"We'll let you know within the next few days..."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NGW, Apr 11, 2012.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    *never receives a call or email back*

Seriously, what is up with that crap? I've been trying to find a job a bit closer to home, because as it stands I cannot continue doing a 34+ mile round trip for minimum wage, 4 hour shifts. But it just pisses me off to no end to have what seems like a pretty decent interview, have them tell me they will let me know within a day or two if I got the job..and then just never hear a word back from them. It's like, I don't really care that I didn't get the job, whatever, but at least have the decency to call and tell me like you said you would.

2. DavidLoPan

DavidLoPan Well-Known Member

Send a polite email to them. doesn't hurt to ask about it.

3. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    You're supposed to send them a letter thanking them for their time. If anyone did that over you, you probably didn't get the job. You could also call asking what the end date of the hiring cycle/window is and if they've settled on anyone. This keeps your name fresh in their minds.

4. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    It's pretty unprofessional from them, and should probably be a warning sign for you about the company. Call them or e-mail them politely. If they're still unresponsive and unhelpful, I'd stay away unless you're desperate.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    That's the thing though, it's been pretty much every place I've interviewed with, and this is over the course of several months (probably closer to half a year or so now).

Places like Denny's (and this was for a new location that was hiring a LOT of people), Knott's Berry Farm, Chipotle, all big name companies.

6. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As an interviewer, if I'm unsure of a candidate or it's a straight know, I'll say something along the lines of, "We still have some other applicants to talk to, but if we're going to hire you, we'll give you a call in the next two days." This gives me time to rethink an interview, but avoids wasting time calling every jeans and t-shirt slacker who thinks they should get a job just for showing up.

7. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my wife got her last job because after the interview she sent the interviewer and email and said "thank you for the opportunity..."

they said when they hired her that it was very professional of her to do so and they were impressed by it. so yeah, that couldn't hurt. however, if you call and say something along the lines of "did you guys hire someone yet" I'm thinking you drop down the list a bit.

8. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, or send them a thank you letter.

9. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Personally, after every hiring session I've had to for my business, I've always made sure to call back and let people know whether they got the position or not. It's just professional courtesy on my part. I always hated going for a job interview and getting the standard "We'll let you know" only to never hear a word.

Though the worst was when I had an interview, they told me they'd call by Monday and didn't...only to call me three months down the road and tell me that my first day was the very next day.

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I do this as well. It's honestly a lot of work to call everyone who didn't get the job. Also, I keep applicants on file for future use or other stores if need be.

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Not really. That's just how the interview and hiring process goes with a lot of companies. Think about it: if there's a highly sought after position, there will be a ton of applicants flowing in, so there's going to be a lot of filtering out of the people they find under-qualified. They may not have time to call/email everyone back, nor do they want to. Also, this tends to force the applicant's hand in most situations as they'll almost be expected to make the follow-up call/email. You want them to know that you're serious and enthusiastic about the job.

12. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, I really don't buy these "no time" arguments, at least not now days where it takes 10 minutes to type up an e-mail (or better yet, have a generic one on file that you pretty much just replace the position title with) on file to send to those who were interviewed but not hired. It doesn't need to be personal because that's not expected. It's just a courtesy of letting people know to stop waiting.

Like, I can understand not wanting to make a bunch of phone calls because that form of communication is not only inefficient for this type of thing to begin with (but also shitty to get on the phone with people & give em the shaft when they're expecting/hoping for good news), but a generic e-mail really isn't much trouble & often sends the intended/expected message even before its opened. Plus, it goes a LONG way in terms of positive word of mouth adverting for the business, and the time taken for this isn't much longer to send one e-mail or 10, even if you don't do bulk messages.

13. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

You probably didn't get the job. I'm not surprised if they don't call to let you know. Just keep looking and keep your hopes up. The last time I did interview, I just kept on going for interviews non-stop until someone calls me with good news. Sometimes multiple offers land on the table, I call them to let them know I found a better offer.

14. Satomiblood

There's just no time for that sort of thing.

15. seali_me

The wife, who's the head teacher at her school, sent rejection letters. All one has to do is change the name for every generic letter. She has it saved on her computer. You write it up once and you're set. I just asked her as well, normally she'd give them a hint like the ones previously stated.

OP don't get frustrated keep at it.

16. Satomiblood

I was just trying having a little fun with TrueNomadSkies. Of course there is (to an extent), but I'm sure there's a lack of desire there as well to contact every single applicant.

You know how they're always posting job interview etiquette and resume tips on the internet? I've kind of thought that businesses need to go through the equivalent of that. There are a lot of companies out there that just don't know how to go about this process themselves.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  17. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hah, it's good.

Also to Seali's point, it's nothing to get worked up over. Save that frustration for not getting the job, not the fact that you didn't get an e-mail about it :) 

18. Satomiblood

I was applying for a full-time job at my local paper a few years ago. I sent my resume out to the different editors and included some writing samples. One editor in particular was apparently very impressed with my writing and wanted to hire me on for a position (I had worked as a freelancer for a while for that very same newspaper so I kind of had an "in"). Anyway, I never heard back from him...even after I tried doing a follow-up call/email.

19. seali_me

I consider interviews like dates. I hate doing both of them and wish I got my money back for every rejection. Bus/subway fees, gas, eating out etc. Needless to say, I kept at it.

20. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    It's cool if you get lucky, though. :)