We need toys of IDW's MTMTE designs, stat.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SPLIT LIP, Jul 8, 2012.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Seriously, it needs to be done. Lately I've been finding Prime and FOC's offerings to be just so... standard. They're boring. And so based on MTMTE being the best TF fiction we've had in years no exceptions I've been collecting G1 versions of all the characters, then it hit me: More Than Meets The Eye, as a comic, has made me buy product, product from years ago, even with reissue/vintage prices. Why can't we have toys of these designs instead of more lackluster Prime figures? I'd give all my Prime toys for a few MTMTE characters. The storytelling behind these characters has sold me more than the TV ever could have. And the thing is, MTMTE's designs are great. They're not standard G1 designs, they're really interesting and unique.

I mean, it's a travesty that these amazing characters and designs are getting glossed over for Prime and FOC, and while neither of those lines are bad, I would be throwing money at Hasbro if I could get these. I'd gladly buy toys based off the these well-rounded characters at full price, even with today's markup, over any Prime toy on discount.

I know it's probably not gonna happen, least of all any time soon, but it just stinks that these great stories and characters are being overlooked in favour of hollow archtypes just because one is a cartoon aping the movies and one is a wholey unique thing. Just another reason why MTMTE should be a TV show and James Roberts should write more stuff.

2. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Ah yes, we spoke of this on xbox live earlier. In fact...pretty sure I pitched this you fucking idea thief

Nah but seriously, yes, I am in full agreement. MTMTE needs toys more than anything else in the fucking universe.

3. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seconded. I love what IDW's been doing in recent years. We've been asking the same thing of Hasbro in regards to Marvel Legends for years, as well: modern designs, matching the current comic aesthetics. Still doesn't happen too often..

4. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Show me proof, poof.

5. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    I was recording our entire conversation ahahahahAHAHAHAHAHA

I have nothing :( 

6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be opposed to having toys of the MTMTE comic as well as a show as well. I'd love to have a Voyager Megatron basd off his Stealth Bomber version.

Though is really calling both Prime and FOC hollow archtypes a bit harsh? Prime's really taking inspiration from the movies rather then aping it whatever that means. It'll be like calling Batman TAS a show aping off the Tim Burton films, and FOC arguably has something similer to the designs of MTMTE. If you look at Shockwave's design in both the book and the game they're pretty similer and I won't be surpised to see the characters from the games looking like the MTMTE designs when they get to Earth.

7. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Haven't read the comic yet (I WILL EVENTUALLY SPLIT GEEZ) but I think the designs look really cool. It'd be neat if we got a few of them in Generations, but Hasbro is going to put the new cartoon line and the more requested G1 homage and Video Game toylines first, so I'd be surprised if we got more than a couple, let alone any.

8. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    But the MTMTE guys are G1 references. And they look better. WHO LOSES IF CLASSICS TRAILBREAKER IS MILNE'S DESIGN AND NOT A FAT BOX MAN

9. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Well yeah, but I meant like, cartoon stuff.

10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    *Sees Kaijuguy posted*

*puts on rubber gloves*

Absolutley not.

You don't even know what MTMTE is.

Shockwave isn't in MTMTE. And the reason he, Ironhide, Starscream, Bumblebee, and all the other more popular chumpions look like the FOC designs is because they are taken wholesale from the games.

MTMTE's designs, at best, are loosely inspired because they all have some of those light up bits, but that's really just for continuity between books.

EEEEAAAARRRRGGHHH YYYESSSS

You're cartoon stuff.

The thing is, MTMTE's designs are more than suitable updates, they're the best most of the characters have ever looked, combining everything Hasbro wants in Classics-style. G1-focused with elements of whatever's popular tossed in. The only checkbox they don't fill is teh Earth mode one, but a few of them could easily pass for Earth cars and, well, FOC has not problem with Cybertronian stuffs.

11. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Which cartoon are we talking about? The G1 cartoon or Prime? Because I do get the video game line.

12. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Haven't read them, but I've heard they are truly great. I also like the designs a lot, while the WfC/FoC designs don't excite me too much. Cybertronian modes never did too much for me, but the ones in these latest IDW comics are pretty cool looking and the robots are very cool.

13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't know, but either way it doesn't change things.

14. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro made a Drift figure, so it is possible that they could do more comic inspired figures. That would be very good.

15. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    They did say at Botcon that after they did the FOC figures for awhile, Generations would focus again on G1 homages and comic figures (hopefully while mentally masturbating to the idea of Whirl and Cyclonus in toy form)

16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Every time someone says this a happy part of me dies and is replaced with urine.

Mostly because a lot of them actually keep Earthy elements to their designs. Some of them come across as almost more like futuristic vehicles.

And this is what gives me hope. If Doriftoru can get a toy, anything's possible.

BTW his new design is kickass on so many levels.

17. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I see you came prepared. :lol 

I figured that was your answer. :lol 

Okay then thanks for telling me this. It's just that I've heard that on Shockwave's TFwiki page they said his IDW pre earth form is basically like his FOC version. And I can see the others have done the same thing too.

18. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I know I should, It's just that I don't buy many things online which is the only way for me to get them over here. And I definitely won't be pirating them. Heck, I don't read many comics in general but these I'd definitely buy if they were sold at local stores.

I at least read the summaries in tfwiki.... *I'm sad now*

19. Crystal Convoy

Crystal Convoy Huh? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Fucking yes! I need a Rung figure now.

20. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, in RiD, anyone who was in WFC has their design from it. Even Prowl, whose body cousin Bluestreak was in the DS games.