Customs: Weathering, what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What does weathering mean? Is it when the figure's body-panels and detailing is highlighted? Or what? Or does it mean it's painted to look like it's been rusting out side?

2. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    The latter, but not that severe. Best example is probably an active-duty fighter plane. They get maintained daily, but no matter what--they've got dirt, streaks, dings, and leaks.

Edges and details being highlighted is more of a side-effect, though it's often the goal for modelers.

3. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

Usually means an excuse for a customizer to do a black paint dry wash or paint wipe. It doesn't really look like realistic weathering, but it's a cool effect and you're never gonna get real weathering short of building a metal figure and letting it rust in places and get scratched a bit, although technically TF's only rust from cosmic rust.

Mathius

4. Tigertrack

I've been a member of a model-car building forum and I've seen some pretty amazing finishes. A lot of people like to build model cars from the 40's-50's and you should see the rusting jobs they've accomplished on those models! Very realistic.
    I'm just a very basic rattle-can spray paint type of guy so I have no idea what you mean by dry washing or paint whipping.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Walmart Masterpiece Starscream is a pretty good example of weathering with all the burn streaks on him.

6. Tigertrack

I've yet to see one in person so that does not help me. But when I have the chance, I'll have a look. Thank's!

7. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wrong there. What about Mojo Pee?

8. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

The really good guys apply a chemical that causes actual rust to form. They brush on a little bit of paint that has a special solution heavy with iron in it, and then use the rusting solution to create actual rust: YouTube - How to RUST a model car.

You paint the figure in its base color, and then you rub a small amount of a dark color, usually black onto the figure. As you wipe it clean the paint won't come out of the little cracks on the figure and it leaves what is referred to as a paint wipe finish. Some guys will use a brush, others a simple napkin or kleanex. Really talented guys like Encline just use an airbrush to shadow the figure.

Here's a shot of an insecticon that FrenzyRumble did. His method is very subtle. At a glance it looks like a normal paint job, but when you look up close and the edges you can see the darker colors. The thighs in general, it's obvious there are more than one layer of paint. You can also see the subtle orange around the yellow on the chest plate.
    [​IMG]

I have no idea what you're talking about. Isn't that the dog from those lame-ass movies?

Mathius