Well, I was disappointed... (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SkyBoomer, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkyBoomer

SkyBoomer Gogglebot

Okay, I know I'm stirring up a hornet's nest here, but I really have to say my thoughts. If you liked the movie, please don't think I am insulting you here - You are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine. Also, let me preface this by saying I am a big Transformers fan, and I enjoyed the first movie. I was really, REALLY wanting this movie to be good. I went to the midnight showing, and came out thoroughly disappointed. Needless to say, spoilers ahead, my friends.

I'm going to say my biggest problem first. The "climax". In Egypt, when Sam was doing his mile-long dash to Optimus. Now, we had all the Decepticons coming in to kill everybody and wreak havoc, which is all well and good, but my problem was that we didn't have the Autobots fighting them - It was primarily the US Military. It seemed every few minutes in that final battle, we had more tanks and more airplanes coming in to bomb the Decepticons. The new Autobots looked awesome, I was looking forward to Sideswipe, Arcee, and Jolt kicking Decepticon ass. What I saw was numerous tanks and soldiers shooting at Decepticons while Ratchet or Ironhide just kinda stood off to the side, shooting. Who was Jolt? He looked so cool, I wanted to see more of him. Oh, wait, who am I kidding? There were some Autobots who got the spotlight! Too bad they had to be The Twins.

God, I hated them - For me, they were the Jar Jar Binks of this movie. They were two needless characters who tagged along and served no purpose to the film other than to be stereotypes. In all honesty, during the whole trek through Egypt, they could have removed them, and just had Bumblebee. Nothing would have been lost. They stole the spotlight from Bumblebee, who it seemed like everyone hated in this movie. I mean, Bumblebee dives out of the garage to blast the kitchen appliances from hell and save the Witwicky family, and gets shunned for it. My girlfriend and I both gave quiet cheers when Mudflap (Or was it Skids? I honestly didn't care at that point) was getting eaten by Devastator, and both groaned when he punched his way out... which brings me to my next issue. Devastator.

Devastator is supposed to be one of the most powerful Decepticons, and honestly, I liked his look for this movie. The whole Vortex Grinder thing was AWESOME. I was just so frustrated with how they treated him - First his trouble with the Twins (By the way, what ended up happening there? Their little soiree just seemed to kinda peter off to nowhere), then us getting to see his wrecking balls (Was that really necessary? Poor placement for a joke like that). Also, how were there individual Constructicons fighting after Devastator had already formed? Finally getting blasted apart by a military weapon, and not by one of the Autobots. Had Optimus destroyed him once he was combined with Jetfire, I wouldn't have been quite as disappointed... The way things happened, it just didn't live up to the build up, which is how I feel about the movie as a whole.

It just didn't live up to what it had been built up to be for me. Michael Bay said there would be more robots - I had been hoping for more character development. Yeah, I know there was the whole scene with Starscream, Megatron, and Emperor Palpati- I mean The Fallen. But it seems he mostly thought we wanted more robots being blown up by the military. I know Bay is a fan of the armed forces, but I didn't think this movie would be a total love letter to the military. It also struck me as odd how Bay vilified the president and government (With their wanting to turn Sam over to the Decepticons) but managed to also glorify the military. I wanted to see a movie about Transformers - Not social commentary.

Finally, I'm going to say, there WERE a few parts in this movie I liked. I thoroughly enjoyed Optimus Prime's asskickery in Shanghai. That part gave me chills. The whole first act was alright - A few lame jokes (Sam's mom getting high was handled poorly), the Pretender was pretty cool, and the fight in the forest was also really cool. But from the point when Optimus died until when Optimus came back, I did not have an enjoyable experience. I kept looking at my watch, wanting to know when it would be over.

Okay, I'm gonna wrap this up. I know I'm gonna get flamed, and have my intelligence insulted by those who had a different opinion on the movie. In an advance response, I am going to say this to those of you who disagree with me: That's okay. As I said at the top of this post, you are entitled to your own opinion just as I am entitled to mine, we're all Transformers fans here. If you liked the movie, that's great! Go see it a few more times. You liked the Twins? Awesome, go buy the action figures of the little boogers. I, myself am gonna go see something else in the theaters, and spend my money on the characters I liked (This leader class Optimus Prime is pretty badass).

Time to face the firing squad. Flame away, mi amigos.

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    We did not need a new thread for this.

3. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i agree with pretty much everything u said.. maybe apart from the twins, i thought they're kinda cool.. but u've noted pretty much all the issues i had with the movie.. but however, i still felt entertained, and i didnt feel much disappointed, i just felt it couldve gone ahead of the first movie, which (imo) it didnt

4. MugenAutobot

MugenAutobot Well-Known Member

I agree with quite a bit of your post. I loved the first movie and looked forward to this since then. I left the theater disappointed and I'm still pissed a bit. The movie sucked once they arrived in Egypt, and the Decpticons pretty much sucked for the entire movie.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.