wedding question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    okay, this question is for those that have been to the altar, endured a wedding or two and knows a thing or two about em.

i have a wedding invitation and i want to go (it is at the end of May). i want to look nice, but i also do not want to look like a propped up corpse in row 12...
    meaning, i don't want a plain-jane suit of black, blue, or whatever.

what i want to know is:

can i wear just about any kind of suit as long as it is indeed a suit and it isn't too flashy?

like i would love to just once, wear something like this:
    [​IMG]
    to a formal event. the pants are loose enough for dancing at the reception, it is a dark color, and i can take leave the hat off if i want.

i could be bolder and go for this red one:
    [​IMG]
    but as i said, i am not sure if that would be too flashy for a wedding (but seems okay for a reception, right?)

any help with this so i can make plans to pick out something soon would be great.

2. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have seen people wear them before and I will have no problems if people wore zoot suits to my wedding. Heck. I've seen people show up in jeans and t-shirts in formal weddings and people didn't have a problem with it.

3. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Eh. I'd be kind of annoyed if somebody had come to my wedding dressed in a suit like that. Not annoyed enough to say anything or to hold a grudge, though. Just a bit annoyed...

...'cuz dammit, I'm in the monkey suit and you get to wear somethin' fun.:( 

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Just remember, the wedding is about the bride. I'd say go for it if there is a theme and you are in the wedding party, but I have a feeling you'd already have the answer if you were.

I wouldn't.

5. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^Yup. It ain't about you, man. Just wear a suit like the other sheep, and be happy for them.

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I guess it depends. Are you part of the family, friends, or just a "plus 1"? If you were my brother, I wouldn't care because I would expect that from him. If you were some guy, I would hate you at my wedding.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    my advice is run it it past the bride and groom first , email them a pic and get their thoughts.

It seems okay to me but then again I hate suits with a passion.

8. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree. To some people(especially the bride), they want a perfect wedding. To others, they are happy with your presence and want to share that day with friends and family regardless what a couple of people decide to wear.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    If you have to ask, you probably should not wear it. Even by posting this question you have set up some doubt in your mind and probably would feel out of place if you went ahead with the suit.
    Also, don't ask the bride and groom, they are planing a wedding, they have enough on their plate as it is.
    Just me 2 cents.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yes! The people who attended our wedding were simply dressed modestly and to the degree of "niceness" they were comfortable with. The attention is on the bride and the bridegroom, so I'd simply recommend just trying to "look nice" and blend in well.

11. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Look sexy and do yourself up all pretty. But don't outdo the wedding participants. Then you're just a jerk.

12. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I wouldn't mind if someone showed up to my wedding wearing that. Just make sure you have the tie and jacket on (jacket can come off when you get to your seat at the reception--tie once you hit the dance floor). People look like fools when they show up to a formal wedding without a tie.. I almost want to walk over to them and hand them a check for $40 when I see that.

13. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

If you have any doubts, I wouldn't do it. If you really want to, then I would ask somebody you know who is in the wedding party what they think. You don't attend a wedding to draw attention to yourself; you go for the people who are getting married.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Turn up wearing a wedding dress and just hope the bride isn't wearing a similar outfit.

Seriously though, just go in a normal suit. Save the pimp suit for when you're slapping hookers.

15. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The wedding is about the bride and groom. After the wedding, people should be talking about the bride and groom, not about THAT one guy who wore THAT suit. I can't say one way or another if the suit in the pics are THAT suit but if you have to ask then it might be. If you are going to a prom or some formal event like that where it's not about a person or couple then by all means go all out. But for a wedding try not to draw attention to yourself unless you are the bride or groom.

16. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I personally see nothing wrong with the darker zoot suit. Heck even the red one can slide depending on how anal the bride and groom are.
    I've witnessed a man in a bright LIME GREEN suit once. He wasn't trying to grab attention he was just tacky and wearign what he liked. I don't think a suit can steal too much light from the bride and groom. But your suit being a zoot suit will make you an easy target. Talk to the bride and or groom get their consent.

Personally I always viewed the wedding reception as a party and not to be rained on with too much pomp and circumstance.

17. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

OOOOOOOO a shiny...I understand why you want to wear a nice suit but that thing is too shiny and shiny stuff equals polyester which means sweat machine.

18. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Don't want to be just another guy in a suit? Then go for kilt!

19. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

I never under any circumstances wear a tie. I'd heartily accept that $40 :lol 
    No one looks like a bigger doofus than the tie wearer who ties his tie around his head like a headband.. you know, once he's "tied one on" *dodges rocks*

I'd never wear that zoot suit though as it looks absolutely ridiculous. My friend had a wedding like that where they all dressed up like 30's gangsters.. it was afwul beyond words.

20. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I second that.I'm sure the wedding couple will be more happy that you are there,than to judge what you are wearing.