Customs: Welcome to the World of Nobody Cares

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

We're all here for pretty much the same reason: to customize action figures.

But I'm just wondering how the people you know outside of Radicons - or any other kitbashing site for that matter - feel about your work. These people include friends, relatives, significant others, co-workers, etc.

Do they look at this hobby as "silly" or as a "waste of time"?

What's the oddest comment you've gotten from a non-customizer?

Discuss.

2. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was talking with a good friend over beers last friday...talking about our lives (we're both 34) and I was complaining a bit, that I spent $100 on toys this week.

He said: "So what? It's what you're into. I spent $200 at the grocery store because I like to cook. Probably $50 of that was for herbs alone."

So, I get support. My three close friends all have one major hobby each, so they understand. Music, Cooking, and Knitting. And they all blow money on it. The problem for me is that my hobby takes up so much space!

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Good topic. I can relate as I've gotten feedback from a wide array of people outside of the TF fandom world.

Most family loves that I am loving what I'm doing, I'm usually so excited about stuff, I talk their ears off with ideas...(what seems to them as jibberish im sure)

My parents are excited to an extent, but (as most parents do) want me to keep a foot planted in something more lucrative and long-term (so I still fetch my HTML/wed development gig here and there)

I get good feedback from these "outsiders" because it's a fresh "virgin" perspective. For example, my Fiance has no clue who Grimlock is, therefore can see the custom as say something like "Shouldn't there be more color in this area"....it's refreshing and important to get that point of view. Many times I cherish these opinions because, frankly they are very outside the box.

My neighbor's kid (he's 14) asked me if I work (he must see me home a lot) I told him what I do, and his eye popped out of his face. Turns out, he's a huge TF fan - so I showed him my work shop...he was very blown away, showed up a ½ hour later with his Beast Wars collection, asking for help transforming them all, lol.

My fiance is very very supportive of what I do, and often helps on some of the "back end" stuff, I guess she's my executive assistant to an extent. She allows me to work unhindered by doing anything that would keep me from working (laundry/cooking/picking up supplies/etc)

Some people have no idea what I do, it's tough to explain to those who have no idea what Transformers are. And sometimes, I can see they simply 'nod' in agreement just to put the topic to it's end.

I gotta say though, the emails I get...are what motivate me the most. I sometimes get the most outlandish mail from 'fans'. I love getting random emails from people all over the world, and language barriers never seem to be a hurdle when we exchange ideas or compliments in conversation, it's really cool to talk about TFs on a universal level. I think those who know me well enough to know I really really love what I do and am really a die hard Transformer fan, appreciate and are cool with it all.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

A few of the kids I know at school think the customizing jobs I do are actually really cool. One of my best friends even commissioned me to do some custom characters after swooning over my first custom: Burnout (interestingly, he's the one who gave me the figure when it was just a poor-condition Movie Camshaft missing a door and badly scratched). That friend also pays me sometimes with junker figures that I use for customs as well (he was beaming when I took his junker Energon Prime off his hands).

5. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My live in girlfriend (she keeps insisting I call her my fiancee) wants to do a custom collaboration....A baby blue (her favorite color) Ultra Magnus (my favorite character). But I keep telling her I can't deal with that right now.

Oh and one last thing. This above mentioned girlfriend had a bachelorette party for her friends at our place, and they checked out my studio. It's mostly paintings, but there is a conspicuous amount of toys in various states of customization.

Girl 1: "He paints toys?"
    My fiancee: "Yes"
    Girl 1: "Why?"
    My fiancee: "It's like his art. There's a whole toy painting scene!"
    Girl 1: "ORLY?"
    My fiancee: "Here, let me show you all of them!"
    Girl 1: "Ummm...no thanks, how about another margarita?"

Ahh jeez F_R...I can't believe there is so much animosity among customizers. I guess when it becomes business/competition, that's bound to happen.

6. Satomiblood

My girlfriend is into creative stuff herself: making plush monsters, cake commissions, and customizing munnys, etc. She think it's cool, but doesn't really know much about the TF mythos so a lot of it seems like a foreign language to her.

7. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

My g/f has been surprisingly supportive when it comes to my newfound hobby. She's even started watching G1 with me. I also lucked out because she's into ALMOST everything else I'm into like Pro wrestling, Star wars, Kottonmouth Kings, andthe list goes on. A few weeks ago, I was looking at a gallery of the Tigertron fig, and she begged me to find one and paint it in Bengal tiger colors. I guess I'm pretty lucky in that dept. As for my friends, most of them say stuff like "Oh that's cool" or "You made that?" but I can tell they couldn't care less but are trying to be supportive, wich is cool. I do have one friend who's into TF's, and has done some modding and repainting of a few, but our ideas don't usually match up, so we don't collaborate much other than exchanging ideas. (I really wish one of you Radicons would move to Cleveland!) My parents, on the other hand, are very old school, and think that anything I do that isn't job related is a waste of time. But it's been that way forever so I'm used to it.

8. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Cool topic. All my friends (apart those from the SIngapore tf.sg forums) think that this is a waste of time. Now really! Not many people here knows that there's such a thing as painting your transformers. They go, "What? Painting your toys? For what?!?! Waste of time." Hahah.But i'm used to it. It's something I enjoy doing, seeing that after I start work on a toy, it seems more alive with colours as opposed to it being plastic.

Strangely, this hobby seems to be stereotyped as a "sport for geeks" at times. Not sure why. Been seeing the "show yourself section" and all I see are normal and pleasant individuals with a normal happy life :) .

9. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

ok how to explain my peeps lol. In our news room christmas time is always exciting. I gave everyone a bash for Christmas and I tried to make them each a figure that said something about the character. Not one person laughed at me for doing so or called me silly. They really seemed to appreciate the thought that went into the gift. One coworker asked for another one actually which was cool.
    My wife gets irritate with all my supplies around the house(that will soon change with our new garage) but she also completely supports my hobby. She looks for bots she thinks i can use and helps me pick out paint and even goes out of her way to find me the brushes i need when she is getting her own hobby supplies at hobby lobby. It means so much to me that she cares because i care. She respects my hobby and has never put me down for it. All she asks is that i dont rush out and buy lots of paint unless we have the money for it.

10. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

This is a cool topic, Satomi. You see ladies and gentlemen I do love the TFs, but also I like other things like pro wrestling, monster movies (Godzilla), and all sorts of stuff. In which its tough for me to explain and name them all. So my family is okay that I like this stuff, but they want me to get a job though. But still I haven't do any customs to show here, but I'm been researching other bashers of what I need and how to do it the right, or practice first before doing it for real so that you screw up badly. And well I've done a few Transformers artwork and I've got some good comments and criticisms, but that drives me even more to do my best despite my abilities. I do wish I had a gf that shares the same stuff as me, but I'm the most shyiest guy ever. But I do try to break out of my shell, but its a slow process.

11. Satomiblood

Why no job, Eric?

12. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Its a mixed bag really. Met up with some friends I haven't hanged with for a long while(few years) and when I told them what I do I found out almost all of them were closet action figure collectors and a session of 100 questions ensued. Was really great as i never had someone that interested in what I do to the extent of wanting to know the entire process so they can try themselves. Guess that's how it would be if there were no forums or internet. A few did think that it was a waste of time and such but they didn't prod, and let the others have at all their questions.

My lovely Fiance supports me 100% even though I do get the occasional eye roll when I want to go to the toy isle when we should be grocery shopping at the local super target. She is my best critique too, she will rip my custom apart and ask why certain things look like that and will tell me exactly what she does or doesn't like. My goal is always just to get a "wow" out of her which is starting to become more frequent which makes me happy.

Parents think I'm crazy I think. They support me though and when I told them I was going to Comic-Con on another companies bill that's when they realized that all that I do can actually go places. My Dad is a big car fan(he builds cars from the frame up restoring them or converting 4 doors into convertibles most recently) and is always trying to get me to sculpt a large scale car so he can get it vacuformed and have me paint it which I think is funny and will probably do at a later date for his brithday or something.

I think the funniest thing though is local Toys R Us. I have a few clerks that casually asked me if I collect them or sell them and when I told them what I do I had the same reaction as my friends and now they are my biggest fans trying to guess what I will make based off of what I am purchasing and always ready with some new question about something. LOL good fun.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  13. Satomiblood

Heh, I had spoken with my girlfriend the other day about the Radicons for the Kids charity auction and how I had briefly entertained the idea of contributing, but she actually shot me down...saying my skills weren't up to par and that I'd get too frustrated easily. I kind of already knew these things, but I had assumed that I was selling myself short and being irrational. Kinda sucks that she actually echoed my lack of ability.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Since I'm fairly new to this gig, so far, I don't quite know how to gauge reactions from people. Most of my friends find my ideas and WIPs pretty cool, but many of them are also into TFs or knew that I had been building Gundams for years (seems like a pretty natural step up).

My girlfriend is another story. Not to say that she's unsupportive of this, but I can't lie, the small collection I've built up recently and the money I've spent on it have put a bit of a strain on us. But I can't say it's not founded, she makes more than I do and ends up bailing my butt out when I overspend. So I've been more careful about budgeting recently, and also trying to garner funds with those sales threads. But yeah, I think that's where the meat of our issues stem from. Finances. So I can't really blame her. She's got her hobbies too, and there've been times where I've cost her those funds.

Also, I think she'd prefer I'd draw a little more often as well. Which I do honestly need to get back to. That whole "draw-a-day February" thing went horribly.

LOL Seems like kitbashing is an iffy issue even from myself. I gripe, but it's only because I care. Making toys I couldn't ever buy myself, that's why I like this. And I think a lot of people can get behind that.

PS: My parents? No clue I kitbash. Don't even know I collect TFs. They've ALWAYS hated the fact that I collect toys, so I don't find any real point in addressing it with them.

15. Ezilla82

Well I used to work at Taco John's pay was good, but it wasn't for me so I quit and that I had no vehicle so I'm pretty much house bound. Does it drive me crazy...sometimes, but being patient is unfathomable compare to some people, but of course I do have a short fuse temper. But thats manageable as well.

16. Satomiblood

Damn, that sucks. Hope you find work soon.

17. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    My brother and my dad now get toys for me to paint. My wife doesn't mind. She actually bought me 2 shelves for my figures.

Another thing that is cool is showing pictures of my collection. I am a guitar teacher and most of my students are kids. When they tell me they like video games, star wars, etc. I'll say "me too". Then I show them my collection and they are blown away.

An then I'll rub it in and say, "Yeah, I woke up at noon, played video games, drove to work in MY CAR, then I'll go to Toys R Us, go home, play more video games, go to bed at 2 or 3 AM". And the whole time I'm telling this I'm eating some Chick Fil'a. :) 

18. Ezilla82

Thanks. But I do get money from a different outlet, but thats kinda personal.

19. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Eh, it varies. My relatives think it's "A waste" and "Omg wuy wood joo chaeng figgurs?"
    My best friend seems to think it's pretty cool though. He even had a neat idea for the Warpath i'm working on. Wether or not i'll use the idea on Warpath... Well, just wait and see.

20. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    The wife is fine with it. When I was heavy into it, she actually tried to show interest in a new piece, or engage me in discussion about it from time to time. And she was on the look out for stuff for me too.

Co-workers....meh. I don't think they really care one way or the other.

Family....they're fine with it too.

Friends....don't really have any friends outside of this place.