Weird pink square with green arrow on my desktop.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ra88, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Started up my laptop a few minutes ago and I saw this. That pink square with the green arrow is not supposed to be there. Already running scans, but does anyone know what it is, and how to best deal with it?

[​IMG]

2. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    The pink square is actually a transparency layer. Typically you shouldn't see it, but I don't think DWM supports transparencies on the Desktop.

As for how to figure out what it is, take a look at Task Manager and look for anything out of the ordinary. Also see if changing your wallpaper makes it go away or not. If it still shows up, you might be able to use AutoIT Windows Info tool that is packaged in here:
    AutoIt Downloads - AutoItScript

That tool is typically used to get relevant app data in order to automate programs and create macros and such, but it may give some details about that item. You can use it by dragging the "Finder Tool" cross hair and drop it onto the arrow or pink part.

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Looks like a certain crappy super hero has been visiting....

4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Thanks for the help. Changed the wallpaper, but that didn't make it go away. I did use the task manager, and found out that it's tied into iexplorer.exe. I haven't used it in years, and yet there were two processes of it running, which struck me as rather bizarre. When I shut that down, it disappeared. Scans turned out with nothing though.

The really bizarre thing is that iexplorer.exe keeps running. When I try to shut it down, it immediately pops back up in the Task Manager's list of processes.

Should it return once I reboot, I'll run that thing you linked, see what that turns up.

5. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

That sounds very, very, very fishy. Sounds like something is trying thru IE.

6. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yeah, definitely something fishy going on with IE. Started it up, and the homepage was set to Conduit.com, with a toolbar that I didn't recognize. Cleared everything, changed homepage, and doing another virus scan just to be safe. Has to be a virus though, because now all my browsers (Firefox, Chrome, and IE) are permanently stuck at loading when I try to open a new url. No error messages either, just blank pages.

I have no idea what this is and it's seriously starting to piss me off...

7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Use system restore. Remember the last good day you hadn't had any problems with it, throw an extra 2-3 days on top of that and restore it to that date. That should take care of it, especially if it's tied to a recent download or installation. If it doesn't, then it's really wormed it's way through the system and you have problems. If your virus software won't do anything about it, you're kinda screwed into doing a factory restore. You need to back up your files, first.

Factory restore is your last resort. Try the other options first.

Check into Acronis. Make your own personal backup image that will allow you to restore all your stuff in one shot with nothing lost. It's a lot of hard work, but worth it in the end.