"We'll let you know within the next few days..."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NGW, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Some employers just get cold feet. They'll make it seem like they're actually really interested and willing to give you that second interview and then they flake out (probably when they find someone better).

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see why though. Like, there's only so much you can gather from an interview (even if you're good at making reads), especially when being yourself (especially on the applicant's side of things) is often hard for a lot of people. Plus, when you're essentially in what's an employers market, your choices are often so abundant that you're not only hoping for someone better like you say, but also questioning whether you've left out someone from your shortlist to begin with.

Like... it's just a shitty road to be on any side on if you ask me.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I've never been interviewed by hot women, though. Never. It's either been mustachioed women or old dudes with pot bellies and hair growing out of their ears.

4. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    I've been interviewed by a couple, and one time it was very uncomfortable because the other guy interviewing me would like, never let her say anything & literally cut her off mid sentence almost every time she asked a question. He did it to me sometimes after like my 5th word answering, but with her, this douche wouldn't even allow that haah. You could tell she was pissed too, and it made for one of the most awkward interviews I've had. Definitely not the worst, but still memorable.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I applied for a job recently and decided to make a follow-up call when I heard nothing back. The nice woman I spoke to said over five hundred people had applied and it was just too much time to let everyone know they'd been unsuccessful. I suppose when it comes to those kind of numbers it's understandable. At least emails are free, imagine the cost of sending a rejection letter or making a phonecall to all those unsuccessful applicants.

Lots of places tell me they'll keep my CV and details on file for if something else comes up, but a few places that have told me that I've seen later advertise a job and never get in contact with me. So I have to apply again just in case. That annoys me as much as anything because I don't know if I've already been rejected.
    I don't think I've ever been later contacted by a company that said they'd keep me on file if anything else ever came up.

Maybe it's just me. :( 

6. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it might be a legal thing. We're required to keep applications on file for a year where I work.

And i never said I didn't have the time to call rejected applicants , just that I don't want to take the time. Then you end up dealing with the 'why' question, which is a whole other ball of wax.

7. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Are you interviewing for waitstaff or management? I worked in a restaurant for 5 years when I was younger, and from my experience, at least as far as waitstaff goes, if they're going to hire you they will do so right then. Telling an interviewee that they'll "let you know" is pretty much a polite way of saying you didn't get the job.

8. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    That's possible, but I've actually only been hired on the spot once, and that was a unique situation because. The jobs I've done/been hired for after that for Canadian Tire & the University here were all a case of getting phoned afterwards, so I wouldn't automatically assume that you're getting the shaft if you aren't hired directly after the interview.

If anything, there's usually a deliberation committee & reference calls, and certain policies might even prohibit anyone from telling you that you're their top pick until once the process has been gone through. Private companies are often a lot more efficient, but assumptions rarely get us anywhere.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Got to let them know you're the guy they need. Be persistent & polite.
    Keep calling them until they say ok, or sorry the position's been filled.