Well crap. (360 RROD)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Secretcode, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Well look what just happened!
    [​IMG]

My launch 360 finally kicked the bucket today, with my first RROD. No warranty left, and I rather not go through the hassle of Microsoft's Repair Service.

So now I'm debating on what to do next. I'm going to get a 360 again, but I don't know what to go for. How are the slims in comparison to the old model. Bear in mind that I'm sticking with new, as I don't want someone's sloppy seconds.

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    The slim's all you'll probably find in stores anyway. It's smaller, still works the same and comes with a larger HD.

Better hurry before the holiday rush starts. Then they'll become rare as all hell for the next 2 months.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd never look back after getting a slim.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I recommend the slim. I'll be getting one if my Xbox RR's.

5. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Not to mention it runs pretty quietly. A big plus if you're sick of your old 360 sounding like it's about to take off.

That and there's been no reported problems with it either, like RROD and such.

6. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Only thing I've heard at all about the new slims are the occasional power brick failure. Otherwise, they just haven't been around long enough, but so far so good. (For the record, I just got my slim back in August, no troubles yet.)

7. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

That happened to my friend's 360 back in January. I found a tutorial and fixed it for him and it's worked fine ever since. Not sure how brave you are with electronics but it could be worth a shot. I'm a computer engineering student so I couldn't help giving it a try, but it wasn't a very tricky operation.

8. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

Sorry about your death in the family.

My elite is still hanging in there.

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    The slim is rad but did you make sure you where out of warranty? Did you go through the process on the support site and make sure they would charge you for repairs?

If they do and you just want to get a new Xbox go ahead and sell the old one when you get it back.

10. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

They charge a $100 US to repair a 360 though. For that much I wouldn't even bother, as you'd probably be lucky to make that selling the replacement.

11. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Did you actually check the Xbox site for warranty status? I had one of mine RRoD a few months ago and assumed it was well out of the three year RRoD warranty. I checked first with Microsoft online and found that, strangely, I had a a few days left for them to repair it for free.

Otherwise, if you are adequate at all with your hands, I'd suggest buying one of the cheap kits (check Google) and repair the Xbox yourself. Regardless of how good the new model is, it seems silly to pay full price to replace a five year old machine that can be fixed for $10. (The fix isn't necessarily permanent as it doesn't solve the underlying design flaw, but I've repaired a few and all are working well after a year following their respective RRoDs.)

12. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For about 20 bucks you can fix that problem actually (in a lot of cases)

It takes a little bit of work, but there is a way to replace the x-bands they used with washers by popping open the box and removing the x-bands. It doesn't take very long, and the hardest part is actually just drilling out the current holes and making sure the drill holes are clean. It's still pretty easy.

I picked up an xbox off ebay for 20$ (X box 360 broken not working with cord parts only on eBay.ca (item 190449431233 end time 27-Sep-10 03:25:08 EDT)) that had gone rrod to test this method out and it worked on the first try. Just make sure that if you do it that you clean the original thermal paste off really well and apply a very thin coating before reapplying the heat sinks. Also, you will have to overheat the gpu, but make sure that the cpu is cooled so that the machine doesn't shut itself down. It's a matter of positioning the fan properly, but it's something a lot of people miss.

There's an excellent tutorial on a site which I don't think I can post directly since it has modchips I believe, but they also provide the kits and all necessary tools for a pretty good price if you want to try it out.

If you're considering trying it, but aren't sure, think of it this way, at worst you're out 20$ and an hour or two of your time. At best you're just saved yourself a few hundred bucks and the time it would take to transfer your content to the new xbox.

13. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Hmm, now seems like the perfect time to upgrade to a gaming PC or PS3 and not have to worry about being nickle and dimed for a major component of most any game nowadays (online play).

14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, sounds like you got some good years from it. Mine red ringed just last night, and I am sitting here with it boxed up to be shipped out. This was a launch machine as well, but this is the 4th time it's happened to me, the last being 2 and a half years ago, but it's still covered. Fortunately, I took advantage of a 250 gig bundle earlier in the year so I had a backup. I would get a slim if I were you, but keep an eye out for all the deals going on around now.

15. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

:rolleyes2 

16. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Thats why my friend, If I was you I would just chunk that 360 and go and get a PS3 that is more dependable. I know I would probly hear a bunch of crap for this remark but I support Sony 100%.

17. Starfire22

Starfire22 I am dirty dan!

News Credits:
    Chunk it and get alienware. (or the PS3 if you're on a budget)

18. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Didn't take long for the "Chuck the 360 and get an ultra-rad PS3" comments to start up. (This coming from someone who owns all 3 consoles.)

He already said he knows he's gonna get a new one, so trying to sway him was useless from the start.

19. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Think of this as an opportunity to get a REAL console.

[​IMG]

Built-in modem, removable VMU memory, this baby has it all, and you'll never have to worry about red blinking blue screens of death.

20. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I've always loved how that controller was damn near the size of the console.:lol 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.