Weekend of cleaning up and fixing.. with a happy end!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kenny278, Apr 13, 2008.

  1. Kenny278

    Kenny278 Fort Max fan

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2007
    Posts:
    268
    Trophy Points:
    76
    Likes:
    +0
    Been fixing up my old G1's ...the dirty .. the damaged and the ugly looking

    I was working this weekend so didn't really get into it but this weekend saw

    Snapdragon ... cleanup .. desticker
    Darkwing cleanup and desticker
    Shockwave... experiment lol

    My cleanup method probably differs from most... its more of a maintenance thing... I take them apart!

    I remove all the screws and give them a quick cleanup with a very very fine sandpaper.. and the dirty/ peeling sticker parts go into more or less boiling water.. then soft toothbrush and soap..

    I had never taken a headmaster apart.. was worried about the "tech" part.. but its all one self contained module! so luck was definately in .. snapdragon had been obviously bathed a couple of times.. so cleaned and stripped and rebuilt

    Darkwing... the same - the head was a bit of a pain to get out before I took him apart.. now no problems..

    Both have tighter joints than before and are nice and clean for new stickers

    My shockwave... sounds worked - lights didn't.. loose joints and generally tatty looking... :( 

    Took him to bits... went round the connections testing them and found the main battery terminals (where the battery meets the contacts inside the toy) solder was a bit dry looking - so resoldered it and now the lights and sounds work great! The small connectors seemed a bit out of alignment so sorted them - all clicking as they should :) 

    Obviously this post would be better with pics but camera batteries are awol again... but I'm really happy that a toy almost as old as I am is now in more or less mint condition again so I had to share :)  :)  though I've noticed a stress mark on one of shockers legs :(  have to find a junker to get him mint again

    Anyone else have some happy endings with fixing? and anyone else mad enough to take 20+ year old toys to bits just to give them a clean and tighten??? unfortunately my junker megs didn't survive the same process.. the main gun screw hole bit the big one... going to have to get the thinking cap on for fixing that. but to be honest there isn't much chrome left on him.. but I enjoy the challenge!

    Next up..... just how many parts does Fort max reduce to.... only kidding lol!!

    Will have to go ... away to annoy the cat some more with shockwave lol
     
  2. taterx

    taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2006
    Posts:
    1,718
    Trophy Points:
    177
    Likes:
    +2
    I have had episodes like this where I'll take to cleaning a fig, end up taking it apart and it's better than before. That is a good feeling.
     
  3. salmonman78

    salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    Posts:
    2,589
    Trophy Points:
    167
    Likes:
    +1
    About to start doing this with some figures, the whole resto process. sounds like a relaxing hoot
     
  4. Mightion

    Mightion There is ALWAYS room.

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2004
    Posts:
    301
    News Credits:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    121
    Likes:
    +1
    It's always nice to look up from my monitor and see my Defensor and Bruticus standing there in their reproduction stickers, and I look to my left to see Computron and Abominus in their reproduction stickers, too.

    The best part of restickering and cleaning gestalts for me, was when the last sticker was in place, and I recombined them for the first time. :) 
     
  5. Codimus Prime

    Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2006
    Posts:
    3,515
    Trophy Points:
    186
    Likes:
    +0
    Read the thread on G1 Blaster... I managed to make the door work on mine... :) 
     

Share This Page