Welker as Soundwave?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tony, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Tony

Tony Active Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys,

was just at Shoot for the Edit

"Nelson here...

S4TE forum member ‘MitP’ started a thread pleading Michael to use Frank Welker as the voice for Soundwave. Here is Michael’s response:

"I think I'm going to pursue Frank on Soundwave". - Michael

How Cool?!?!?!

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    that would be the equivalent of Cullen as Prime

3. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    almost.

4. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    i would give everyone's firstborn for that to be true(i've run out of potential children, hope you don't mind :confused2 )

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Nice if it works out.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was really not impressed with Cullen's subpar performance as Optimus Prime, so that put me off wanting any of the old VAs brought in for major characters. However, Welker is a lot better than Cullen and Soundwave is looking like only a minor character, so I wouldn't mind Welker doing the voice.

7. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

thats cool....but makes you wonder....why hasnt soundwaves voice actor been casted yet...the movie is due in theaters in what 3 months? sure thats enough time but why wait for so long? they could have had the voice acting done a long time ago

in anycase, i dont see why they couldnt go with frank welker for soundwave...i would assume that who ever they use is going to sound like g1 soundwave anyways so they might as well....

8. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

:sly2:  Cullen has never done anything subpar, especially not his performance in the movie. You're the only person I've ever heard that had anything but praise for Cullen's performance in the film.

Welker's performance in the game as Megatron was very, very subpar. He sounded like they recorded him in his sleep.

9. Infil

Infil Well-Known Member

Very nice to see Bay pay fan service like this

10. JuicyNo

JuicyNo Well-Known Member

The only complaint I can imagine someone having with Cullen's movie performance was the deeper voice due to his 20+ years since originally voicing Optimus. I felt like that added a bit more gravitas, nobility, and wisdom to the characte versus how he sounded in G1.

11. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Say they do get Welker. If they go with the vocoder heavy approach, this would be nothing more THAN fan wank. Now, I'm a huge Welker fan, he's a big influence on my interest in voice acting, but Soundwave's voice is almost entirely a result of sound effects. Do the Dr. Claw voice, relatively emotionless, and let the audio engineers handle the rest.

It'd be great, great fan wank though, no doubt. I love the Soundwave voice. Hearing something that matches it properly, with Welker behind it, I'd be thrilled.

12. Hydrobot

Hydrobot Super Ginrai!

I'm not into G1... hell, I'm not gonna say I like G1... but whom ever says Peter Cullen did a poor job in the 1st movie must be insane...

13. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Oh God, yes please. Confirmation that Welker is voicing Soundwave would be as much as a confirmation that the character will retain his awesome voice from G1.

14. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Frank as Soundwave would be awesome, but I wonder if it IS a bit of misinformation and like... Soundwave is scanning voice frequencies and one sounds like Frank Welker. XD

And apologies to Hydrobot for my original comment here. I misread your post and thought you were calling people insane for LIKING Peter Cullen in the movie :x Gotta read things clearer before I sound like a G1-er...

15. Atlas

Atlas Supreme Commander

News Credits:
    I hope hes soundwave but also im hoping that they use a vocoder for that vintage voice.

16. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If true, this is just further proof that Bay is not raping anything.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    This would probably be a pretty recent development, meaning if they're still doing voicework for Soundwave's scenes, there must be something going on. Either he doesn't have a lot of time/connection to the plot, or they're going back and redoing it, or maybe the movie isn't close to finished and its going to be a rush job. Who knows?

Or maybe this is outright BS. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Still, sure is interesting to speculate about.

18. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As long as Soundwave sounds like G1 Soundwave I'll be happy. I wasn't a fan of Cybertron Soundwave's voice, TF:A's Soundwave is good, but not the same as G1. If Mr. Welker is the only one who can pull off the classic Soundwave voice, then it'd be great if he gets to voice ROTF Soundwave.

19. Segor

Segor Well-Known Member

Yes!!, please mister Bay, let us hear Frank once again as Soundwave

20. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. Yeah, Soundwave's voice is so digitally edited, that casting Welker would just be for the G1 fans. Not a bad thing though.

Though I would think that the movie would already have all of the voice overs done. Because you have to record sound first so the FX can match it...right? Though if I remember correctly, didn't Welker say something in that new interview about doing something Transformers related again? I will have to go back and check...I could be completely deranged and have imagined that...