had a lot to say, Alex significantly more. He gave me some pointers and stuff and it was all very helpful. I applied it and this was the result. That's the quick of it. If you want the long version, follow the DA link after the image post. :) 

[​IMG]
    Well That's Just Prime Remake by *Jetstreamx on deviantART

Attached Files:

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    What pointers did they give you on your previous work?

3. Jetstreamx

@Superquad

Alright, now that I'm awake and refreshed, I guess I can go over this in detail.

In order, I believe Alex's first comment was that Primal needed a shadow on the ground as a means to help indicate that he's grounded. This would also help make it a bit more dynamic. If you notice, on the ground in my original picture, there wasn't a lot of detail. There was a crack, some rocks, but not a lot. It was enough to give the idea, however, it wasn't enough to look very good. He commented that I needed to put more in more detail. Basically push it further

Next he commented on my cliffface/canyon/ravine/whatever you wanna call it. The first thing he said was that it looked more like fabric than a cliff. Basically I needed to make that rockier and throw in some more detail. (I'm sure you're seeing a trend with that detail thing.) He also didn't think the tree's looked like trees, and that I needed to work on my clouds.

Another big thing was that I needed to try using a perspective grid, and I needed to push my foreshortening more to give a better sense of space. Not to mention some other choices I made while drawing that could have been done better. One example was Primal's head. His antenna were too long and his head was too squashed. That was basically the jist of it. He suggested a different pose, which I ultimately ran with.
    The whole time he critiqued he was always sketching examples.

After that I wanted to ask Dan what he thought. He saw the stuff that Alex had sketched, so he didn't say nearly as much and focused on the pose. He said what I already had was pretty solid. Where Alex suggested a pose that was similar, yet really different, Dan suggested ways to make the pose I already had work better.

4. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

Very well done and pulling off a wonderful comic feel! Are you trying to do this professionally or just for fun?

5. Jetstreamx

Why can I not do both? Lol. Right now it is just for fun, but I DO want to do Transformers professionally. I'm actually going to start working on a portfolio soon, hopefully.

6. Noise Maker

Noise Maker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're both good, but the second one is 100X better.

Looks like you were really able to make use of their advice.

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    a definite improvement!!

well done! :D 

8. Jetstreamx

Thanks guys :) 

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You got some REALLY valuable help. Both of those guys were really awesome to help you out that much . . . and it shows!

10. CypherCrowley

CypherCrowley Well-Known Member

The updates you made improve this illustration greatly. They really give it more depth and make the fur 'pop' more. If the mountain walls were liltet a little more to the left I'd say it would be easily on par with Alex' piece. Had to add you to my watch+ list. :) 

11. Jetstreamx

Thank you, and yes I did. It's not often I get such a brutal critique. That's about the only thing I miss about art school, and one of the most useful things an artist can have.

I like the mountains right where they're at. I think showing them in the middle of his legs might have been a little bit much. Not that it would really be bad at all. It's just preference. I think I could have made it better if I would have had the clouds flow with the loose perspective of the rest of the page (Something Alex pointed out on this version, haha.)

Still, I do think Alex's piece is much better. Your compliment of "Would easily be on par with Alex's piece" is a rather nice thing to read after having just woken up, even if it's not "Oh man, you destroyed him" (j/k)

12. starshooter8

starshooter8 AutoCon

:drool:  thats awesome. are you going to do a dinobot and rattrap or a rampage?

13. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits: