Customs: Well...crap. (Classics Starscream dye job)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I cleared the paint off of a classics Starscream last night and got it ready for dying. Tonight, I did my usual dye process - Bring pot up to boil, remove pot from heat source immediately afterwards, add all of the RIT dye and 2 tablespoons acetone, mix in parts...

...and Classics Starscream is now 3 shades of blue. Fuckola.

It seems like the viscosity (I could be using the wrong word here) of the plastic is different in 3 locations:

-The plastic is molded very stiffly in the wings (the chemical bonds must be stronger or something) because the wings hardly dyed at all
    -The plastic is "normal" in the fuselage and most of the larger body parts, because those sections dyed to a nice royal blue.
    -The plastic is "looser" (chem. bonds are looser?) in the joint-related parts (like the elbow joints, the wing joints, etc.) because those are a VERY dark blue, near-black.

Ugh. Looks like it's time to Fusion this puppy. RRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I think its actually reverse. The parts that dyed dark should be the most dense parts. These are the parts I have trouble dying using the spray dye.

I think they dyed darker because there are more molecules for the dye to adhere to, where the wings and body are less dense so they have fewer molecules for the dye to adhere to.

You could try bleaching them out, I doubt bleach would do anything to the integrity of the plastic itself. Then again, its not my toy.

Best of luck finding a solution.

3. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Where do you get acetone?

4. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Maybe it has to do with how hot the different parts were allowed to get during the dye process (the wings are thin and would heat through more rapidly). Or, could the joints be made of a different type of plastic??

Have you ever experienced anything like this with any of the other dye jobs you've done??

5. fschuler

Lowe's, Home Depot, other hardware stores, and maybe at Walmart. Look in the paint aisles.

6. Rodimus

Thanks.

The heat temperature theory makes sense to me. Might want to try a cooler temperature.

7. Ringslinger74

Ringslinger74 Active Member

Hey Ops, I had much the same problem on my Purple Seeker. His legs dyed darker then the body which dye darker then the wings. I ran the harder plastic parts for upwards of twenty minute in order to get the dye closer in color. I did this in five minut intervals letting the pieces cool down in between though. I got them all a close color, but not exact. I'll post pics in the next few days of the finished toy so you can see. In the end...using the dye job first and then painting it will aleviate the paint rubs...as the color will be in the joints and not the paint. That's what I'm planning on my Black Starscream...since dyeing him black is just making him really dark grey. Hope this helps-

Erik

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yo, Ringslinger - That actually does. I had considered going back and repeating the dying process. It's good to hear that doing it repeatedly will help get the plastic considerably looser and, as a result, darker (or more true to color.)

The DARK blue joints don't bother me that much, since they're not that visible, but the wings look ridiculous right now.

Rodimus - you can also get acetone for dirt cheap if you buy Nail Polish Remover (whose active ingredient is acetone.) It does the same thing; it's just that you have to add more Nail Polish Remover than you would pure acetone chemical.

9. fschuler

Plus you get that wonderful TF cologne odor if you use the fragranced kind!! Beware of the non-acetone nail polish removers, though. Be sure to look for acetone in the list of ingredients on the bottle, if you go that route. In the end, you may get more acetone for your money if you just get a can of the pure stuff, though, nail polish remover may be more readily available in your area.

10. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I tried to bleach out the yellow arm and leg pieces of Ramble with no luck. Didn't have any effect at all. I even tried hydrogen peroxide. No change (they come in plastic containers. Doh)

11. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    What about penetration time?
    Could you not just leave the light parts in longer? Get them all dark blue?

Also what does the acetone do? I use it for cleaning oils and films off metal, and a small amount into boiling water would evaporate instantly. Just curious as acetone will break down certain plastics.

12. Rodimus

More importantly though, too much could cause a fire. It's highly flamable. (It even smells like Gasoline).

13. fschuler

Acetone is completely miscible in water (mixes completely and does not separate), and the intramolecular bonding between the water and acetone may help to keep it in the liquid state a little longer. Also, getting the last several % of acetone out of a water/acetone mixture would take some time, due to the presence of a near azeotrope at low acetone concentrations. This means that the vapor coming off would have close to the same concentration of acetone as the liquid itself, which wouldn't allow you decrease the acetone concentration in the liquid as quickly as you may think.

14. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just to add a little from my non-acetone experience. On Starscream (my first dye experience) even without acetone any plastic that is a joint takes dye EXTEREMLY well (a few seconds in the pot collects alot of color), also included in this is the null ray launcher piece, I don't plan on dyeing the missiles so I don't know about those.

I am thankful for this thread because it made me be more careful and take my fig apart more than I would have.