Weekly characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Rodimus, May 24, 2008.

1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I've noticed the show has gone into this weekly trend, replacing the Pokemon "catch 'em all" type of thing with a similar "catch this weeks new allspark fragmented character". It's the type of thing just like the minicons/Cyber keys and like in Pokemon, where every week they search to find a new allspark fragment, and this weeks fragment makes a new character.

My biggest issue though, what has happened to all those characters?? We're 20 something episodes in now, and we've had one appearence (basically) each never to be mentioned or heard from again. Characters like Lockdown, Soundwave, Wreckgar, and now the 2 "Constructicons". Even the Dinobots were only mentioned/appeared in 2 episodes.

Is anyone else frustrated by this? I'd love to find out what happened to them.

Just a little continuing chronological characterisation would be nice. I would've said story arc, but then I think about Cybertron and what an exhausting nightmare that was to wait on. I like the self contained episodes, I just wish the new characters being introduced had an immediate role and impact on the following episodes. What about you?

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uhh the Dinobots had 4 appearances PLUS will get another new episode and cameos, next week we're getting another Lockdown episode, Constructicons gonna get 3 new episodes too and there's no reason to bring back Soundwave or Wreck-Gar.

3. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Thats my only concern about Wreck-Gar's toy.
    Its supposed to be a voyager class.

Will kids like the character enough based on 1 episode to buy the toy?
    I'm predicting Wreck-Gar will be a major shelfwarmer for this line.

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i thought i read Wreck-Gar may return in season 3-same for Soundwave.

LOL imagine the two of them going at it? :crazy: :drunk :popcorn :bay :D :thumb :lol :rock :lolol 

5. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    It's similar to past showswhere a character would be featured and basically be the focal point of an epsiode and then become background filler.

The difference here is that these side characters only show up when they have a role to fill.

6. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I hate that many of the characters are all splintered off.

1) Autobots (Optimus, Bumblebee, Prowl, Ratchet, Bulkhead)
    2) Decepticons (Megatron, Lugnut and Blitzwing)
    3) Dinobots (Grimlock, Snarl, Swoop)
    4) Constructicons (Scrapper and Mixmaster)
    5) Blackarachnia
    6) Starscream
    7) Elite Guard (Ultra Magnus, Jazz, Sentinel Prime)
    8) Soundwave
    9) Swindle
    10) Wreck-Gar
    11) Lockdown
    12) The mysterious blue car...

At least in most other series, it was simply Autobots versus Decepticons. Now everytime we see a new character, they somehow don't join a side, but either become a loner or become deactivated or inert, due to the series plastic nature (Bumblebee keeps learning lessons about teamwork, but forgets them the next episode).

Optimus and Megatron should be looking to recruit some of these jokers, instead of letting them roam the earth. If I were either leader, I be concerned that the other guy might be adding any of these loose ends to his overall ranks.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah it has the Smallville freak-of-the-week feel to it, but I still enjoy it, though I hope next season we get to see more of them and in more episodes. Hell I've even gotten slightly attached to the human villains, especially when they are together.

Lol, the crap that these autobots have to deal with. I love this show.

8. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Umm, SPOILERS but this splintered thing is about to change soon...

And I don't think many factions is a bad thing, anyway! I loved it in Marvel where at times, Megatron and Shockwave both had separate Decepticon forces, when Blaster and Goldbug deserted the Autobots due to Grimlock's tyrannical rule, when Fort Max and Grimlock had two Bot factions... etc... I could add the many sub-groups that came later, like the Cons from Cybertron under Thunderwing, Scorponok's Nebulan expedition force, Megatron's small band he gathered for a revenge plan, etc...

So SPOILERS:

-The mysterious Blue Car is Blurr and he's an Elite Guard member. That makes the Elite guard team number 4 (of course there must be more of them - I reckon Ironhide could be a member too).

- The Constructicons just joined the Decepticon army at the end of "Sari, no-one's home" and will get their Con insiginias in the final two-parter.

- Starscream will lead a short-lived faction composed of... himself! :)  Well, his many clones.

-Later on three of the clones ('Lier', 'Slimey' and 'Miss Screamer') will join Megatron's army, making the Con force quite a large one. And I don't see why they wouldn't stay as permanent cast members.

-The writers hinted that Soundwave will return in Season 3 and will play a major part.

-I have to disagree with you about the Dinobots. They had LOTS of appearances... 6. Blast from the Past (debut), 12 Survival of the Fittest (fighting against Bots and Meltdown later), 15. Megatron Rising 1. (OP's failed attempt to recruit them against the Cons), 17. The Elite Guard (attacking Sentinel Prime), 23. A Fistful of Energon (Prowl pulls out a metal spike from Grimlock's feet), 26. Black Friday (Grimlock teaming up with OP to get Blackarachnia some tools, lots of appearances by all three of them).

That's 6 appearance by them, and we are only ending season 2 (which is technically one season, 2x13 episodes). Look at G1's Season 1 - the Dinobots, being secondary cast, didn't appear much more often!

9. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Kids and us for that matter buy figures who aren't featured in any show. If the toy is interesting enough kids will buy it. I'm also not sure we've heard the last of Wreck-gar or Soundwave.

10. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It can have the Freak of the Week feel. I just want people to start wising up and get some of those wayward characters on some sides.

It's like the Autobots are always gonna be five strong.

11. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I chopped it before I could get spoiled (We just got S.U.V. ). Thank goodness. Getting tired of the same bots and cons...no change in group dynamics. If more Transformers came to Earth, if I were Prime or Megatron, I'd want to know whose side they were on.

12. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They ARE always gonna be five characters strong.

TFA is pretty much done in the same genre as Teen Titans. And TT never introduced a permanent new cast member (Terra only stayed for a few episodes). It's one of the quirks of the show creators, they want to focus on them and make us really know and love them, explore their backstory, etc. They couldn't do that if it was like the old G1 cartoon, where even from the beginning the Autobots were about 15-20 strong... I think this way is not bad, they can always explore new characters in standalone episodes, and since most of them are recurring (I just counted how many times Sentinel Minor/Prime appeared... pretty many!) we will get to know them better.

13. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Next season they will have a 'Where is soundwave now' episode, then a 'Where is Wreck Gar now' episode. This is how it is in American storytelling. Every season they will get some sort of 'return' episode. Sometimes crossovers (like Wreck gar and Soundwave end up crossing paths and shenanigans ensue)