Well let's have a good ol' fashioned conversation about Marvel's movie future...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Enigma2K2, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Here's a link to an article from Marvelous News...

Future plans for Marvel movies...

Now, Watchmen showed me that they can be done and done well. But it's sad that characters like Wolverine will never truly be unleashed in movie form.

The Punisher's problem, however, isn't the rating... it's just a bad movie.

Comments? Opinions? Anyone got $5 to spot me until payday?

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Well I guess any mmp attempt at Ultimates 1 and 2 will be a pale imitation of Millar's storylines, or just plain undoable too bad

3. Enigma2K2

Ebay:
    Fine, fine... now about that $5..

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Marvel has a "plan" for their best comic properties. DC doesn't and doesn't attempt to provide one.

I love DC because they make movies out of their Vertigo titles, which are awesome. Though I'd love more movies based on their "true" comic heroes.

But I have to give props to Marvel for making an movie universe with their Avengers titles.

I can certainly understand Marvel not seeking to make anymore R rated movies/mature books. It's not their forte' nor has it ever been.

And I'll gladly give you 5 bucks, if you your willingly to take foot stamps that is.

5. Enigma2K2

Ebay:
    Well I understand that not all properties under Marvel's flag are apropriate for the R treatment, but I always figured that Wolverine was.

6. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Wolverine is Marvel's cash cow. That's why all the previous X-Men movies were less about the X-Men and more about Wolverine. You can't have an R-rated cash cow, especially one that appeals to kids. So you take the 5'3" hairy, cold-blooded killer, with a rather ridiculous haircut and a samurai code of honor in the comics and cast a 6', handsome, unhairy actor (with an Elvis pompadour) to play him. You never see him kill anybody, his claws never draw blood and then you make a bunch of toys that all the kids will buy. In the new Wolverine cartoon, the most he does with his claws is scoop up a snowball to throw at the Hulk. That's how kiddie-fied Wolverine has become and that's about as violent as I expect X-Men Origins: Wolverine to be.

As for the rest of Marvel's movie properties, I think what they're attempting to do is pretty cool, but I'll be surprised if they pull it off. They got lucky with Iron Man and I would be surprised if they're able to catch lightning in a bottle again with any of the other films. Except Spider-Man 4 (and 5? Are they still doing them back to back?) but only because I hope they learned their lesson with SM 3 and will leave Sam Raimi alone to do the movie(s) his way.

7. gil

gil Godmaster

A new Hulk Movie in 3-D would be awesome (3-D and IMAX). But like the article said, the added cost of 3-D would suck. Add that to the last Hulk movie costing $150Mil.

Spider Man 4 should be in 3-D.

8. Enigma2K2

Ebay:
    The truth hurts... and this quote has me writhing in agony...

9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Keep in mind that Marvel doesn't fuck up their own properties - the blasphemy that is X-Men and Wolverine is all due to Fox getting their stupid hands on it and having the cash power to be like "Hey, we either do this our way or we don't do it" against Marvel. Look at the Hulk "redo" movie versus the original, and even Iron Man.

When Marvel has full control of their property, they usually hit a home run.

10. smkspy

I think Marvel did quite a good job of fucking up Hulk. Even in their own studio, they don't understand the character. THe new Hulk was an improvement over the original, but not by much.

11. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

i hope that the movies get to the point where they can start doing some of the more recent stuff, like planet hulk or civil war, maybe even marvel zombies. as for now, they would be a hard sell to average moviegoer. i think bendis had a great run on daredevil, that could make for a cool movie.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    They should make a film based on Punisher: MAX, with Garth Ennis writing the script. My vote goes to 'The Slavers' as basis.

13. geerave

hell yes!!! greatest. punisher. story. ever.

14. smkspy

All those would be a hard sell period. Planet Hulk, you'd have to get Marvel to recognize that the Hulk is actually an independent and thinking character of his own in the movieverse. They can't progress pass two sentences, much less an entire movie based around him. Civil War, just too big and too impractical to made. Far too many random characters for an audience to know what would be going on. It'd have a Watchmen feel to it. Marvel Zombies, probably the same and I don't think Marvel would ever want to represent they're top tier characters in this fashion to a general movie audience.

I could see a Bendis-based Daredevil working, but I'd rather see Born Again made first, which would work as a direct sequel.

15. geerave

ill bet the 5th hulk movie will be planet hulk. just wait!

16. Enigma2K2

Ebay:
    Like hell it was. you're just mad because he didn't do much smashing in the first one.

17. smkspy

No, I'm mad that Marvel treated the Hulk like a mindless puppy dog running purely on instinct and love for Betty. The Hulk is a seperate indentity from banner with his own thoughts, emotions, and justifications for his actions. The fact that Marvel doesn't get this really amazes me, and I think that is what caused the Hulk to fail as movie. Really, It was just an amped up version of the first movie without all the scenic scenes. A Hulk that gets three lines throughout the entire film is the not the people having been reading about for 40 years.

18. Enigma2K2

Ebay:
    So you're not complaining that it was bad... you're complaining that it was inacurate to the comics... okay.

Me, I liked it... except for the dogs....

19. smkspy

The stories were fine in both movies, but the continued depiction of the Hulk as something he is rarely ever (mindless) ruins the movies for me. It's like watching a Transformers movie and the bots never say anything.

20. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

Actually, there is a Planet Hulk movie in the works. I couldn't be more pleased actually, since it's being released by Lionsgate as an animated dvd (like Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Avengers, Hulk vs.). This is a very old link that contains the news Hulk Trailer Out Next Month, and...PLANET HULK MOVIE?! W000T! - The Spill.com Movie Community

I can't wait to see Green Scar vs. Silver Savage in glorious motion!