Weird problem with Wii component cable?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by tikgnat, Aug 2, 2008.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I just bought a Wii, and I bought (arguably) the best Mario game ever for it, Super Mario Bros 3.

But fuzzy vision vexes me, so I went off and got a Wii component cable, now Wii fit looks nice and clear.

But suddenly SMB3 doesn't actually display on my TV. When the game starts its fine, but actual gameplay (well map screen) is blank. If I push the Wii home button, the display comes back on, (the three main pointer choices) and I can see the SMB3 map screen in the background.

But if I close that screen it goes blank again!

Any clues as to whats going on? Did Nintendo mess up video display options with the Component cable? Is there any way of seeing the game again without changing the cable every time I want to play it?

This sort of thing does happen with other people as well. The Xbox 360 VGA cable doesn't work with a bunch of Xbox games, because a few Xbox games (ie, Republic Commando) doesn't work at the forced 50fps the VGA cabe uses... and I still remember the Sega Saturn Scart cable I bought refused to work at all...

2. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

I'm going off the asumption that the TV it's connected to is a high def plasma or LCD. In that case it would be the TV. The older games that are available on VC (NES, SNES, Genesis, ect) were never designed with the newer TV's in mind (because they didn't exist).

Generally switching to the standard AV cables work, or even using the Standard definition while using the Component Cables.

If you were to connect the system to an older (tube) TV, SMB 3 would display fine.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I would imagine that its down to 480p being 60hz, wheras standard PAL is 50hz.

I don't use VC, but I would think that switching it back to PAL/576i/whatever in the output menu before you try running something in it would sort the problem out. It does it automatically for GC games, so i'm at a loss as to why Nintendo were too lazy to get thier emulators to do it.

4. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    hmm, i just checked on mine. i have SMB3 on my wii via component cables, and it runs as expected. you might want to check your display settings. are you trying to run it as widescreen (16:9) or standard?

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Blow into the Wii disc tray :lol 

6. RabidYak

You'll be getting the NTSC versions of the games in the US, so the difference in standards isn't an issue.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I tried all the different resolution settings, but not widescreen/pan and scan.

The only other thing I could think of is I started a game using the normal Composite cable, and maybe switching to Component using that save data has screwed things up? Not sure how it could though.

Argh. I want my SMB3 goodness, but not in fuzzy vision. Having said that the emulator automatically gives me authentic fuzzy vision anyway right? I remember seeing the N64 Starfox game, with authentic looking through grease on the screen.

8. RabidYak

9. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    Quoted for hysterical fits of laughter and nostalgia.