Well it finally happened, PS2 failure

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omega Supreme-1, May 26, 2007.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well my second PS2, is finally on it's last legs. Tonight, I tried to watch the Princess Bride for the first time and it didn't like it. Now all it gives me is "Cannot Read Disc" after it tries to read my DVDs. I dunno what i'm going to do, but i'm glad this quater of school is almost over for summer.

I bought a launch system, and I had it until it stopped working to. I replaced it in Christmas 2003, and now finally this one dies. Which means both of my units, completely crapped out in about 3 years time.

I just don't know what to do now ^_^;; I don't want a slim PStwo, because their DVD playback is terrible. It's smaller, and more space efficient true. I almost have at least 50 titles, so I have a bunch of games for it. I just bought Silent Hill 3 finally too ^_^;;

So, I don't know what to do. I don't think i'll find a brand new fat PS2 anywhere, and buying a used one from EB/Gamestop is asking for trouble really. I could list all my games on Ebay, and use the profits to go towards a region free DVD player. Then if I have anything left, I could put it towards getting a Wii.

I'm really not at all interested in buying a PS3, and upgrading to it. There's nothing at that price tag worth getting it for. I also have a Gamecube, and thus I have the software for that so I could use it on Wii. What do you all think I should do? Maybe you can put my concerns about PStwo to rest, and tell me that you haven't had any problems with DVD playback. Or if you have had problems with the system, please be sure to share them too.

2. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

I have a launch PS2 too,it's been thru hell.....and still works.
    Back when I had those disk read errors,I tryed moving the disk around slightly and that seems to have fixed the problem.

In my case I have a flip-top case which makes it easy to do this.

Otherwise if you're not playing those game sell them and get the dvd player.

3. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    My PS2 was from launch and it's still working great, I think most people run into problem because they use it as their main DVD player, which I don't think it was meant for. I'd say get the Wii, but that's because I have it already, you need to see what's suitable for you

Methos, you have a custom case for your launch PS2?

4. noodle

noodle in a bowl.

5. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, I also have tried using a Q-Tip and cleaning the lens. I wish I had rubbing alcohol to try cleaning it with, but I don't. I just tried swabbing the lens, and it made a difference at first while trying a DVD. It played for a few minutes and then finally went boom again. It really sucks x.x; I haven't had a chance to play Silent Hill 3 yet, or to finish .hack//GU. So, I do have a few reasons where I could benefit from buying another system.

6. noodle

noodle in a bowl.

By re-aligning the laser, I mean opening up the system and adjusting the laser manually. Its very simple all you need is to tighten or loosen a single "screw" a bit. I added a old forum in my previous post that may help you out with your problem.

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

If playing DVDs is bad for it, then it shouldn't be able to play DVDs. Either way, it's a sign of piss-poor engineering and manufacturing. If it's made to read DVD media, it should do so without destroying itself, no matter what the content is.

8. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

It's a fliptop case for use with the Swapmagic disks to play imports/backups.

9. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

My PS2 was giving me trouble about a year ago, then when I moved and set it back up i've yet to recieve another error.

10. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Considering all the gaming and DVD playing it looks like you do with the machine, I think that's about right... piss poor engineering? Just because it can play DVDs doesn't mean it has to... Think about it.... may last longer the next time you buy one... I bought a little $35 DVD player and mine works fine.

Or have I just walked into a "bash Sony" thread without looking?

11. cybertron2006

cybertron2006 Fly By Clockwork Pictures

I used to have a PS2 before it took a fatal beating in the disc tray. I had to buy a GameCube that's on the verge of me destroying it.

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

well, my launch PS2 is still kicking...though it can't play some games now (so far GTA: Vice City is one that i cant play)

13. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

The fact that it improved for a bit after the first time you cleaned it means there's a good chance that the alcohol will work, so try that. Also use a can of air to clear all the dust out if you haven't already.

14. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I got mine after the first price drop and it still works fine. I used it for many years as my DVD player, so playing DVDs does nothing to it.

15. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Had mine for a long time. Still works fine and was used alot for games and movies. Maybe it's a sign of piss-poor care for home electronics.

16. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I tried cleaning it with some alcohol based cleaning fluid. Though, it seems like the laser has had it. It makes lots of quiet ticking noises like a bomb, and when I tried to load any games it can't get to the title. It started to load them, and then it just dies before their title screen. So, I think it's safe to say it's dead sadly -_-; Is there anyone in here with a slim PStwo, that can reassure me on the DVD playback? If I buy one, it would obviously be a new system and the only new system one can get are the new models x.x;; I might buy a can of air today while I am out, but I have a feeling it won't make any difference sadly.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No it's not.

and this problem didnt happen because he used it as a DVD player. it is because of horrible engineering of the PS2. it's very well known that the laser assembly is shit on the first model. If you have a big PS2, it will die on you. when just depends on how much you use it, but doesnt have a thing to do with what you use it for. This happens to people who never even watch DVDs on the machine.

The slim PS2 is free from all the problems the big one has. it has improved DVD playback abilities (DVD-R, for example), and an integrated IR reciever so you dont need to use the reciever for the remote that plugs into a controller port.

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I didn't know that. Maybe I should upgrade my old model before it gives me problems.

19. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    The only thing I really miss about the later fat ones and the slims is the lack of an iLink port. I know I'm one of only about seven people who use that, but I used it a lot, dammit!

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Armored Core junkies used that iLink port a lot. losing it damn near killed tournaments, until the developers started using the network adapter for the same thing.