Weapons Question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jorod74, Feb 28, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bet this is the lamest question of the week, but man i am so stumped by this.

Where do Transformers reload their weapons?

You got all these different bots with pretty spectacular projectile weapons, but where do they get their reloads from?

Like the Nokia-bot in the 07 movie- where does he get more bullets from after shooting all of it? (i know they zapped him, but the question is still there.)

Like the G1 Seekers- in the cartoon, they shot lasers.
    but the toys had missiles.

Energy weapons made sense. but the projectile weapons make me think that after a few battles, they would be worthless without a stockpile of spare ammo somewhere.

2. Spoon

Spoon Banned

I've always wondered the same thing.

Subspace, probably.

3. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    unicron...taps into the allspark and transmits new ammo thru subspace to his followers...

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the autobots had a stockpile in the immobilizer episode in g1 when ironhide was showing carly the base, that's the only time i think it was shown though

5. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They regrow missiles from their regenerative armor. In the movieverse at least.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    They all have infinite ammo headbands built into their bodies somewhere.

7. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Awww, now I remember how someone said that their ammo is kinda formed from the "waste" material in their bodies, and then someone else said "Ewww, you mean that like monkey's, they fight by throwin' their own **** at eachother!?"

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Well, obviously it's all about animation shortcuts and lazy writing. A lot of TF's use projectile weapons, so yeah... where to the reloads come from?

My theory at this point is that in some cases they have a stockpile, that is diminishing with each battle... which honestly seems very appropriate considering the resource crisis the Cybertronians are supposedly in, and why they're simply in love with Earth for it's natural resources.

Also, I think that they also need to machine their own ammunition... or rather, Wheeljack probably does it. Just think... there are no Cybertronian munitions factories, no gun shops, no standardized equipment grades... they don't have any of that on Earth, and those structures were probably the first things to go back home in the first million years or so of war. Every TF on the Ark practically has a unique weapon with it's own ammo, so they probably just have to do it the old-fashioned way... it all gets made from scratch in Wheeljack's lab.

Following that logic, they'd probably want to conserve their ammo as much as possible, which might explain why TFs often end up in fistfights rather than straight gunfights.

A third option, and one I could see the Decepticons using, would be to instead customize their machine guns and rocket launchers (where applicable) to accept Earth-grade munitions. Skywarp and Thundercracker for example use heavy grade machine guns and fairly conventional missiles that are not dissimilar from the type of ordinance carried by Earth fighter jets. Buzzsaw's mortars and Ravage's bombs could be adapted for human-designed explosive charges. That way, they can just steal ammunition from human industry... that would be the Decepticon way. Why conserve when everything they need is there for the taking?

zmog

9. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

In G1, they don't have any qualms about converting matter into energy. Example: Megatron can shift from a giant robot into a handgun that has the same mass as a normal one that can be wielded by a human. All that mass has to go somewhere, so I figure it gets shifted to energy and stored. So the reverse is likely also true - Transformers can shift energy into matter, a lá the replicators and holodecks of Star Trek. This isn't to say that they have infinite supplies, though, since it has been established that they require large quantities of energy to accomplish such feats.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, I try to shy away from the super-science explanations in general. I prefer as much as possible to turn a blind eye to mass-shifting, and I welcomed IDW's explanation of a highly energy consumptive "mass displacement" tech that only select Decepticons would have. It seemed to scale back the ridiculousness of mass-shifting by making it something special, rare and costly.

And here's the question... if you could convert energy into mass, but doing so required a tremendous amount of additional energy... what would be the point of making solid projectile ammunition for weapons? Why not just use all that energy to power energy blast weapons more efficiently? There's no logic there.

Not that "logic" really has a place in a discussion about cartoon physics anyway... ;) 

zmog

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Sort of wondered that myself. Seems like they went out and purchased those Hollywood weapons that never need to be reloaded. The ones where you have to wonder have these people ever fired a real weapon in their lives.

With the cartoons I always figured it was just the lazy plots we get where the writers never bother to think how many shots something would have before it either ran out of ammo or ran out of power. You see that in lots of cartoons though so Transformers isn't the only ones with the unlimited ammo cheat code in.

The movie though I thought realism was the whole big thing, yet they also seem to have jumped on the action movie I can shot this thing forever wagon.

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I always took it as there were really three types of weapons.

First you had internalized weapons, like, Omega Supreme's many weapons, Targetmasters, or many other Transformers (Like Cosmos!), where they are part of the their superstructures. These weapons ran off the Transformers own power supply. Hence, overfiring them could leave a TF weak.

Then you had seperate weapons, like Primes or anyone elses laser/electronic weaponry. These weapons ran off a similar idea, but used a stand-alone power pack to work. Each shot would deplete the power pack until it was discharged and the weapon was then "out of ammo". I would hazard a guess that it would fit well "in continuity" that once a pack was discharged, it was replaced or recharged at a base like a battery. Furthermore, it would make sense that given a war that has become so resource intensive, that a weapon that could be recharged via nearly any means would be a weapon of choice. I'd also lump the Seekers arm weapons in this group, as we've seen them be detached and still used as a rifle type weapon, as well as Megatron Fusion Cannon (in most continuities).

Lastly you had the physical launcher weapons, like the Seeker boob missles, or any other TF that launched a weapon. These were limited to what the TF had on them, and would have to be reloaded later once the payload was delivered. This would explain why we rarely saw actual missles fired, as they would be hardest to manufacture and replace once fired, same with the Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen/Tracks/Sideswipe whoever else who had shoulder missles but essentially never fired them, leaving the physical projectiles as a weapon of last resort/only for real gains.

Given that, I would see a large part of the repairs phase including recharging weapon power packs, even if it's not explicitly seen often. Not to mention after millenia of warfare, that battery technology for the power packs would've gotten very good, offering a lot of shots off a single charge.

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this was one of those things that nagged me.
    acid pellet guns
    cerebro shells
    missiles

those aren't infinite supply weapons.

and i hope nobody's throwing a fecal weapon around.

14. Lakanl

Lakanl Footmaster

My question is, where did the Nokia-bot get it's ammo from in the first place? Did the all spark somehow give it to him when he was transformed into a transformer?

And what about the other Made on earth bots form G1? Like the Dinobots or the Stunticons or the Aerialbots? Did they just have spare weapons laying around? Or is it when your given life as a transformer you just get a weapon of some sort built in and you are built knowing what it is and exactly how to use it?

And what bout specialty Weapons like Starscream's Null-Ray? He used it all the time, and it never slowed him down. And when Megatron took all of the Decipticons specialty weapons and fought Optimus one on one. He used all of those non stop. They may not be weapons but they can't be in any way unlimited, can they?

also
    'Don't worry about ammo' *points to headband* That was an awesome scene.

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They all input infinite ammo cheat codes.

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I guess after several million years of war, they've come up with weapons that can take sustained fire without reloading. It's anime mecha / Super Robot Wars game logic. No matter the weapon, as long as you've got the energy, you can keep on blasting.

17. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wizards?

18. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

Energy-to-matter conversion on a higher level.

19. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Optimus Prime's trailer :) 

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That would be any Munky Bot. :wink: