Weird question but... does anyone miss Turmoil?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ZombehDino, Jul 9, 2017.

1. ZombehDino

ZombehDino Fast as a Sharkticon

So, nothing recent in the IDW comics themselves really prompted this question but I was rummaging through TFWiki (as one does) and wound up at Turmoil's page. It got me thinking about the character and the role he played in both the Drift comics and RiD and... I can honestly say that I miss the guy.

Despite being a two-dimensional character who was never fleshed out in a super meaningful way, I think Turmoil's presence really added something to the IDW universe. He was a complete asshole who was totally down with demeaning and mocking (even name-calling) his adversaries but he also had a brutal honesty that I liked a lot. Between belittling Perceptor for giving his position away and calling out Drift for his moral hypocrisy, there was a number of times that I'd find myself thinking "he kinda has a point" after reading his dialogue.

In a time when so many of the big players in IDW, particularly on Cybertron, have hidden agendas and secrets that they cannot afford to have others learn of, a character as blunt and direct as Turmoil would be a really cool wildcard to have around. It could also be interesting to see how such a militaristic character would deal with a world in which his leader has defected and his faction has splintered.

I get that he's technically dead, but we have seen characters survive worse injuries in IDW and I don't think it would be unreasonable for us to learn that he's, for example, been in Starscream's custody this whole time, clinging to life in a comatose state similar to Springer post-LSotW. I don't know what explicit reason there would be for him to come back but like I said, it's more about the unique role the character filled in the universe. Even if there was different character of a similar archetype, I think the IDW continuity could use the presence of a "blunt and taciturn" (per the wiki) soldier.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    The only reason Turmoil was killed was to make SS look badass.
    Even as two dimensional as he was he was interesting and had potential.
    I'd like to see him return just as i'd like to see a.o. Dreadwind and Darkwing, Triggerhappy, the Technobots, and other"dead" bots and cons back.
    This is IDW, death is not an excuse.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I might if I could remember who he is. I looked him up on TFWiki and I'm still drawing a blank. He's apparently been in issues I've read, too.

4. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Nope.

Why?

Because Mr Generic Warlord can be replaced with anyone.

Find an unused toy-only canon Decepticon with a design imposing enough and s/he can do exactly the same.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I love his design. I also liked how he was pretty much Drift's main nemesis. I think his death was poorly handled, and I wouldn't mind seeing him make a return to the comics.

There is a little truth to this as well.

6. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I kinda like him, I enjoy it when things are fleshed out to show there's more minor commanders and such in the war and not just the old major characters.

And similarly, I'm totally fine that he's dead. Not everyone needs to survive the war!

7. gregles

gregles quintesson

So in answer to the question (Adopts Eric cartman voice) no no no no no... no no no no no no...no no no no no...no no no no no etc

His appearance was one of the blandest things I have ever seen take place ever. His design was even more generic than Furmans fallen. His only merit is being used as an example to people of what a really one dimensional character looks like when people accuse Tarn of being such a thing.

The fact that he didn't/doesn't even have any kind of Bobba Fett type cult status speaks volumes for how little people care about that character as normally any bland villain or 'badass' can enjoy that kind of status eventually.

Wouldn't be completely against anyone trying to bring him back as he would sort of be a blank slate but I don't miss him at all

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  8. Boatformer

Boatformer #HaulOfFame

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Roadblock?

9. ZombehDino

ZombehDino Fast as a Sharkticon

Honestly, I'd be down for that. It's more Turmoil's archetype I want to see return than anything else. I'll freely admit that I'm partial to Turmoil in particular because I love his design (some of the best shoulder pads in the TF style game) but a toy-only or largely underutilized G1 character would be cool. Hell, even outside of G1. Give guys like Torca and Crumplezone a chance to shine, they could fit the bill.

• Like Like x 2
  10. fishpop

fishpop Squishy Bear

Ebay:
    I only remember him because of MMC's Impactor remold existing.
    He looked cool though.

11. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i do....but i don't think there's a place for him anymore. his story was kinda told and he wasn't really a big player to begin with. i did like him though and yea i think about the character every time i fiddle with my commotus figure.

12. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Yeah, the guy's ideal for this.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Not really.

14. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

He's expendable. He was there to make others look good, but didn't really have much character development.