Web Music Fees Could Be 'End of On-Line Streaming"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by honestgabe, Mar 16, 2007.

1. honestgabe

honestgabe I

CNN Link
    another link

Basically, the CRB has passed a motion that will increase the rate paid for songs streamed online. So much show that it would hurt public and non profit radio stations. Stations run by the likes of Clear Channel don't have anything to worry about.

But if this does indeed happen, it would be a great shame as most public radio stations offer such eclectic and diverse range of music that commercial radio severely lacks. I'm from Philadelphia and one of the best radio stations in the whole country is WXPN, who currently has three distinct streams set up, would probably have to close down their online stations. Others include KCRW in Cali (whose Morning Becomes Eclectic is a personal favorite of mine), WFMU in Jersey City, or KEXP in Seattle.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

This seems terribly unreasonable. Incresing the rates is one thing, but by 20 to 30 times what it is now? That's insane.

3. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Yeah, also it hurts those online radio sites with no terrestrial counterpart. I have a Last.FM account and they have an excellent service where it tracks your listening habits and makes a radio station personalized with music that would interest you. Its the best thing, and they too would be hurt financially by this. Also Pandora.com is another that I use quite frequently.