Welcome back Helena Wayne and Earth-2!

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Fairlady_Z, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

In case you haven't heard, the Huntress roaming around the DCNu is none other than Batman's daughter from Earth-2! The last issue of the miniseries comes out today. One of my favorite comics blogs DCwomenkickingass is holding a Goodbye to Helena Bertinelli day. This is one time I can't relate. I've been waiting OVER 25 YEARS for Helena WAYNE to return to comics! (It took me that long to even tolerate and recently accept Bertinelli too. Let's face it we all have at least one legacy character we hate and Bertienlli was mine.) So I feel like celebrating!

But I can't even go to the DC message boards to talk about it because of their new website layout has done away with all the old message board. I'm not even sure the new site even has any message boards anymore giving them up in favor of facebook and twitter (neither of which I do) which I really don't apreciate. Social media is fine, but don't just cut off those of us who are too private to want to use it by offering no other options. Marvel still has their message boards after all.

Anyway, I'm so looking forward to World's Finest and the return of Earth-2 and needed a place to squee. I'm so glad one of my favorite superheroines from my childhood is finally back! Anyone squeeing with me?

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    The return of Earth 2 is gonna be pretty cool. I've been digging the Huntress miniseries, though the writing is a bit lackluster. At least where the plot and conflict are concerned. But Helena's voice is dead-on, so her ground-floor writer still digs her and it shows. The art is what really blew me away. Marcus To's work on the book is absolutely gorgeous from the Italian architecture to little folds in Helena's civvie wardrobe. When the miniseries is good it's great and really should have been part of the New 52 as an ongoing series.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come with the new Earth 2 stuff. I'm kinda neutral when it comes to Power Girl and company, but anything Huntress (especially outside of the umbrella of a Birds of Prey title) has me interested.

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    While it is nice to see Helena Wayne and Earth 2 return, from the looks of the previews, this looks nothing like the Earth 2 we know. I'm going to wait for the release and take a look, but I'm kind of disappointed that DC didn't try and use Earth 2 as a venue to tell more classic style stories, instead of telling the same type of dark (maybe even darker) stories they're putting out in the DCnU.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm a little ambivalent about the return of Helena Wayne. I'm a big fan of both Huntresses and part of me is bummed to see Helena B leave. At the same time, though, I'm thrilled to have Helena W back. It does help to keep in mind that Helena Wayne is being retconned back into the new DCU so that any stories Helena B was in now star Helena W instead. It also helps that, while the Huntress mini's story was kind of boring, the character work in it was really nice - I like Levitz's take on her and will happily read more of it. Throwing in Power Girl and reuniting one of my favorite comic duos of all time is just icing on the cake.

Plus having Helena Wayne back means we get to see that really awesome design for her as Earth-2 Robin.

5. Star Saber

News Credits:
    That's if the Helena B stories even existed in the DCnU. They seem to have retconned a lot of stuff into non existence.

6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Like the real Flash.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I keep hoping Wally shows up and he's from the old time line. He'd be able to pull something off as he always had more abilities than Barry. They even said he was faster.

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Oh, DC's Earth-2. For a moment I was hoping for a continuation of the TV show Earth-2 :( 

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    A few months ago I'd have agreed, but the Manapul Flash book has really done a good job of selling me on Barry. It's possibly my favorite book of the relaunch.

10. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    The Birds of Prey fan in me misses Helena B badly :( 

I am interested to see how World's Finest plays out though, the Huntress miniseries was great even if the character was indistinguishable from Helena B.

11. Cogar

Cogar Follower of the Code

My first exposure to Huntress was in the late 80's series with Helena Bertinelli. With the exception of the last three issues, that remains my favorite run to this day.

I always thought the DC universe(s) and crises ad nauseum were poorly conceived and executed even more badly, so I am indifferent regarding what they claim to be "real" or "current." I did like the Birds of Prey series that started in the mid 90s for the most part. Some issues and story arcs were wonderful and some were packing material. (Like many comic series.)

12. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I do agree the last few crises DC's made have been poorly conceived. The old 60s ones and the Crisis on Infinite Earths were much better though. COIE just had the misfortune of DC getting cold feet, and not totally rebooting everything, which mucked up a lot of things for them. It kind of seems the DCnU will end up the same way.