Well, it might be about time......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darkhawk79, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well after many weeks and hours of thinking of what I want to do next I am leaning towards selling my Transformers collection. In the past 2 years I have been blessed twice with the birth of both my son and my daughter and I've come to think about what's more important---supporting my family or supporting my plastic crack addiction. Some of you already know that when my son was born I sold my vintage collection and I thought I would hold on to what's left and pass it down to my son but things have changed with my daughter arriving and I'm not sure that my heart is in collecting anymore. Now I'll be the first one to say I should put my family first and I understand that and let me just say that I do put them first, I mean I don't go out buying TF when I should be buying diapers and such, but TF's have been a huge part of my life and the one thing that me and my father actually can discuss and even though my heart may not be in it like it used to be I still feel addicted to them (ie: plastic crack)

I guess what I'm wanting from this post is to hear some feedback from the friends I've made here and my fellow transfans.

2. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    dude say it aint so but i can totally understand what your saying got to put family first and i still love the transformers but i dont rush out like i use too...

3. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Save the ones you absolutely know you will regret selling, especially those who have memories attached so you can share them with both of your kids. Just because your heart isn't in it right now doesn't mean down the road you won't want at least a few to share. Put the special ones in a box (if you don't want to look at them anymore) and sell the rest.

--Moony

4. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    agreed

5. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Man has got to have a hobby, even with children. I wouldn't sell anything unless you absolutely have to. If it's a difference between feeding your kids and keeping the toys by all means sell them. If they aren't getting in the way of anything, it hurts nothing to keep your hobby alive.

I haven't been able to buy like I used to since the wife got thyroid cancer last December, but the love is still there. Kind of on hold, but it's still there, I just don't buy like I used to. Maybe one here and there. I used to buy entire waves as soon as I saw them, now I have to be very picky. I love my wife, and I love our life together but she understands that my love to Transformers keeps me sane. With that said, if it was forced to sell my collection to keep us alive I would, but we aren't there yet. hehe

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    You can still keep what you have, just dont spend anymore money on future stuff and use that money for the kids. Money is going to always come and go, and really no one is ever prepared for children.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

If you have to sell them to put food on the table then by all means, otherwise just hold on to the ones you love and sell the rest. After the arrival of my son I've started to sell part of my collection but by no means am I getting rid of my collection altogether, rather I started setting my priority and for the toys that I can live without I will put them up for sale. I still buy a lot of toys, namely animated and classics/universe so I am not done with the hobby. My wife really dislikes me buying toys when I have so many at home but every person needs a hobby to keep them sane, like what Optimus-JD said. If I don't have TFs to buy I'll probably do something stupid, like learning how to smoke lol.

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    If it helps, I too have two kids, (Boy and Girl) and have found a happy medium with spending on toys and spending with my family responsibilities. I have made sacrifices, but still manage to collect. I don't drink, hardly have any other vices and spend very little money on other activities. I love collecting so I make it work. However if you heart is not into it then the answer is pretty clear.

9. Darkhawk79

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the advice from everyone that has posted but here's the thing, if i do make the final call and stop collecting I don't want to hold on to anything b/c it will make me remember what I once had and I'll want to start collecting again and at this point in my life that's not possible. And i do still get the 25th Joes so it's not like i would be without a hobby or something to take up my free time. And i'm not debating b/c i need the money for food or diapers but mainly b/c i'm just not into them as much. I won't lie the money will help out with the bills and that is part of the reason but i'm just feeling lost I guess when it comes to what i should do, if that makes any sense

10. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

If the passion has gone out of it, there really isn't a point. Sell your stuff and cash out, it's a win/win.

11. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Family, Life, Bills before toys.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Sell the kids instead, you'll probably get more money for them and the toys don't have running costs.

13. Darkhawk79

News Credits:
    I was going to try that but the wife didn't seem to high on the idea lol

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    That's why you put the ones you keep in storage, so you won't see them except when you happen to be getting the Christmas decorations or something (but don't store them in an attic!).

Are you going to be leaving the forum, too?

--Moony

15. Darkhawk79

News Credits:
    No i'll still be around lurking in the shadows and posting from time to time but just won't be buying like i used to.

And what i've decided to do is sell stuff off a little at a time so just in case i change my mind mid-sale i'm not completely out of luck

16. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Start with the A/E/C and BM, at least that's why I did.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    QFT. I know a lot of guys... a LOT of guys, including both friends and family, who made decisions that lead them to giving up something they have enjoyed for years and years. And you know what? They aren't happy. I say to find a way to incorporate your hobby into everything else or just keep it light. You are still you, and while you find new things that are as important or more important, unless it's keeping food and shelter for your family, don't get rid of the old things that made you happy for so long. There is even a chance that if you let things change that, resentment may squirm it's ugly way in. You may not think it now, but it is possible to start resenting people and placing blame on people for decisions you made based on them.

I know you made a decision already, I just wanted to get my two cents in there.

18. Darkhawk79

News Credits:

Thanks for you 2 cents and after talking with my other half about what i was thinking she told me it was my decision but also urged me not to sell them but if i did not to sell everything (just like everyone else has told me) so that's why i'm starting out slowly with things that dont mean much and doubles of stuff that i have. Once again thanks for everyones input and i'll see you around the boards

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Family first, dude. And oh, if need be, sell the excess but keep your faves.

20. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I'm in the same boat. Most of my collection is up for sale to help me pay on my car. It sucks big time... it's not what I wanted to do.

But, I must. And I'll still be lurking here... just because I'll always love Transformers!!!!