Welcome to the great white north!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spikex, Nov 4, 2009.

1. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Well I made it up to Fort Macmurray, the land of ice and trucks. Constantly surrounded by numerous refineries that light up the night sky like the gates of hell, you can even taste the refineries in the air as you drive up. Jobsites that stretch literally for miles and constant danger of being crushed, blown up or poisoned to death! Weeeee!
    Not to mention living in work camp for 24 days at a time. At least it's a nice camp, has a tim hortons, clothing store, full gym and track and a bar! Just can't wait for the minus forty to fifty degrees celcius. All I can say is you guys get your tfs ready for shipping 'cause I am coming home with a fist full of cash and a high speed net connection.
    I guess the point of this thread is that iam excited and thought I could answer any questions about the oil and gas industry in alberta, even if it doesn't have a good reputation.

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Ok. If we accept that oil is a finite resource, and that ultimately an economy based solely on fossil fuels is doomed to failure...

... would you like some toast?

3. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Sent a PM.

PM'ed

4. spikex

Believe you me, they'll be pulling oil out of here for at least the next 30 yrs. Probably well into the next 50-100 yrs. As much talk as there is about alternative energy, there's too much money and people tied up in this industry and no truely viable aternative yet for things to change as fast as people think. If I can get the next 30 yrs of making muchos $$$ and retire well, then I am game. And yes I would like some toast, with a little pb+j. Could you cut the crust off too?

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    We hear a lot about how the operations in Ft. McMurray are trying to be efficient, sustainable, and above all else, clean and environmentally conscious. Have you seen this to be the case? What improvements could be made?

Also, do you find the majority of labor out there is from Canada, or international?

6. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

Seen any Polar Bears?

I got the Ice Cream Twins all packed up and ready to ship, just let me know what you address is!! :p  ..seriously though...

End of Line

7. red4

red4 Banned

Is there a risk of lung cancer in that poison air environment?

8. spikex

Well I can't do multiple quotes with the iPhone so I will answer in order of questions.
    The goal of the oil sands is to extract the sands which is called bitumen. The process they used to use to separate the oil from the sand wounld leave behind a white chalky substance called coke. Now the process they use (not sure of the specifics as I am a Scaffolder and don't really handle the product) acctually allows them to not create any coke and also produces about 1/4 of extra synthetic oil. The bitumen gets pipelined down to Edmonton where it gets this process. Big environmental problems come from the major use of heavy equipment and the general sh***y attitudes of the independant employees and management who want to spend as little $ as possible (we wouldn't want to cut into the bonuses for the higher ups now would we?)
    I found so far there is about a 40/60 international/Canadian worker ratio.
    As for lung cancer, the more dangerous areas require full respirator units and the older plants have alot of asbestos. This is a brand new expansion tho so asbestos is pretty much eleminated. Also I know guys who have been working here for 20+ yrs and so far they seem fine. Chances are if you have a mishap with any poisonous gasses, your pretty much dead within a few minutes or instantly. So cancer is not that big of a concern.
    As for polar bears, nope they are further north. Lotsa black and brown bears tho.

9. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Are there women there? And if not, do you plan on hooking up with Bubba?

10. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    Ive been up there, theres like 1 woman to every 20 men

thats why I stay in Edmonton

11. spikex

Thank god there is women in camp (not that it makes a diff since I am married but it gives a guy something to look at). Most of them are hot since they work for a living. There is enough 200-300 lbs tradesmen out here I am sure at least one of them is named bubba.

12. spikex

That's about the ratio in camp. I'm sure they are all getting tagged by someone out here. Not like there's much else to do during your off hrs. At least I have g1 devastator to keep me company.
    Did you work out here?