Weird bidding pattern

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by blahduh, Mar 24, 2008.

1. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

Once in a while I see things like this:

I want a loose figure, so I did a search on that figure, add 5-6 result to my favorite and start bidding on one. The plan was if I failed on current auction I can always try the next one.

First auction ended, I'm not the winner, no problem, trying next auction, still, no win. Ok, check the winner, name's familiar, didn't he just won the last auction? OK, checking the completed history for that figure, what the heck? The same guy was bidding on 90% of the past auctions for this figure(And won 80% of it)

So I don't quite understand this, why bidding on multiple auctions for the same figure? And it's not like he's bidding just 5-6, he's bidding on probably 15-20 auctions for the samething. Any reason for that? I remember there used to be a guy bidding on all the g1 jazz I came across. The most famous story I heard however was the dude who bid on all the g1 dreadwings.

2. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Is that guy still going after Dreadwind? :lol  As I recall, that actually was putting a dent in the eBay market for the guy. Darkwing was just left in a corner to sulk.

The explanation would probably have a lot to do with the figure and it scondition and any number of factors. For all we could tell, the Dreadwind guy was a nut. But if someone was grabbing up every cheap Seeker or Prowl, he might be a customizer or banking on some character's future popularity to try to make a buck.

What bot was it in your instance(s)?

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Don't even get anyone started on the Dreadwing guy... He had several trumpets under the "other related searches" for Dreadwing from searching so much :lol 

4. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

No, really. I want an explanation for that guy. I want to know why he did what he did, and what drives a man to do such a thing. I want to know his personality, his family, his life.

Just as some like to profile killers, I'd like to profile a guy who tries to corner the Ebay market on an old toy airplane that isn't particularly famous or valuable.

The only viable explanation is that he is truly obsessed with Dreadwind, a fan so singularly possessed by Transformers that his devotion makes Mr. Optimus Prime look like a person who has never owned a Transformers figure, but simply thought the 2007 film was "a good popcorn movie". He eats, sleeps, and breathes Dreadwind. He speaks only in phrases Dreadwind has uttered in his comic incarnation. He refuses to answer to any name other than "Dreadwind", and spends the time he does not spend on Ebay deep in his own mind, where he exists in his own universe, a universe where he is Dreadwind. There is no thought more fundamental to him than his identity as a turquoise and purple futuristic aircraft, and his singular desire to purchase every Dreadwind figure in existence stems from his belief that each Dreadwind figure he purchases adds to his own "Dreadwind" powers, and through purchase of every Dreadwind on Ebay, the world that has scorned him will see him as Dreadwind, and tremble before his aerial might.

5. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Maybe he ate the F'n things - :lol 

6. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    :lol 

not the Dreadwind guy. He is a legend in these parts.

7. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    :lol 

8. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    im sad i missed out on this legend...

9. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

Nothing recently, but a while ago there was a guy winning all the 20th prime auctions, he also purchased dvd prime, mp01/mp04 and loose mp prime.

10. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Someone attempted to corner the market on MP Prime?

There's simply too many to even attempt such a thing. I'd imagine the figure is still available in the discount section of some Wal-Marts.

It takes one sort of lunatic to attempt something that is merely bizarre and foreign to the minds of rational humans, and it takes another sort to do something that is simply impossible.

Even if one managed to win every MP Prime figure listed on Ebay for a year, that would probably be less than one-tenth of the figures in existence.