Welcome to Fyrestone Depot! - The Official "Borderlands" Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Lunar Archivist, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You lovely lovely people are going to play this today and I can't. Well that's the price I get for wanting everything.

2. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Noisemaze Collector

News Credits:
    Need moar players!!!

Don't make me kill things by myself....

3. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Suck it up killer!

What character you rolling as Onyx?

4. Noizemaze

News Credits:
    Playing Roland, the Soldier. Love my turret / health despensor / ammo despensor.

5. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Wow. Futureshop in my area had their copies stolen, Wal-Marteither sold out or never got, two people gave me different answers, Zellers never got it, Blockbuster and EB won't price match. Shitty deals.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So is it anything like Fallout 3? I have absolutely no interest in multiplayer, but I do want to explore a vast land, take side missions, and collect lots of crap.

Does it deliver in that regard?

7. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

It's nothing like Fallout 3 imo. Vast land exploring, side mission doing, and collecting lots of crap is definitely plentiful in the game. The only thing I don't like is when you leave an area and come back all the enemies are back as well.

8. Noizemaze

News Credits:
    If by "crap" you mean guns, and if by "vast lands" you mean instanced mission areas, then yes.

This is more Diablo 2 and less Fallout 3.

9. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

It's like a cross between Mad Max and Grand Theft Auto: Tatooine if that answers your question. :D 

10. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Is the map open? Can you go anywhere you like, or are you stuck in mission areas? It's a deal killer if it's not an open map for me, I've gotten to love the open-ended exploring of Fallout.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  11. Noizemaze

News Credits:
    Both, you navigate an open central hub area that can have it's own people and missions or go into instanced side areas that have bosses and other objectives.

12. Lunar Archivist

You can go anywhere you want that doesn't violate the story progression or the limitations of your own experience level. When you begin the game, for example, you're pretty much stuck in the vicinity of Fyrestone, the town you're dropped off in, because 1) you've got a pile of debris blocking the entrance to an area called Skag Gully to the east, 2) the bandits have cut the town off from the rest of the surrounding area by setting up a blockade against all vehicles and foot traffic, 3) the only way around said blockade is to jump a gap called Piss Wish with an all-terrain vehicle, but the local vehicle rental outlet, Catch-A-Ride, is out of order since its tech was stolen by bandits, and 4) there's an area owned by one of the galaxy-dominating megacorporations to the south where trespassers will be shot on sight.

As you advance in levels and get more powerful weapons and accessories, you'll be able to start hunting the local bandits and wildlife instead of vice-versa. Also, doing favors for the locals will open up new areas: T.K. Baha will tell you where the first boss, Nine-Toes, is located and instruct you to blow up the debris blocking the entrance to Skag Gully; retrieving the stolen Catch-A-Ride components from another boss, Bone Head, will reactivate the vehicle station and give you access to an all-terrain vehicle with either a mounted gun or missile launcher. A neat bonus is that two players can get in the same vehicle: one can drive while the other shoots.

The missions aren't as limiting as you think. Unless a certain area is off-limits for story reasons, you can technically be playing an unlimited number of them simultaneously.

And yes, there's open ended exploration. The entire planet is like a giant trash heap and has a gritty, lived-in feel, so full expect to be searching crates, dumpsters, old toilets, abandoned buildings, safehouses, trailers, and animal excrement piles for swag and booty. :) 

13. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ok - I'm sold! Sounds awesome.

14. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yay for Best Buy reward zone points! I got the game for free thanks to them.

Now I just need to find a way to get my wife to leave the house tonight so I can actually enjoy playing it and not listen to her piss and moan about me hogging the good TV for hours.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  15. Lunar Archivist

Get her to join you. There's a multiplayer option. :D 

16. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    She would rather be set on fire than play a game like this. If it isn't rockband, mario, or something on her cellphone she wants nothing to do with gaming.

That, and I only have one controller.

17. DaggersRage

I don't think the game is really open ended. In Fallout 3 & Oblivion, after you get past the starting area the game basically goes "Here's your equipment... Now go do stuff!".

In Borderlands, your start off in an area and you can venture out of other areas of the map, but if level is too low, you might not even be able to progress because the enemies are too strong. The storyline missions open up more areas for you to venture into and there are areas you can explore to snatch more loot. The various areas have their own dungion like places and in the more open areas there are outposts/villages festered with bandits for you raid. You'll also get most of your side missions from a billboard called a "Bounty Board", some missions will also be given from other characters.

I'd really compare this game to Call of Duty 4 (because the controls are almost the same) and a mix of Diablo.

The game is fricken fun though.

18. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn that reminds me I have to call Best Buy about my POINTS!

Sounds like my wife, always wanting to watch 15 shows she's recorded that day.

19. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I like the game, I played it for about four or five hours last night. I couldn't stop playing.

My only issue with it is that there are too MANY guns - I feel like I'm spending more time micromanaging them and fretting about what I should and shouldn't sell/drop rather than just shooting them.

20. DaggersRage

Here's an idea. On the weekend do we all want to get a 4 man party, start from scratch, and play it all day? For me, I'm referencing this for Xbox Live but don't see why any PS3 & PC players cant do the same.