Well, it's about damn time (Spider-Island)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Switchblade, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Newsarama.com : "Oh Reilly?" Marvel Teases a Return in SPIDER-ISLAND
    So Marvel is teasing the return of Ben Reilly in their new Spider-Man even thing that I haven't cared enough to follow. I was a huge fan of the Scarlet Spider and if this turns out to be true I will be absolutely ecstatic (and if it's just a cocktease I am going to... well, continue not buying Spider-Man comics, but in a much angrier way).

Anyone else excited by the possible return of the real/not-real/totally-real/no-seriously-clone/just-kidding/no-we-weren't Spider-Man?

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Ben Reilly should have been brought back as Ultimate Spiderman, but it will be cool he'll be back. Not a huge fan of the Spider Island event, I've been skipping it entirely. Might take a look to see the scarlet spider though.

3. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

well...it might not be Ben. They got every spidey suit showing up, maybe this is just one of those. But i think it would make the storyline so much more fun (better if he remembers everything)

4. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Wouldn't the burning of the Scarlet Spider costume mean he's not coming back? :p 

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Or maybe he's getting a new costume.

6. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

It's probably the introduction of Miles Morales into the Marvel Universe.

7. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Wonder how long until he disappears again. Probably by the time the Spider-Man movie hits. Marvel's excuse will be "New readers will be confused if there is even a panel of someone other than Peter with spider-like powers!!"

Maybe its just me but that entire event in the first post just sounds horrible.

8. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Heh, yeah, I find it silly that they killed off Bucky just when the Captain America movie hit, such a waste getting rid of all that character development in an otherwise standard fare event.

9. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    To confirm though, Ben turned into a pile of shit and evaporated in front of Peter right? I LOVE the character but that happened in Peter Parker: Spider-Man #75 and he hasn't been seen since expect for a What If? story and a couple of mini-series with flashbacks... right?

Huh? There already is an Ultimate Ben Reilly. He's an African-America scientist who helped create Carnage.

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah I know, I'm saying he should have been the new ult. spidey. IIRC, he created Carnage, so why wouldn't he be able to do up himself with some kind of gene manipulation that would turn him into a spiderman?

11. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    But he doesn't have Spider powers! And he's kind of a villain! At the very least a jerk.

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    It was a fake clone of the real clone, or a skrull, or an actor hired by Norman Osborn.

13. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Oh God, at least they didn't pull that... Bring Ben back for Secret Invasion, just to make him a Skrull...

Hell, he could have been the Spidey they brought back from space! Leave the other Spider-Man staying Peter, and *poof*, Scarlet Spider returns!

14. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That could have been undone/retconned due to OMD..? Marvel did it with Harry Osborn.

15. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I just finished ASM #667. Am I the only one who can't stand Ramos' artwork? Everyone has those gaping mouths, giant teeth, and goofy expressions. It just bugs me...

16. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I feel you. Cant stand his art at all.

17. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Ramos and JRJR both are touch and go with me. I love JRJR on everything except Iron Man. He draws the armors like a giant lego, not sleek and styled. Ramos does an awesome Spidey and a fantastic Green Goblin. But everything else looks to animated. However, I am glad to have his Spidey on my Avengers jam piece.

18. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

So, all this Ben Reilly nostalgia means our children will be nostalgic for OMD/BND when they get to be our age? Is that how it works?

19. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Dear God I hope not.

For me, the Clone Saga wasn't all that bad It was interesting to see a Spider-Man who was actually more aggressive in taking down his enemies, and who invented new weapons to compensate for his lack of experience. It was just when they decided to make Ben Reilly the real Peter Parker that all things went to hell.

One More Day was a terrible idea from start to finish, and execution didn't help things either. Having the writer who helped revitalize your title resign and take his name away from the story because he didn't agree with it also didn't help. I mean, geez, your explanation is "Magic, you don't need to explain it?" Please.

20. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Ramos is like Bachalo to me...loved them before (Ramos with Impulse and Crimson and Bachalo with GenX)...then they changed style (Ramos with Out There and Bachalo with Steampunk). The art is slowly getting to the point i can stand again.

wish they would go back to their old style...but i dont see that happening