we really dont understand astronomy...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, May 12, 2007.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

After a computer crash and a vacation...I can share some discussion with my genious step brother. He is being paid by Purdue to study Gamma ray bursts using the varitas telescopes on the same mountain that the wipple observatory is also located on, south of tucson....do your research:wink:  I provide no links...

I asked him about how much the human mind REALLY understands astronomy...he said we do not understand 97 percent of it! We have little proof of dark matter...it shows up in equations...but even gamma rays can BARELY pick it up...the best images are poor to say the least. I saw them on his computer...pretty lame...

I could go into depth why...(the receptors that feed into the camera of veritas are 30 years old...i think, I could be wrong...)

ps...look up veritas!

2. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

That's fascinating, but how do you really feel?

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

hmmm....I feel we are using sticks and stones to try and understand physics.

4. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

500 years from now, we still won't understand everything out there.

The universe is too large for us to fully understand it. We've come so far and have so far to go.

But, I'd be interested to hear you "go into depth." Make sure to have an extra drink or two before you do.

5. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Hell, between you, gamer and Autovolt, I don't understand most of the stuff on this very board.

6. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw the thread title on the main forum listing and I just knew who the originator of it was going to be.
    It's no longer a sport now.

And seriously, not providing links to begin with was fun.
    Now it's just plain rude and boring.

Oh and it's 'genius'
    Guess he got the brains in the family.

7. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I got the very same feeling, that 'uh-oh, here we go again!' feeling.

8. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

We as humans understand our Astronomy, understanding the universe is still something to grasp.

9. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Now astrology ... there's something we can all understand.

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Astronomy... hell I still don't understand women, even while living with one for the past 11+ years.

oh and eyeball kid, here you need to start posting at this board: http://bautforum.com/

I'm "snabald" over there, I'm sure you could strike up some interesting conversation with those guys.

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I understand astronomy.

ALL OF IT.

Of course, it helps that I'm omnipotent and part of the continuum.

12. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I did some research and now I know that when there is an eclipse a dragon is trying to swallow the moon.

13. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

*facepalm*

14. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The universe is a pretty big place. I think it's safe to say we'll never fully understand it.

15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Eyeballkid: Stating the Obvious

In stores now!

16. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

um...yeah

17. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Holy cow, Phil Plait FTW

18. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

So when you show up randomly to harass Starfleet captains, do you wear four pips, or Admiral's bars?

More on topic, I don't think we're going to really get a grasp on physics, astronomy, etc, until we get off this rock and get out there. Build the frickin' Enterprise, y'know?

19. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Despite all of the sensing and visualizing technology that we've got for detecting changes in the sky, we're still -for about 70% of Earth's astronomy research - talking about taking readings through an atmosphere which bends and distorts light a bit, which means we need to compensate for that. Additionally, there is always that smidge of light pollution to mess up planet-based astronomy work, as well as changes in the weather, pollution content of the atmosphere, etc. Now, granted, astronomers have essentially thought up a compensating equation for all of those variables, but the variables do add up...and, when you're working with that many compensations, there is a frustrating (albiet small) amount of human error. Not always, obviously, but there have been times when astronomers publish data on a new star or novae to find out that it was false readings. Orbiting satellites have solved a lot of these problems, but again, they're just stuck here - on Earth. The farther we fling our satellites (like Voyager, the Pioneers, New Horizons, etc.) the more data we get back - and some of that data is downright incredible.

Where I'm trying to go with this is that, yeah, Spekkio's right, in a sense - being close to an object has always made that object easier to examine. However, we've got a whole goddamn galaxy that we're unable to go check out because, simply enough, we have enough problems on this planet. For every intelligent, awe-inspired physicist or researcher who might have a breakthrough solution to getting our bodies through space faster than the ol' cryo-freeze concept, there's a skeptic, politician or gaggle of talking media heads who point out each and every negative implication of that solution. The sad thing about that is, yeah - there are answers out there, in the galaxy, to problems here on Earth. Sure, it's needle in a haystack, but there are alternative solutions to at least some of the economic, social or industrial problems our planet has on our very own 9 planets.

...so, we're here. Boo. There's a lot of fantastic stuff on Earth - and a lot of problems to be solved by said physicists and researchers, too - but, in my opinion, it's a damn shame that, for now, that's all we've got. We can observe the galaxy, but we can't participate. ...and yeah, for all of our understanding of astronomical bodies, I think we're still stuck at grunting and pointing up, even if it's with 60x lens telescopes, for a while. :( 

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    well, duh. of course its all deductions. thats why theyre called "theories".

doesnt mean the boffins should start sitting on their asses tho. eventually they find practical applications for these things.