Weird question about registering Windows

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Galaxy Convoy, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

First me let preface this by stating that am not talking about anything illegal here. Nor am I asking for anything illegal. Just an honest question here.

Anyway, has anyone here ever had to actually call up MS to get their Windows OS registered? See, I have a laptop, an older laptop, it has no way of connecting to the internet, save for a 56k modem. So after upgrading my laptop from Win 98 to XP with a copy of XP I got off of Ebay, I'm unable to register it the normal way.

The reason I ask if anybody's done the phone option, is that I'm concerned about the legitmacy of the XP I got. It's an actual XP disc and packaging and all that, with a real registration code. And the seller stated in the auction that they'd bought it, but never used it. But due to the condition of the disc's package, I'm unsure if that's true or not. On the plus side, the seller had a 100% feedback rating with lots of other auctions under their belt. So it may or may not be unused, hence my question.

Basically, what I'm afraid of, is calling up MS and giving them the registration code(which I'm sure they'll ask for), and they come back saying it's already been used multiple times, yadda yadda. Maybe even getting in trouble for it in some way. Or do I even need to worry about that?

2. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Just tell them you bought a used PC, and it came with a real XP disc, and you wanted to do a fresh install if they ask. Either that, or just try it, they may not even ask. I've reinstalled XP multiple times on my PC for different reasons, and registered it every time (via online) and never had any problems. I wouldn't see why they'd give you grief if they did happen to ask.

3. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Ah, good idea, I hadn't thought of the used PC angle. Thanks.