Weird Safety standards that make no sense

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So recently I got my Comm Edition Ultra Magnus. So, I was doing the missle mod to them and it struck me.

So let me get this straight:
    - You shorten the smoke stacks to avoid eye injuries and or choking hazards if they break.
    - You increase the size of the missles to avoid eye injuries.

Doesn't the larger size of the missle make it more prone to breaking, like the smoke stacks? What am I missing here? Besides, you know, dumb laws.

2. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

they increase missile size to reduce choking hazard. larger missile also means slower projectile speed.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Yep. Try firing a stock missile from a Generations Warpath. Now cut off enough of the tail so that you can still fire it, and launch it again. It should go much farther the second time.

It may seem like overkill for grown ups like us, but to little kids who don't know any better, broken or loose parts of just about anything are just more stuff to put into their mouths or stick into other places like their noses.

4. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

The missiles are longer so they aren't a "Choking Hazard" Though I think it is kind of stupid, Any kid old enough to be playing with transformers should be smart enough NOT to stick the fucking missile in their mouth. Unless their mentally deficient, then they really shouldn't be playing with transformers anyway.

On the topic of Safety regulations, I find it fucking stupid that Hasbro has to neuter most missile launchers. If I had a dime for every North American release of a Hasbro toy I've owned whose missiles shot all of 2 inches (or cleared the Barrel for that matter).... I'd be a few bucks richer, dammit. It would make sense if the missile was Pointy like G1 Perceptor's were (Reissue, anyway), but half the missiles are purposefully blunted so they CAN'T cause damage

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You ever accidentally shot yourself in the eye with a missile? Instead, imagine it getting stuck in your windpipe.

Also, kids don't necessarily heed the warning "do not aim projectile at eyes or face".

Purposeful nothing. Safety regulations are to prevent accidental injury, not deliberate acts. No safety regulations in the world are going to prevent you from bludgeoning someone to death with an MP-01. But those safety regulations do prevent said toy from exploding in a shower of razor shrapnel if it falls from more than a foot.

6. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

:lol  Why did I picture a MP-01 just turning into a grenade of sharp metal and plastic bits comically being projectiled everywhere?

But seriously. Good points. :thumbs2: 

7. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

thanks to toy safety standards, i don't have to worry about mp-01 shattering into dozens of shrapnel cutting my hand when i'm bashing some one head in with it, at least not before the job is done.

8. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

Or to lodge in theirs ears and have the same peice come back out a few years later. (I did it, My left side hearing his not the best as a result of this.)

9. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

This made me lol so hard.

10. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can't compare the two. The missiles are large, robust, and loose. It actually takes some effort to break them. Meanwhile, the smokestacks are fixed to a relatively heavy mass. Dropping that mass greatly increases the likelihood that the smokestacks will break.

They are two solutions to two different problems.

11. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I got an eraser stuck in my ear for two years once.

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i'm surprised any of us are still alive. all those "unsafe" g1 toys,

13. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    They're all weird. I say let Darwin sort them out. If a child is too young to handle small parts or pointy objects then the parents shouldn't give them to them!

14. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We are smarter than the kids of these ages, all the kids now days have grown up with everything dumbed down and made easier so they don't have to try as hard. They also don't get the ability to learn from their mistakes cause the mommies now days don't trust their kids for anything because of all the messed up crap they themselves have done over the years. They just assume their kids will do it so they make sure everything is made "fool" proof so when they do get something like a G1 in hand they don't know how to treat it and end up choking on parts the break off.

15. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer to think of it as natural selection.

16. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Yes. Let's change the world and make children smarter by giving them a Jetfire with flip-out razorblades and leave the parents out of it.

17. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well, I haven't tried to drop Ultra Magnus from any form of height, but I am thinking the smoke stacks would break just as easily the missles. Not to mention the antennas on UMs head.

So you maybe correct, because you do seem to know more about this stuff. But I would love to know the safety standard and why it was done. Realistically, I know the missile shot out further, but can just as easily be lodged in a kids throat. Also, the smoke stacks can just as easily point a kid in the eye as the antennas on his head, or the longer missiles.

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

:lol  Your best post yet.

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Gang War edition Jetfire?

Well, you don't run the infamous drop test, do you? Although to be honest I don't know WHICH Ultra Magnus you're talking about.

Like mx-01 said, there's nothing stopping someone from doing something like trying to swallow a missile (or beat somebody to death with MP-01), but usually that's because there's the assumption people aren't stupid enough to actually do that after a certain age and parents will be responsible. TF packaging has a warning label that quite clearly states the toy inside can separate into pieces small enough to be constituted as choking hazards for children under the age of three.

20. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

There's always taking the missiles and launchers from the old Attacktix line, I've got a few from both TF and Star Wars lines, and some of them are powerful!!!

I shot down Classics voyager Optimus Prime with a missile from 2 feet away...iirc, it was a Wookie Commando, the one with the larger missile.

Of course the missle firing strength varied due to usage and QC of the launcher spring.