Web Diver questions

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by jorod74, Oct 6, 2010.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    who collects Web Diver?
    you really include them in the TF collection?
    i keep seeing Web Diver listed as TF line, (never seen em in person) but not sure where they belong in the TF universe/toy lines.

just curious about em and if anyone really likes em.

2. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I currently down own any web diver toys. and probably don't want to.

I take that web diver gradion on & off my want list. it's a beautiful toy mold. that i'm still debatting whether I want it or not.

Web diver was created by takara so it can be considered as a transformers toy/s. after all the takara designers designed them.

rumor has it,web diver used those BM transtech designs the max. as is clearly seen in all the toys.

I consider brave & robotech valkykre VF-1 toys are transformers toys.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Umm...

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    God, don't start up that crap again...

Transformers is a brand name. If it doesn't say Transformers on the packaging, it's not Transformers. I don't know how I can be any more clear than that.

5. QmTablit

Exactly. Takara and now TakaraTomy design and produce MANY more toylines than just Diaclone and Transformers.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I do, I have a complete collection.

They're not part of my TF collection, they're in a China cabinet in the living room along with my complete Dai Gunder collection, next to the TV for play when people are over and interested.

They are a completely different series. Heck, they had their own TV show and everything. The TV show wasn't that bad either. It's the novelty of a video game and transforming unit all in one.

I like them for what they are. They are not Transformers, nor are they particularly good robot toys. Furthermore they were hella expensive at the time which is what killed them.

As a video game and toy in one, they are kick-ass.

7. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    web diver and diagunder are awsome toys, no they aint tf's, but they are their own entity and equally impressive. I would recommend them to any tf fan that wants to broaden their horizons on collecting transforming robots.

8. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

How about those igear,fanprojects stuff. I don't see any Hasbro/takara stamps on the toys, no TF logos on the box or instructicons .:) :) :thumb 

Seems like various TF fans make up their own rules,so I can also. :dj 

9. QmTablit

:rolleyes: 

That's apples and oranges. You're talking about a couple of small time companies skirting around copyright and Intelligent Property laws. That's not the same as the same company making a COMPLETELY SEPARATE AND DIFFERENT TOYLINE.

You do know TakaraTomy do more than just Transformers, right?

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if TFWiki doesn't include them, then that's a safe bet they aren't really transformers.
    I'll keep that in mind.

if the attribution to Takara leads to them being mislabeled as Transformers, that seems pretty thin a reason to call em that.

Personally, since i had never really seen these or knew about them, i had the idea they were like the Zone characters/toys with nothing really tying them to the main TF lines in any recognizable way.

glad to learn something new, though.

11. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I see you're still making friends...

12. takeittothemax

takeittothemax Member

I bought my wife Web diver Galleon for Christmas. She loves it and it's easily one of the best transformer (little t) robots we own. How can you beat a dragon with an eyepatch that turns into a pirate ship? I love that all 16 of his cannons are individually articulated.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Web Diver and Dai Gunder are spiritual successors to the Brave legacy. They were released in 2001 and 2002, in the gap between Car Robots and Micron Densetsu, with the intention of giving Takara a series of toy releases and weekly cartoons like Brave did for them following Transformers Victory. They were not nearly as popular though, in the case of Dai Gunder retailers had to be blackmailed into carrying the line under threat of not receiving shipments of the extremely popular Beyblades if they did not also take Dai Gunder toys.

The style of the toys is mostly completely different to that of the Transformers, with robot designs being distinctly more "kiddy" with more rounded edges, more human faces, though that is part of their charm. They also tend to go for the "vehicle - mechanical animal" transformation with very few having actual robot modes in their stand alone forms.

They do have some good points though. Web Diver has a toy called Galeon, who is a transforming Viking War Galley. Web Diver also has Daitaleon who is a headmaster type robot, who transforms into what can only be described as an HG Wells inspired steam powered Airship. Looks more like something from Final Fantasy than anything I've seen elsewhere. Very cool toy though.

As for if they're Transformers - probably even less so than Brave. The style is so far removed it's hard to say they're even similar. Brave at least has some Transformers design elements and reuses a few molds. Web Diver / Dai Gunder went in a completely different direction and comes out with some extremely different design styles that don't mesh well with any Transformers line. I've already stated my opinion that Transformers =/ Brave, for the same reasons I hold these two lines as their own entities. There's not even the most tenuous connection there.

As far as being designed by the same guys - does that mean Beyblades are in too? Because one or two of the current Transformers team assisted with the transforming Beyblades there. Saying something is connected due to being designed by the same person is a pretty tenuous connection - end of the day it's work, it's a job. Unless there's an interview with the designer that says "I intended this for Transformers but couldn't do it there so I managed to sneak it in here", that's the only connection I could be willing to accept.

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Goddammit, I hate you.

15. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here we go again. <popcorn>

16. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Theres a difference between unlicense toys that was designed to go with existing transformers (but not using the name transformers) and a toy line with transforming robots that was never meant to be related to transformers. What next? Metal Jack, Gridman also being transformers? B-Daman Bakugaiden too?