Welker still Megatron.....in the Game Adaptation!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Cy-Kill, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

Gamespot posted a story and interview today about the Transformers Game, and apparently Welker will reprise his role as Megatron in the game, rather than the movie.

I'd say it was a mistake on GameSpot's part, considering the confusion it'd create with Weaving providing voice work in the movie, but the site also posted an interview with Welker....

Perhaps this is the answer to the rumour earlier that Welker would still do voice work associated with the movie?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168669.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168694.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;3

Also, it looks as though some new screenshots from the game are provided. Just click on the Welker and Cullen picture in the news story. Man, the game models are extremely detailed, and apparently the Swindle character that just poped up on eBay is in the game too!

2. Maboroshi

Maboroshi Optimal

That would actually be kinda cool. Weaving for the movie, Welker for the game.

3. Don_East

Don_East Wants TFA Seeker Toys

Cool, the game is now on my must buy. Also the sondbyte of Welker doing Megatron is improvement of the Allspark one.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I hope to see some game clips soon, I want this to be a good game.

5. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hm, that's interesting. It's odd that they'd have two different Megatron voices between the movie and the game, I wonder if either of the actors were very hurt that they weren't Megatron in the other. Regardless, I'm happy Welker got to reprise Megatron in some form.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If he was good enough for the game he should of been good enough for the movie. It will be odd to have one voice in the movie and a different one in the game...

7. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    What a great consolation prize... NOT.

This just makes me anticipate the game more than the movie...

8. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Well at least he is still voicing Megatron in some way.

After hearing that clip, I really think they should have cast him for the movie role.

The man's still got it!

9. Inner-Demon

Inner-Demon Instrument of Destruction

Ebay:
    Most actors in films never reprise their video game counterpart, it isn't that shocking. Johnny Deep for POTC, Ewan and Hayden for Star Wars, it's just rare. Except for cartoons, so yeah.

To still get Welker for the game is a great and pleasant nod to fans. Besides, I didn't think Welker's voice would have fit the film's version of Megatron, Hugo's does, personally I want David Kaye, but whatever. It'll still be cool to have Welker for the game, gonna rock either way.

I'm anticipating both, just because a specific actor doesn't have the same role for both variations doesn't mean crap. It's just a flipping game.

10. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

But what I don't get is that in this cas they could have had the same actor play Megatron in both the game and movie. I love it when actors do the game voice work. And unless Hugo will do Frank;s Megatron or Frank will do Hugo's Megatron it will be weird. At least in other instances where the actors don't reprise their role for a game they get a sound alike.

11. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Weaving has been in a number of movies made into games, but I don't think he's ever done the voice work in the games.

12. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

I personally like the idea, as fans now get the best of both worlds. The movie gained a little in terms of brand name and star power, while the game provides a great nod to the fanbase who have clamoured for Welker.

The only thing that's odd is that this will most likely confuse those who aren't aware of the G1 Megatron, such as younger kids and adults not into Transformers. I can totally envision people seeing the movie, then purchasing the game, only have to a weird look on their face when Megatron in the game speaks. Oh well!

13. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Welker is best. Agent smith is a girl.

14. Barricade

Barricade Frenzy is in my pants.

Welker, dammit! :mad 

:thumb 

15. Kthardin

Kthardin Well-Known Member

FUCK YEAH! FUCKIN' A, YEAH!

16. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    "...my mind is officially blown."

Couldn't have said it better myself....that clip was great.

17. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Well, in most videogame adaptations, the actor from the movie doesn't reprise his role in the game. Whereupon, it is a lesser-known voice actor who fills in.

Welker does this in videogames, too. It's only natural that Weaving either didn't want to be in the game (or it didn't pay enough, didn't fit into his schedule, whatever), and it was just serendipity that Welker (who does TONS of voicework on cartoons, movies, videogames) was also well known to play the character that had to be filled in.

18. TheNexusRebound

TheNexusRebound Active Member

That is weird he gets the game job but not the movie one. Shows how Hollywood works I guess.

19. Barricade

Barricade Frenzy is in my pants.

Well, Weaving will draw in his fans to the theater and add a big name, and Welker will shut the fans up and make them buy the game by the zillionz. ;) 

20. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Well, if there was any doubt based on the audio clip that Allspark put up a few months ago of Welker doing Megs, it's now been shattered. That new clip is absolutely DEAD ON perfect, and proves ten fold that Welker has indeed still got it now as much as he did 20 years ago.

I am elated beyond words about him & Cullen signing on to do the game voices, but it's bittersweet. Hearing him do Megatron in that clip gave me every confidence that he could have easily done it for the movie, regardless of Megs new design. But what's done is done, so I won't waste bandwidth complaining more about Weaving getting the film role instead.

For the record, both of those new interviews with Cullen & Welker are fantastic reads! I love how much they admire each other, and think it's hilarious how they originally viewed their popularity - "what is a BotCon and why would they want us there?" - hilarious!