Web browser problem

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by FreshDebesh, Nov 27, 2009.

1. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Hey guys, I recently had a virus that posed as an antivirus that was trying to install itself into my system. It pretty much locked me out from starting any applications like a virus scanner or what have you. I rebooted in safe mode, ran Spybot and cleaned it out. However, now my problem is that all my web browsers, except Firefox don't work. I tried IE, Chrome and Safari and none of those work, even though Firefox does. My IM programs, AVG update and things like that all still download fine. Even when I load IE, Chrome or Safari, I get the icon for say, Yahoo in the address bar but the page says it can't load. Any ideas on this? I'm completely stumped. I do regular virus checks with AVG, scan with Spybot and CC Cleaner on a regular basis.

2. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    the only thing those 3 have in common (assuming you're using windows mind you) is that they all point to same connectivity settings. check that something didn't get messed up in your settings there.

firefox uses local configuration settings, so it would be unaffected by that.

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    i ran into that problem my self and the only way i found to totally get rid of it and get things back to normal was a hard drive reformat

4. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Was the virus claiming to be AntiVirus2009 or 2008? If so, Spybot won't solve the issue, it only removes part of it. it's an indepth process. best bet is to google "removing [your virus' name here] virus" and only click on what appear to be real tech sites.

5. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Same exact thing happened to me a few days ago. I had to restart IE. It cleans out all your saved passwords and such but its the only way to get into it again.

To do this go to tools>internet options>advanced>reset

It worked for me. Let me know if this works.

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

7. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah had this a while ago...was the most troublesome virus to remove. i used everything in my arsenal (McAfee, Spybot, Malwarebytes Anti-malware, SuperAntivirus, and couple other)

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Avast Anti-Virus is your friend.

9. FreshDebesh

Ok guys, quick update. I did that IE reset thing a few days ago but it didn't help. I messed with my LAN settings through internet explorer, and apparently I had the proxy box checked and didn't have check my settings automatically checked, which I believe caused the problem. I unchecked the proxy box and checked the automatic settings box. So now all my web browsers work fine.

I also downloaded Malwarebytes like TheIncredibleHulk suggested, (that sounds funny typing it out) and it picked up the residual for that "antivirus" virus. Great piece of software! Thanks guys for all the help.

10. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    damn I got that same exact antivirus thing the other day, wonder where its coming from. My malwarebytes kicked its ass though

11. TheIncredibleHulk

I see those so called "antivirus" programs almost on a daily basis. Different names, but almost always the same symtoms. Malwarebytes seems to be the wonder cure for all of them. Of course, if they start making the viruses immune to the program, we're all screwed.

12. FreshDebesh

Anyway to stop them from even popping up? I tried doing some research on these fake antiviruses but didn't find much. Must be a newer sort of thing.

13. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    the one i had masqeraded as a security suite and unless you paid to get an activation code it kept your pc wide open to any additional virus and what not and i tried downloading Malwarebytes but something, i suspect the virus kept it from installing properly so i was left with no choice but to do a hard drive wipe

14. TheIncredibleHulk

Thats the problem. They seem to come out from nowhere. A co-worker's girlfriend was surfing the net one day and one just popped up on her. I think he said she was looking up movie tickets or something.

15. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I just try to be faster than the pop up and ex out of the browser completely.

16. FreshDebesh

Well the popup doesn't come from within the browser when its open. It just pops up on your desktop or whatever you're doing and tries to install it self. You can't ex out of your desktop :p 

17. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Oh ok, I am thinking of a different one then. There is one that it takes over the page you are viewing but you can still ex out of it.

18. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    I got nailed again XD but the program played real dirty this time, it disabled all browsers on my pc ( accept to let me give them money), wouldn't let me access windows task manager or the add or remove programs on the control panel and prevented me from going to safe mode so i had no choice but to do another hard drive wipe.

any suggests for free software to prevent it from getting me again ?

19. CowColor

CowColor Get Money™

where are you guys getting these virus from? i've been using my computers for 5 years without getting any serious viruses. My first year i got some, but after that year i rarely have them. Now i don't have them at all. I get technical issues but that are extremely rare, only when i'm bored and try to changes some settings.

My friend had a similar virus like yours but it was called security tool. I just told him to do a clean install of the OS.

The virus was gone (of course what did you expect?)

20. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    it hit me this time when i went to a website i had gone to hundreds of times with out problems, I have d/led and installed AVG and the program mentioned here and hopefully between the 2 i can keep from having to do another hard drive wipe