weird what a new monitor will do

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by metcar, Jul 11, 2009.

1. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

ok let me state my specs first i have a amd 64 x2 5000+ cpu,2gb of ddr2 ram,2 hdd one 80 the other 250,2 nvidia 9500 cards running sli,and asus nforce motherboard with onboard audio.now for the longest time i've been using a 17in flatscreen crt monitor and all my games have been slow case in point elderscrolls oblivion i've had to run it with most the detail set to medium and the resolution at 800x600,well no i've switched to a new lcd widescreen monitor and every single game now runs flawless maxed out at high res (1440x900) i just find it so weird a monitor change could do that.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Right, that sounds accurate.

3. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Sounds like the 17 incher may have had a horrible refresh rate or something. I had to upgrade my video card when I went to a 23 inch widescreen.

4. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

yeah thats my guess too cause all the games were choppy on anything over 1024x768 with the old crt monitor

5. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

That's really puzzling overall...the only thing I've noticed is that a smaller monitor can run video files that are larger than it's resolution slower if you computer can't keep up with all the scaling going on. But for games, never heard of such a thing, unless maybe you had v-synch on and a really low refresh rate set.

6. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

i never used vsync and my monitors refresh rate was 60hz wich is what the lcd is using right now and everything is faster on the lcd than on the crt it may have been i had to use a dvi-to-vga connector as my vidcards were dvi only and the crt monitor was d-sub only

7. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

The conversion shouldn't make any difference either...just an odd situation all around.